Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

That Greyhound building was a mess. I usually don't condone tearing something down for a parking lot, but that was one example I can get behind.

That Greyhound building was a mess. I usually don't condone tearing something down for a parking lot, but that was one example I can get behind.

Oh, I agree with that, in that case it was no real loss. I just tossed it out as a nearby example of what tends to happen when the gears of redevelopment move very slowly.

I share your fear, the only things keeping me optimistic that it won't happen are the lot on the southwest corner was ordered to be fenced off and closed, and I really don't think there's much demand in the area for more parking. There's multiple huge lots within a block of the site.

Actually…

there's definitely a demand for more parking in the area. I used to drive to work at Adelaide and Sherbourne, but when surface lots started to close for condo construction (Ivory, Post House, etc.), everything else nearby started filling up, and it would take me longer to find parking in the area than it did to actually drive down.

Yup, that lot at the former Greyhound site fills up faaast, and that Sobey's can't be as profitable as a parking lot that only needs one minimum wage employee per day and zero maintenance costs, raking in $20/car/day with a couple hundred spots. That is a profitable way to sit on a property, and considering the current buildings on that site, I don't think anyone will lose any sleep over it.

Parking in the area is now harder to come by. While I thought Sobeys was pretty crappy (It was always empty and the quality of the food was meh) losing it is disappointing. There still isn't a store in the immediate area that sells a decent amount of Organic fruits and veggies. I guess Metro is the closest....but that's a bit of a trek.

Actually…

there's definitely a demand for more parking in the area. I used to drive to work at Adelaide and Sherbourne, but when surface lots started to close for condo construction (Ivory, Post House, etc.), everything else nearby started filling up, and it would take me longer to find parking in the area than it did to actually drive down.

Interesting. Now that I think of it, I'm never in the area during work hours since I work elsewhere and live here, so I guess that's why I never see the lots packed.

Parking in the area is now harder to come by. While I thought Sobeys was pretty crappy (It was always empty and the quality of the food was meh) losing it is disappointing. There still isn't a store in the immediate area that sells a decent amount of Organic fruits and veggies. I guess Metro is the closest....but that's a bit of a trek.
This was the argument at the OMB about the 'temporary parking lot" on the Greyhound site at 154 Front - just across the road. The Official Plan says "There will be no new surface parking lots in St Lawrence" but the OMB said that "no" means "yes" and they have permission for that one until September 2014. The City and the neighbourhood association were extremely disappointed by that decision but I bet it is repeated for 177 Front as I am sure they will be putting in an application for a variance very soon!

There is now a FOR LEASE sign in the window of the ex-Sobey store. I have also heard that Pontarini is out as architect and that the developer is reconsidering his (dreadful) plan. It would appear that nothing is going to happen for a while yet.

Ugh, I was looking forward to this more than almost any other development proposal. The extreme density of this is my favourite thing in the world.

really? this thing was really, really bad. The second rendition was an improvement, but the developer clearly overpaid for the land and was trying not to lose huge amounts of money from it.

Ugh, I was looking forward to this more than almost any other development proposal. The extreme density of this is my favourite thing in the world.

There are plenty of ways to achieve density that involve a better design and better overall proposal than this.

Truth be told, I‘m not even talking about the way it looks, but more the overall shape/“thickness” for lack of a better term; there are no Toronto proposals I’ve seen so far that are as thick/seem to use every centimetre as this one. I really wish Toronto had more blocks are practically overflowing with density like this, as seems to be common in Manhattan, so it’s disappointing to think it won’t happen thusly.

Back