Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

From the report.

177 Front Street.JPG

Attachments

• 177 Front Street.JPG
    177 Front Street.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 949
thats the first mildly acceptable version of this development i've seen. Its still far too tall and the architecture is still boring, but its not looking like they are actively trying to make a bad development any more.

I like how they opened up the middle courtyard. In the previous design it wouldn't have got any sunlight as the podium extended around the whole perimeter of the property iirc. Still farrrrrrrrrr from perfect, or even good, but a slight improvement.

Don't seem to see much on the 2nd iteration posted on here - but the Planning Dept website has the info:

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=9ca50621f3161410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

AoD

There is a 3rd revision underway (from their new architect Rudy Wallman); it was developed after some neighbourhood consultations and from what I have seen of it looks much better and more suitable for this site. It will apparently be officially submitted 'within days' and will then be posted on City site.

^ Thanks for the update. Even the 2nd proposal completely overwhelms the structures surrounding it. It is unfortunate that this block, in an area dominated by mid-rise towers and small properties built over different periods in Toronto's history, is being developed into 3 high-rise towers perched on top of a overwhelming podium. There are plenty of successful developments in the area, such as Market Wharf, East Lofts, King+, and those that abut King and Sherbourne, that play well with the existing character of the neighbourhood or incrementally increase its density. One would hope that they would at least scale back this proposal to a podium of no greater height than the building across from it on Sherbourne, and limit the amount of towers to Two.

Considering the size of the lot I'd prefer something like the proposed Honest Eds. Or something Yorkville like with a bunch of buildings divided by interesting walkways and courtyards.

Considering the size of the lot I'd prefer something like the proposed Honest Eds. Or something Yorkville like with a bunch of buildings divided by interesting walkways and courtyards.

Exactly - I think what we just need is some quality precedent in this city (such as what's proposed at Honest Eds). If the market gravitates towards that sort of a development (which I think it will), we will see a lot more of them pop up around the city to simply keep up.

Isn't there any way that the planning department could mandate that larger lots be divided up into smaller segments (in design if not in actual ownership)? There could then be an application process for developers who wished to build massive single developments. Large, developments that dominate a block/neighbourhood are fitting sometimes, but not often in my opinion.

Last edited:
Plans for Version 3 are now on the City development site. 4 towers:

The 2015 revisions reflect an overall reduced height and gross floor area density within a built form

of 4 towers (inclusive of 10 storey podium elements), with tower heights (including

mechanical) of 33 storeys (110 metres) for the northwest tower (tower #1), 29 storeys (98.2

metres) for the northeast tower (tower #2), 27 storeys (93.45 metres) for the southwest tower

(tower #3) and 25 storeys (87.55 metres) for the southeast tower (tower #4). The proposed 2015

revisions reflect a total of 1,679 units, with ground floor retail of 1,913 square metres, centred

along Front Street with additional elements located along the Lower Sherbourne Street frontage.

Back