Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

Ha ha ha ... you and a buddy were talking about two 90 storeys for this site, and I believe you were salivating.

How inviting is this proposal now, two 58 storey towers on a parking podium on Yonge. Pardon my sarcasm: might look nice from the air, and that is about all that would be good about it.

Some people are fantasizing how Toronto could look from the air, and they don't think much about the view for passers-by on the sidewalks. I have not any more time for this.

Get your facts straight before you open your trap...I was not talking with no buddy on no 90 storey building on any site. Yeah i like tall buildings, but my fantasizing days are over, unless your talking about drinking a cold alcoholic beverage with some hot chick on a deserted tropical island.

Some people are fantasizing how Toronto could look from the air, and they don't think much about the view for passers-by on the sidewalks. I have not any more time for this.

Actually the impact of twin 58 storey buildings will not be so overwhelming to passerby's on the sidewalk. The reason for this is the foreshortening effect. We can see this with the Four Seasons Tower. When you walk by the tower and look up it really doesn't look that tall. It is only when you get far away from the building that you appreciate its enormous height. Height should not be a concern in this area. I would be fine with twin 100 storey Towers at this location. What is key however is how the building meets the street and the crude elevation drawings revealed so far don't look that promising (although they probably don't look much different from the elevation drawings presented for Casa - a building that is universally loved on this site).

Regardless of the condo frills - this is lazy, greedy, unimaginative architecture. It's glassy brutalism, with no public delights or compensations provided.

Last edited:
Uh.....

Regardless of the condo frills - this is lazy, greedy, unimaginative architecture. With no outstanding amenities or concern for it's neighbourhood, or the citizenry around it. It's glassy brutalism.

What exactly are you talking about? We haven't seen any actual renderings yet. Just some massing pics. Unless I missed something. People seem to be freaking over something we haven't really seen.

The diagram that has gone up at the site with the notice is the essential proposal diagram, not just some far-out crude mockup.
That's what I'm basing my critique on. If the building is substantially altered, I might substantially alter my opinion. But it looks like in this case, the proposal we're seeing is meant to be close to the finished product.

^ She's (?) absolutely right. The picture the developer posted must be very close to what they want to build or they would have a lot of explaining to do if they came back for permits later for something substantially different. Rendering or no, this is the monster they want to build and which I hope our city will stop. I would rather see the site left as is than see some greedy developer squander this opportunity and dramatically alter the future direction of the area.

^^ By the way, ccongratulations on becoming "senior" CN, I guess I'm not that far off myself at this point.

Well if the Church-Wells Village Community was able to successfully block the Church/Gloucester atrocity, then I'm sure several neighbouring communities will successfully block/alter this project.

To be clear, the developer for the project between Gloucester & Dundonald Street behind Church St. went back to the drawing boards, they were given six months to come up with a revised design or the application would be closed. Time remaining is about two months now.
Re: 501 Yonge property there are no plans to block the proposal that I am aware of, I've had communications with a fellow organizing a nearby condo & neighbourhood. The fellow wants to work with the developer for something more sane that fits in with the neighbourhood, though that could change once the group comes together and is formalized. What eventually will happen here is anyone's guess, based on what they paid for the property (which was an outrageous amount) Lanterra may eventually truck off to the OMB to get what they want.

For the record I was neither promoting nor "salivating" with my buddy AG over 90-storey towers. I merely stated they would make an impact. Which they would. I also don't think it would make much difference to the pedestrians below whether the tower above the podium they are standing in front of is 25, 58 or 90 floors. Most people would barely look up. I do think something tall is appropriate considering the location.

Back