Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

Seven stories of retail display space along the Yonge facade will play out much differently in reality, and even in a full rendering, than in the minimalistic line elevations we have seen so far. I'll wait until a real rendering is presented until passing judgement. Most buildings will look dismal when shown in this kind of bare diagrammatic form. Think of a building you really admire. The TD Centre, for example. If you saw it for the first time in this kind of bare line drawing elevation, what would you think of it. I'm not making apologies for the elevation. It looks dismal to me too. I'm just hoping to remind you that it gives very little idea of what the actual proposal may really be.

it has a glazed curtain wall for the first seven floors so that should alleviate some of the concerns about a concrete bunker podium;
fritted glazed balconies that many seem to raged about;
retail along Yonge Street with 30ft frontages and more retail that wraps around the sides streets of Maitland and Alexander;
tower floorplates seem to be 90ft x 100ft,
but height between floors will be 10ft so maybe 8.5 ft ceilings once the thickness of concrete and mechanicals are taken into account;

aA's designs have consistently been getting blander over the past year, but this is a rock bottom effort. Perhaps fan-boys extraordinaire Urban Shocker and urbandreamer can enlighten us how this schlock could have come from The Great Man.

Think of a building you really admire. The TD Centre, for example. If you saw it for the first time in this kind of bare line drawing elevation, what would you think of it. I'm not making apologies for the elevation. It looks dismal to me too. I'm just hoping to remind you that it gives very little idea of what the actual proposal may really be.
You couldn't be more right. I find myself wanting to hate or love something right away, after looking at line drawings. I've learned over the years, that an ugly line drawing can be a nice building, or quite the opposite.

it has a glazed curtain wall for the first seven floors so that should alleviate some of the concerns about a concrete bunker podium;
fritted glazed balconies that many seem to raged about;
retail along Yonge Street with 30ft frontages and more retail that wraps around the sides streets of Maitland and Alexander;
tower floorplates seem to be 90ft x 100ft,
but height between floors will be 10ft so maybe 8.5 ft ceilings once the thickness of concrete and mechanicals are taken into account;

The mechanicals are also glazed windows! That's pretty sweet. No ugly mechanical box showing.

aA's designs have consistently been getting blander over the past year, but this is a rock bottom effort. Perhaps fan-boys extraordinaire Urban Shocker and urbandreamer can enlighten us how this schlock could have come from The Great Man.

You don't even know what the bloody thing looks like yet. Relax.

Relax children. It's incredible to read such passionate vitriol regarding something about which the writers know naught. TheKingEast is the only one who seems to have it right in the last twenty or so posts - the plans are private and cannot be revealed at this point, but once they are, it'll have been worth the wait.

You don't even know what the bloody thing looks like yet. Relax.

Are you suggesting the real plans are dramatically different than the line drawing we've all seen and presentedf to city council? If not then the final drawing doesn't matter. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

This thread is hilarious!

Makes me wonder if most of y'all really live in schlocky suburban mcmansions or beige'n the brick furniture clad apartments? lol!

Yes it most certainly is, thank you for your contribution.
Your undying love for all things aA and willful acceptance of mediocrity is very amusing indeed.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting the real plans are dramatically different than the line drawing we've all seen and presentedf to city council? If not then the final drawing doesn't matter. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Absolutely.

This thread is hilarious!

Makes me wonder if most of y'all really live in schlocky suburban mcmansions or beige'n the brick furniture clad apartments? lol!

Do you live in a glass cube? Cause you really seem to like bland boxes with nothing to them.

The fact that you gush over this and call 40 Scott St. an "eyesore" really shows how little credibility your opinion has.

Do you live in a glass cube? Cause you really seem to like bland boxes with nothing to them.

The fact that you gush over this and call 40 Scott St. an "eyesore" really shows how little credibility your opinion has.

are you suprised?? LOL ... I'm not ~

Back