Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Easier to just create a banner with the terminal station printed on it and cover over the display, particularly for the short turning trains.

why bother? they will soon have to change it to Vaughan anyway
I mean change the software so that the new lights, signs, announcements, etc. The TTC can't change it on their own. What I'm wondering is what the destination sign will say, "Vaughan", "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre", "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre", "Vaughan MC" or "VMC"?

I mean change the software so that the new lights, signs, announcements, etc. The TTC can't change it on their own. What I'm wondering is what the destination sign will say, "Vaughan", "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre", "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre", "Vaughan MC" or "VMC"?
It will probably scroll though Vaughan Metropolitan Centre like it does for Sheppard and Young on the Sheppard line.

The digital display is far too small, only people with 20/20 vision can read it.
I don't think they could make it any bigger however the side ones are pretty big that they are putting on.

Easier to just create a banner with the terminal station printed on it and cover over the display, particularly for the short turning trains.
Currently they can put any sation as an end point for the train which they sometime do when they short turn or if they have a section of the line closed. The digital signs are different from the role signs on the T1's where it doesn't mater where it's being turned back, as soon as the driver changes the sign on the front it updates the map inside and where the train will terminate.

Hopefully, over the years, that they change those designation signs as they evolve with more pixels (like how television resolution evolved). Maybe by the 22nd century, they will be in high definition.

1200px-Toronto_Rocket.JPG

Maybe even in colour, other than black and yellow.

Hopefully, over the years, that they change those designation signs as they evolve with more pixels (like how television resolution evolved). Maybe by the 22nd century, they will be in high definition.

1200px-Toronto_Rocket.JPG

During the 22nd Century, Faceitter would develop cerebral implants, making physical signage obsolete.

Actually, I don't mind the black and yellow since a destination sign needs to be immediately visible- the serif font they use bothers me more.

Actually, I don't mind the black and yellow since a destination sign needs to be immediately visible- the serif font they use bothers me more.

(slightly OT) that and the interior signs. I still dont get why they have use prose to display a stop; basically putting exactly what is announced on the display. it should be clear and concise

(slightly OT) that and the interior signs. I still dont get why they have use prose to display a stop; basically putting exactly what is announced on the display. it should be clear and concise

I could be misreading but it isn't this the same question as "Why do they have to announce stops when it's already written on the map?"

And isn't that the same question as, "Why do they have elevators when they already have stairs?"

When you can walk, the elevators seem unnecessary and if you can hear, the announcements may seem extraneous. But not everyone can.

The answer, is already kind of addressed, is that we have provincial legislation (AODA) that requires them to. Deaf people, blind people and everyone else has the right to know where they are, is basically the underlying principle, same way people who have trouble going up or down stairs have to be given access to elevators.

Anyway, t's always worth remembering, every time you hear "Next stop, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre," that the good ol TTC spent nearly 15 years and nearly $500,000 of tax dollars fighting against being required to undertake the very onerous task of making those announcements. A real proud moment (or 13) in their history.

Last edited:

Back