Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I have a friend who travels Barrie Allendale to Union to Eglington (Yonge-Eglington) five days a week. There is more backtracking going on than I suspect many people know. This is the first meangful connection on any GO train line that does not force a commuter to Union first. That alone should boost Barrie line traffic. As @Megaton327 says, if there were then meaningful E/W connections Sheppard West eastbound on line 4 and Finch West to Finch, either or both would be game changers for the NETWORK.

Surely the bolded part is not true? Does milton line not connect at Kipling? KW line at bloor/Dundas West? Sure the connection is smoother here (blessed with the new build and all that) but it is hardly the first connection.

Surely the bolded part is not true? Does milton line not connect at Kipling? KW line at bloor/Dundas West? Sure the connection is smoother here (blessed with the new build and all that) but it is hardly the first connection.

A bit of an exaggeration, but a LOT of these seemingly-close GO-TTC connections are in fact not very good. Oriole-Leslie requires a long walk, Kipling and Kennedy take a few minutes to connect, Bloor-Dundas West involves an outdoor walk of a few minutes and crossing an intersection.

To be more accurate, Downsview Park will be by far the closest, easiest TTC-GO train connection, being the first that I would possibly consider truly seamless, since one can just walk a few metres from the GO platform, and take an elevator or escalator straight downstairs to the TTC concourse. If one is in the accessibility coach, Google Maps puts the outdoor walk into the station at under 11 metres, which must be a first, then about 10 metres to the elevator or 35 metres to the escalator by my estimate. And let's not forget the platform is to be fully covered--out of the existing connections, only Bloor has that benefit, Kipling/Kennedy/Oriole are open-air.

A bit of an exaggeration, but a LOT of these seemingly-close GO-TTC connections are in fact not very good. Oriole-Leslie requires a long walk, Kipling and Kennedy take a few minutes to connect, Bloor-Dundas West involves an outdoor walk of a few minutes and crossing an intersection.

To be more accurate, Downsview Park will be by far the closest, easiest TTC-GO train connection, being the first that I would possibly consider truly seamless, since one can just walk a few metres from the GO platform, and take an elevator or escalator straight downstairs to the TTC concourse. If one is in the accessibility coach, Google Maps puts the outdoor walk into the station at under 11 metres, which must be a first, then about 10 metres to the elevator or 35 metres to the escalator by my estimate. And let's not forget the platform is to be fully covered--out of the existing connections, only Bloor has that benefit, Kipling/Kennedy/Oriole are open-air.

It will be the shortest GO-TTC Subway connection on the system until Caledonia opens up. Even the connection at Kipling, while miles better than some of the other connections, isn't a "one set of stairs and you're good" connection. It's still an "up, over, over again, down, then back up" connection.

You've never made the connection at either Kipling or Kennedy, have you?

At Kipling, the GO platform is accessed from the TTC Subway fare concourse. From a train you walk to and down into the tunnel, pass the fare line, and up one level to the subway. Easy as pie.

Kennedy is almost as easy. Down the stairs to the concourse, walk about 100 metres to the fare line, and then down one more level to the subway.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

At Kipling, the GO platform is accessed from the TTC Subway fare concourse. From a train you walk to and down into the tunnel, pass the fare line, and up one level to the subway. Easy as pie.

Kennedy is almost as easy. Down the stairs to the concourse, walk about 100 metres to the fare line, and then down one more level to the subway.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Kipling is a non accessibility station until 2019/20 and will even be a further distance to travel.

Its only open at peak, going one way.

Kennedy is a accessibly station with one way service at peak until more service is added.

It will be the shortest GO-TTC Subway connection on the system until Caledonia opens up. Even the connection at Kipling, while miles better than some of the other connections, isn't a "one set of stairs and you're good" connection. It's still an "up, over, over again, down, then back up" connection.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I've actually made both connections before. To clarify my earlier comments, Kipling and Kennedy are certainly not bad connections--as @gweed123 said, while they are fairly good connections compared to, say, the unfortunate lost opportunity that is Oriole, they do take a minute or two and some walking. This is the first truly seamless one.

I've actually made both connections before. To clarify my earlier comments, Kipling and Kennedy are certainly not bad connections--as @gweed123 said, while they are fairly good connections compared to, say, the unfortunate lost opportunity that is Oriole, they do take a minute or two and some walking. This is the first truly seamless one.

Ah, the Kipling connection. I remember about a year ago a had to get from Cooksville to Ossington and Queen, and I opted not to transfer onto the Bloor-Danforth at Kipling where I could have gone across to Ossington Stn and taken a bus south; and instead stayed on the GO train to Union, then subway to Osgoode, and the 501 across under the assumption that it would just be faster overall. Whether it actually was I don't know for sure, but many commuters are still just accustomed to heading to a central hub and whether satellite places like Downsview Park will be a success remain to be seen.

Why would you think that going to Union and back west along Queen would be faster? To me it would obviously be longer, not to mention more expensive.

Kipling is a non accessibility station until 2019/20 and will even be a further distance to travel.

Sure, it's non-accessible now. But how do you figure that it will be even further to travel in 2020? The tunnel isn't going anywhere.

I don't honestly see how you could make the connection at Kipling any easier. It is literally the minimum possible distance to travel.

Could Kennedy be easier? Perhaps if they put in a set of unmanned gates at the very east end of the concourse, but even then it's completely underground and protected from the elements.

As for the other existing connections - well yes. The less said about how poor they are, the better. At least for one of them there are improvements coming.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Sure, it's non-accessible now. But how do you figure that it will be even further to travel in 2020? The tunnel isn't going anywhere.

I don't honestly see how you could make the connection at Kipling any easier. It is literally the minimum possible distance to travel.

Could Kennedy be easier? Perhaps if they put in a set of unmanned gates at the very east end of the concourse, but even then it's completely underground and protected from the elements.

As for the other existing connections - well yes. The less said about how poor they are, the better. At least for one of them there are improvements coming.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Very simple, some people will use the elevators to get to the new Kipling hub and then to TTC Kipling Station. Then, the accessibly will always have the longest distance to TTC Kipling Station.

Very simple, some people will use the elevators to get to the new Kipling hub and then to TTC Kipling Station. Then, the accessibly will always have the longest distance to TTC Kipling Station.

But that's not what we were talking about, was it? For the majority of people, the tunnel will continue to be the fastest way off of and onto the GO train.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They just need a cooperation like the S-Bahn and U-Bahn in Berlin. They are separate systems by different operators but they accept the same fares. Here, we can't even get a discount. No one is willing to subsidize the free transfers.

the U-Bahn is owned by Berlin (it is classified as a province). The S-Bahn is owned by the federal government. Similar to the TTC vs GO Train bifurcation.
Each region in Germany has a cooperative who does the fares (and there are agreements on how to share the fare plus the subsidy).
This is true other than ending rail trips. Since the S-Bahn is owned by the rail company you get a free transfer to the S-Bahn. If you then go on the U-Bahn it is a new fare. The reason...the train fare would cross 2 cooperative regions and hence there is no fare sharing agreement.

The German coop is very similar to Hong Kong's Octopus card. 2 public and 3 private operators own 100% of Octopus. However, in Hong Kong since these operators do not need subsidies there is no/very few fare sharing agreements.

Using the German experience if the Province said we have $x subsidy and everyone collects $y. Now we'll throw it in a coop and all the transit companies have to collectively decide how to split it and take $z. I wonder what/if every transit authority could come to some arrangement (i'm guessing no)

Back