Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Instead of saying "Line 2 to Kipling", they should include westbound in the message. Tourists might not know Kipling is westbound. I'm disappointed that the system seem to be designed for regular riders with disability than tourists or infrequent riders.

Instead of saying "Line 2 to Kipling", they should include westbound in the message. Tourists might not know Kipling is westbound. I'm disappointed that the system seem to be designed for regular riders with disability than tourists or infrequent riders.

Where on the system do we have signs saying "Line 2 to Kipling" in lieu of "westbound"?

The only place I can recall seeing only the terminal station listed on signs is on rollsigns (understandably so).

Agreed completely. They only have the terminal destination listed around most of the Paris system and I found it really confusing.

Where on the system do we have signs saying "Line 2 to Kipling" in lieu of "westbound"?

The only place I can recall seeing only the terminal station listed on signs is on rollsigns (understandably so).
If you haven't seen them, it's the new LED destination signs and announcement.

The rollsign doesn't have space nor does most people read them. Subway shuttle buses use directions so they don't confuse people! They don't put up "Line 2 to Broadview" to mess with people.

If you haven't seen them, it's the new LED destination signs and announcement.

The rollsign doesn't have space nor does most people read them. Subway shuttle buses use directions so they don't confuse people! They don't put up "Line 2 to Broadview" to mess with people.

When TYSSE opens in 2017, only a fraction of trains will be terminating at VMC station. The trains are only at platform so for several seconds (ideally), so dedicating time to display "northbound" on the sign means they'll be less time for people to determine whether or not the train is travelling to their terminal station. I don't believe there is space for both the direction AND name of the terminal station to be displayed at once.

Perhaps something like "N to Vaughan" could work though.

The London Underground gives next (and subsequent) trains by terminal station and even I have never found it confusing.

The London Underground gives next (and subsequent) trains by terminal station and even I have never found it confusing.

This is a Yonge-University Line train terminating at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre

A bit long, but I could definitely imagine announcements like that happening.

Or they can just say Line 1 train northbound to VMC. No one will say the full pretentious name.

This is a Yonge-University Line train terminating at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre

How about:

This is a line 1, Yonge-University-Spadina Line, northbound train terminating at Vaughan Metropolitan City Centre subway station sponsored by SmartCentres SmartREIT

Or they can just say Line 1 train northbound to VMC. No one will say the full pretentious name.

I'm totally fine with the full "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre" name being used... as long as "Metropolitan" is said with a deeply taunting and sarcastic tone.

Agreed completely. They only have the terminal destination listed around most of the Paris system and I found it really confusing.

[This is a lecture I got the first time I visited Paris. It was a Grade 13 French credit course.]

1. You have to find the terminal station in the direction you intend to go. Ah. Ligne 7. Direction Louis Aragon/Villejuif. Off to Jussieu. Allons-y.

So why don't they just put east /west?

2. This works fine for Line 2 in Toronto. Fine for Line 4. Fine for Line 5. Not badly for Line 1 from Finch to Union. As things begin to head here-and-there - say northwesterly - like the newest portion of line 1, what might you put? Now try this with line 6 or 9 in Paris. have a look at the Paris Metro map of line 6. Line six traces a circle counter-clockwise from about 1030 to 3. What direction is that?

Last edited:
1. You have to find the terminal station in the direction you intend to go. Ah. Ligne 7. Direction Louis Aragon/Villejuif. Off to Jussieu. Allons-y.

I should've said I did check the map for the terminal station and went from there but it was an added step every time I boarded a train. What I should've said was it's not user friendly for tourists.

When TYSSE opens in 2017, only a fraction of trains will be terminating at VMC station.

If by "a fraction" you mean 1/2 during rush hour and 1/1 the rest of the day, this is correct. I wouldn't be surprised if the TTC runs every train to there in the PM rush too. As far as I know, their rationale for doing so right now (short turns in the AM but not in the PM) is that they don't want to inconvenience outbound commuters in the afternoon. To the TTC, less frequent service inbound in the AM isn't much of an issue, but forcing people to skip or change trains outbound in the afternoon is.

If by "a fraction" you mean 1/2 during rush hour and 1/1 the rest of the day, this is correct. I wouldn't be surprised if the TTC runs every train to there in the PM rush too. As far as I know, their rationale for doing so right now (short turns in the AM but not in the PM) is that they don't want to inconvenience outbound commuters in the afternoon. To the TTC, less frequent service inbound in the AM isn't much of an issue, but forcing people to skip or change trains outbound in the afternoon is.
They are I believe. There is no way they need a 2.5 minute service to VMC at anytime of the day. Occasional yard trips to Wilson happens. They should really use directions especially in a situation where both sides on St George have trains. Once can just heard the direction and get on instead of fighting through people to get to a map, read the terminal name and board the next train (cause that one will be gone).

Yes it's fine to just say Line 2 to Kipling but it would be better to say Line 2 Westbound to Kipling. It doesn't heard and it it would help riders out. Miway has the direction on all bus destination signs for years.

Back