Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

Reminds me a lot of Stanley Park train in Vancouver with all the rocks which is great cause that is a very successful park. Having something like that in Toronto would be very valued.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with landscaping. They can do all the landscaping they want but what I'm more interested in is the buildings, culture, restaurants, bars, museums, amusements and quality attractions. Those are the things that cost real money and that's why we have heard nothing about that. Governments like to tinker with the little things that don't cost very much. In other words, the easy stuff.

When are the year round amenities going to be built? How about a direct streetcar link? That's what I want to hear from our Premier.

I just hope this is a small part of a much larger plan and it will all make sense at the end of the day. My fear is they don't have an overall plan but felt they needed to do something - so they carved off the east end and then had to come up with something inexpensive to put there.

I doubt were going to hear too much about the main park until Ontario is in the black. It would likely be bad optics to be spending a lot of money on the park when we're still deep in deficit. I too look forward to hearing about improved year round amenities as well though. Hopefully something that includes better use of the space inside the pods.

I doubt were going to hear too much about the main park until Ontario is in the black

Well then it will never open. Other than one year (2001/2002) Ontario hasn't been in the black for many decades.

I just hope this is a small part of a much larger plan and it will all make sense at the end of the day. My fear is they don't have an overall plan but felt they needed to do something - so they carved off the east end and then had to come up with something inexpensive to put there.

Though to be honest I have no problem with them carving off the outer bits to create a continuous park space - the impact to the OP proper is minimal. The rest of the current Master Plan is uninspiring.

AoD

I take it you don't believe their promise to be deficit free before the next election then?

A pretty big promise. I'd say it won't happen.

Wait... isn't this a re-announcement? This is the parcel that was announced last year and I'm pretty sure they said they were going to get started on it right away to have it ready for the PanAm Games.

Question 2: Did anybody not ask the Premier what kind of peaceful park this is going to be with jets taking off and landing immediately in front of it? The Province has to take a position on the island airport expansion sooner or later. Being on the grounds of this park was the best opportunity to bring it up.

They did say that, but as with so many things, it didn't happen and now it's slated for 2016. And yes, the jets question was definitely raised during consultations.

I'm not impressed with this phase. It looks a lot like any other nature trail in Toronto. The landscaping looks dull as can be. Rocks, concrete and grass. No creativity whatsoever.

The other phases will make or break this thing. We need attractive, year round urban destinations.

I fear that we won't see the next phases move forward for a long time, because of the political climate.

The bar has been set high since the success of Queens Quay. I hope that Ontario Place can at least match it.

I'm not impressed with this phase. It looks a lot like any other nature trail in Toronto. The landscaping looks dull as can be. Rocks, concrete and grass. No creativity whatsoever.

I don't know. It's not flashy, but the 'ravine' with a bridge over it, and trails incorporating different terrain heights, feel pretty novel for Toronto. I think that's some solid design work and could be fun.

You're absolutely right that the other phases need to be better, though. This looks like a pleasant enough park, but it's in no way a destination. If there's not a draw down here then this first phase will be some seriously under-used infrastructure.

I continue to think the OP revitalization needed to have a residential component.

There is a lack of vision here that is incongruous with Ontario Place's original ambition. However, I'm ecstatic to see the parking lots gone, and if there are some nice places to be there, it will be a big positive for me. I love going to the Humber Bay to be on landscapes like this, or the Island, or the Spit. While there may be a lot of landscapes like this in Ontario, compared to the size of the Toronto waterfront, there aren't a lot of naturalized landscaped spaces. So I will welcome it.
I would still prefer something more lively, with more commercial spaces and inventive uses, though, as this is our urban park and has great bones to work it into something unique. Nature, while nice, won't do that.

For me it all depends on the next phase. But where is the 2nd phase to take place? Does Ontario Place have any land on Lakeshore, or is that all Exhibition? If this phase takes up all the developable land, I would lament it a bit more. But I'm stoked to see the horrible, incomprehensible lakefront parking lots go!

I continue to think the OP revitalization needed to have a residential component.

I do as well. I fear that this place will be dead in the winter, especially because it's relatively distant from the city,

I know a residential component was proposed years ago. Is that still on the table?

They'll need to be sufficient restrictions on residential development to prevent OP from becoming "condo island". It could be a good thing if done right.

I know a residential component was proposed years ago. Is that still on the table?
They'll need to be sufficient restrictions on residential development to prevent OP from becoming "condo island". It could be a good thing if done right.

Please no residential:(, when built it was zoned for entertainment, lets keep it that way

Back