Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

Yes, they're rebuilding one of the bridges into a much wider landscaped link over Lakeshore. It'll connect to the also planned redevelopment of the Exhibition Place parking lot into something more pedestrian friendly.

urbantoronto-10349-37079.jpg

urbantoronto-10349-37082.png

Seeing as OP is somewhat of a southerly extension of the Exhibition, has there been any talk of integrating the two in anyway?...or would that just lead to the usual Canadian jurisdictional selfishness? That whole precinct should be integrated and built into something grand ("grand" as in beautiful/interesting/attractive). Don't look to me for ideas though, I'm too busy trying to make rent.
The City (who own The Ex) and the Province (who own OP) have had various discussions on, at least, better coordination for the past few years (I seem to remember David Crombie being involved about 5 years ago). Though everyone seems to agree that there should be coordination, predictably nothing definitive was ever decided and one major problem is that access to OP from the current Exhibition streetcar means going through the Ex site and during 'events" this is not possible. (This is also why extending the Exhibition streetcar line to OP is virtually impossible, or so they say!)

So, basically, mostly lip service paid to the idea of some sort of "coordination"? No actual plan to work together to get rid of what is right now a blight upon the landscape? The usual. Thanks for answering my question. :)

As an aside: I don't see how the streetcar couldn't run along to the western gates (as it were) of Exhibition and then run along Lakeshore back towards OP.

this area might be good for a year round glass domed beach? what do you guys say?
I love beaches.....so, yes. I already consider Humber Bay to be Toronto's answer (for sunset watching purposes) to Van City's English Bay. A domed year-round beach would mean we could have the palm trees to match English Bay. Nice one.

Could you provide a real-world example of how this would work/look like?

They have them in a number of places around the world (including 2 in Niagara Falls) and it would be great to have a large one at Ontario Place. That would also be a big step to turning it into a year round destination, which I think it should be. It would be nice if we could get rid of the parking lots at the same time. (kill 2 birds with one stone)

Last edited:
Why does a domed beach have to be anywhere near the waterfront? Much cheaper places to build it elsewhere in the city. Can't imagine the cost per space for building underground parking first, below lake level and then, beneath a domed artificial beachfront . Let's be a little realistic.

Why not, were talking here about a venue that would also attract tourists, no?

Rather see a top tier aquatics centre than a domed beachfront that I don't see that attracting that many tourists to Toronto and locals will get bored of quickly. Land of a thousand lakes afterall. Extends the sports theme of the CNE to Ontario Place. Maybe an attached hotel that can feed off the convention space and growing innovation centre. Oh course, I'm always open to beach volleyball courts. Others should enjoy what I have down the street.

Premier Kathleen Wynne announced today that Ontario is recognizing the vision and leadership of former Premier Bill Davis with a dedicated waterfront trail along the East Island of Ontario Place.

Davis was Premier in 1971 when Ontario Place first opened. The William G. Davis Trail will connect a new urban park with Ontario Place's history as a public space for all Ontarians. Under the final design for the park and trail unveiled today, the builders will turn a parking lot on the East Island into a 7.5-acre naturalized green space celebrating Ontario landscapes. The park, slated to open in the fall of 2016, will provide access to this section of the Toronto waterfront for the first time in more than 40 years.

The park and trail will be the first phase in a long-term project to transform Ontario Place into a vibrant year-round waterfront destination that engages residents and visitors of all ages. Last July, the government released its vision for a revitalized Ontario Place that builds on its legacy of entertainment and innovation. This vision proposes a mix of outdoor and indoor features, including more green space, a blue park for water-based recreation and a waterfront trail around the perimeter of the entire site.

Back