Toronto Market Street Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Woodcliffe | Taylor Smyth

I was thinking the same thing. Do we really blame all of that on construction?

As for the building the puney height kind of ruins it for me, and I just don't love the bland, polite boxiness for this location. It's perfectly 'nice' but some taller funky in-fill would have been better.

The height of this building is wrong. Why would they not match it with the 6 story building right beside it? It just looks awkward and makes no sense at all. Why not just add a few condos or rental apartments on top?

Because there are south-facing windows on the adjacent building, presumably.
And there is no way to remedy that? (with a little creativity) Doesn't the company who built this building, also own the one north of it? (with the windows) Why not put a great outdoor patio on the roof? I just think so much more could have been done to get better massing, value and density for this site. It's not terrible but it easily could have been a lot better.

August 16th:

pfRjs.jpg

I think there is going to be something on the roof. I recall seeing roof access as it was abuilding. That big window will look great from the new park, if and when it ever gets built.

The height of this building is wrong. Why would they not match it with the 6 story building right beside it? It just looks awkward and makes no sense at all. Why not just add a few condos or rental apartments on top?

Wasn't there a taller proposal for this site a few years ago? I seem to remember something proposed, but denied due to the impact it would have on the sunlight entering the internal courtyard. Seniors residences with balconies facing the courtyard would have seen a reduction in sunlight, breeze, etc.

Hmm, once again a disappointment. Here's what I would've done (not to scale, just a mass'n study)

nimbytect18082012market.png

Patio at ground level between condo/loft building and historic building next door, green roof/patio up top, all hidden behind a continuous red brick streetwall featuring ModVichitecture.

nimbytect18082012market.png

Last edited:
I really like this red stone finish. But if I had a shrink-ray gun, I would be compelled to turn the building into a concierge desk for Scotia Plaza. Today:

2p2xo.jpg

^^^

I just noticed that the horizontal bands in the cladding align perfectly with the dark brick bands on the adjacent building. Nice touch.

Back