Toronto Market Street Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Woodcliffe | Taylor Smyth

March 20, 2012

March202012439.jpg

March202012440.jpg

March202012441.jpg

March202012452.jpg

March202012453.jpg

March202012455.jpg

The architecture on that building looks underwhelming. There's one big wrap-around window on the second floor and a generic storefront. The unusual cladding improves things, but it doesn't seem to be a strong design effort.

I agree that the renderings are a bit blah although I passed by the site today and I will say that the quality of materials/details they are using just might make this all work. Little things like they installed gas lines (hidden behind the stone) in each of the columns so outdoor heaters could be run on the patio (Market St Side).

I guess there will be a lot of new restaurants coming to the Esplanade. I also read that a new pub is moving in beside the Spaghetti Factory, (in London On The Esplanade) with a big outdoor patio. I'm sure more restaurants will move onto Church Street, after The Berczy is finished.

I guess there will be a lot of new restaurants coming to the Esplanade. I also read that a new pub is moving in beside the Spaghetti Factory, (in London On The Esplanade) with a big outdoor patio. I'm sure more restaurants will move onto Church Street, after The Berczy is finished.

Yes, the Twisted Kilt is moving into the space between the Keg and The Old Spaghetti Factory. No doubt they will apply for a patio.

It's definitely attractive, and the materials look good, I just wish they'd matched the scale of the building directly to the north at the very least.

It does look great, and yup, it begs the questions as to why it's not taller. A few more floors and it would look like it actually fits where it is. Maybe someday someone will be talking about some facadism here while they raise a taller tower behind it?!

Back