Toronto Market Street Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Woodcliffe | Taylor Smyth

That Dutch hotel is pretty outlandish. Crazy colour scheme. I kind of like it, in a Disneyesque way. At least they aren't afraid to inject a riot of colour into the urban landscape - unlike here, where we seem to prefer the staid tyranny of greys and frigid hues.

I too like the red stone finish of that new building by the market, particularly its sense of scale and the alternating textures.

^^^

I just noticed that the horizontal bands in the cladding align perfectly with the dark brick bands on the adjacent building. Nice touch.

I noticed that also on thedeepend's August 14 pics. The horizontal bands on the east facade also line up with brick bands on the building to the north, though not as obvious.

I was at Buskerfest last night and dropped in to see the building. Those windows on Market at Grade fully open. I think once you add the people, patio, signage etc. It is going to be a great spot. Alot of money is going into this establishment.

Anyone have an idea of what this will be yet?

^I didn't know that! I was concerned that the LCBO would be blanding up some of the ground floor units of that building.

No, the LCBO was always going to return upstairs to both their old site and the top floor of the "Fish Market Building" with a new loading dock accessed from The Esplanade. The ground-floor Units on Market Street are intended to be restaurants/cafes and in spring 2013 the street will be re-made so that the road and sidewalk are not totally segragated (sort of woonerf) and cars will be able to be kept out of the street (at least sometimes). The City has plans and has set aside $$ to fix up the open area on ground level of the Market on the east side of the street and I assume this will happen next spring too. I do not know what is going into the new building at corner of The Esplanade and Market but as it has openable windows I am assuming they have signed up, or hope to sign up, a restaurant for it too.

More info higher up in this thread.

Received a notice in the mail today that the grand re-opening of the LCBO will be Tuesday, November 13th.

I've noticed over the last few days that the shelves are getting stocked up.

I also noticed this morning that a window was smashed in at the temp LCBO on Market St. This was around 7am - a guard was already posted to watch the site. I'm curious if this was malicious or an accident.

Any idea who will occupy it ?

In today's Star there is an announcement for an alcohol permit application to AGCO from Pastizza at 118 The Esplanade / 8 Market Street. I assumed it will be an Italian restaurant with pasta and pizza and in fact FoodServiceWorld Canada tells us "...the highly anticipated opening of Pastizza in 2013, from veteran restaurateur Paolo Paolini, co-owner of Toronto’s beloved high-end Mistura, promises simple, satisfying authentic dishes, starting with his mother’s lasagna recipe, all for under $23."

from today... Market Street is getting its makeover

8558437594_0bfe5d2bc7.jpg

8557327239_f339ca2ebe.jpg

from today... Market Street is getting its makeover

Good news but the 2013 plan is ONLY the west side - paid for by Woodcliffe). The City hopes to redo the east side and fix up the open If the City can sort out some funding issues they MAY be able to do the east sidewalk this year too. (In fact, Council is considering a motion to reallocate Section 37 funding to pay for the east-side street changes next week - See http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.TE21.13 )

Last edited:
Disappointing that the west side will be completed while the east side won't. Hopefully the City will find the funds to complete the rest. However, poor Front St E has been needing rebuilding for years now and it keeps being deferred.

On another note, I noticed a liquor license application in the doorway of the temporary LCBO. It was too far away for a decent photo with my phone. I'll see if I can take my zoom lens out today if someone doesn't have the info already.

However, poor Front St E has been needing rebuilding for years now and it keeps being deferred.

This Year! Well, hopefully lol. The last I read back in Feb, Council is trying to release section 37 $, coordinate with watermain/infrastructure plans already set for this year, and to get a tender out for re-construction of the road, street lamps, sidewalks, planters, etc...for Front between Jarvis and Parliament ahead of Pan Am. Shouldn't be too difficult. I guess the drop deadline that they can defer this to is early 2015 haha.

Back