Toronto Market Street Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Woodcliffe | Taylor Smyth

Great products, but they were simply too niche. With a wider range of gourmet food products, they might have been able to make a go of it.

You can be niche if you pick the right location. Being the lone shop among restaurants would be a challenge, and so close to SL Market yet so far.

They've moved the bollards and installed the patios, and there's a pretty gross amount of oil on the bricks from the cars that have been parked there all winter. Do they normally clean it? I haven't noticed in years past.

November 18, 2020

Guess it was good for a couple of years. I could’ve taken a lot more pix of the street’s abuse but I was too upset. This is why we can't have nice things. I present to you...

Toronto’s Shabby Public Realm

D2CFA526-D7A9-4F6C-AC18-BF07232BC887.jpeg

Last edited:
November 18, 2020

Guess it was good for a couple of years. I could’ve taken a lot more pix of the street’s abuse but I was too upset. This is why we can't have nice things. I present to you...

Toronto’s Shabby Public Realm

View attachment 283585
Though I am all about getting rid of asphalt patches, they are often a necessary short-term thing as relaying a bricked area is not something most (or any?) utility companies can deal with properly. It needs to await the 'experts' so will probably not happen until 2021. Further south, the City has a contractor currently working at the south end of Market to repair a sewer and THERE they seem to be relaying the 'tiles' with a proper foundation. We will soon see if they have enough bricks and how they deal with any shortfall! The patch @ Front seems to be from a gas repair which happened a month or so ago. It is probably on the City's 'fix me' list for 2021.

Though I am all about getting rid of asphalt patches, they are often a necessary short-term thing as relaying a bricked area is not something most (or any?) utility companies can deal with properly. It needs to await the 'experts' so will probably not happen until 2021. Further south, the City has a contractor currently working at the south end of Market to repair a sewer and THERE they seem to be relaying the 'tiles' with a proper foundation. We will soon see if they have enough bricks and how they deal with any shortfall! The patch @ Front seems to be from a gas repair which happened a month or so ago. It is probably on the City's 'fix me' list for 2021.

Caveat here; the City doesn't let contractors do permanent repairs, irrespective of the difficulty.

The policy is that they do temporary repairs, and the City will fix it later; for which the contractor is charged $$

There are lots of private contractors in this City who have expertise in laying interlocking brick (think of all the driveways!), never mind several roads/sidewalks as well.

There is absolutely no reason that a contractor could not be required to permanently fix, as like, any area on which they work.

The City has no monopoly on the skill set.

But I expect the City would fight giving up the $$ that come with the current system.

Last edited:
Caveat here; the City doesn't let contractors do permanent repairs, irrespective of the difficulty.

The policy is that they do temporary repairs, and the City will fix it later; for which the contractor is charged $$

There are lots of private contractors in this City who have expertise in laying interlocking brick (think of all the driveways!), never mind several roads/sidewalks as well.

There is absolutely no reason that a contractor could not be required to permanently fix, as like, any area on which they work.

The City has no monopoly on the skill set.

But I expect the City would fight giving up the $$ that come with the current system.
The City has been looking at how best to deal with 'utility cuts' and seems to be trying the experiment of allowing some 'utility cut makers' to do the final repairs. I think Toronto Water has been approved to do this for 'their' utility cuts and the Toronto Water work at the Market & Esplanade junction is certainly the FINAL repair (base concrete laid and joined to old with rebar etc). The test will be if they manage to replace all the 'bricks' they removed and if they have extras to deal with those that were damaged. We shall see!

Some umbrellas/shading would've been nice the past two weekends for those sitting and having a meal. But otherwise, it was great being able to walk through the street with no cars around.

Back