Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I want to say something lame like COOL! Those are neat pictures. The white stripes really stand out in your night photos sMT. Nice Job (again)

Udo, I've said this before, but I feel that I must thank you and SkyJacked again for those wonderful and informative write ups that you have added to this thread. This one was as interesting as the one SkyJacked wrote about the water tank a few pages back. Thanks

Thank you DtTO. There isn’t much I could add to Udo’s excellent description of the procedure except a few pictures.

This is a close-up of the A-frame sheave block before the rope was replaced.

2183.jpg

Preparing to install the assembly tie-ropes.

2679.jpg

Pinning the second assembly tie-rope to the A-frame.

2712.jpg

Zoom, zoom, zoom

Going on a BIXI bike tour to try out a new telephoto lens ...

... from bottom of Yonge Street

... from Lower Jarvis

... from Queens Quay East

... from Distillery District

... from Adelaide and Jarvis

... from Metro Convention Centre

Click on images to zoom in a bit more.

Last edited:
The arrows point to the new luffing rope that was installed yesterday on top of the L Tower crane.

Absolutely fascinating udo & skyjacked, thank you! Yet another example of what makes UT so great is folks like you taking the time to photograph and describe something like this.

Going on a BIXI bike tour to try out a new telephoto lens ...

Udo, you rock. What camera and telephoto lens are you using? I'm picking up a lens to take shots like that tomorrow! I have a Canon Rebel XSi & I bought an additional 55-250mm lens but I sure don't get shots like that.

Awesome shots SkyJacked!! Do you have any pictures from this week of ongoing work on the uppermost floor?

Thanks someMidTowner, here comes another long post. All of the recent activity around the crane and windy weather has given me time to take a few pictures.

I won’t even try to cover the complicated carpentry that took place for the 61st floor. All of the reinforcing steel pictures I will post will probably mess up the thread admin. I am told there is just over 60 tons of rebar installed at this point and the concrete required is estimated to be 250 cubic metres. Due to the live load of concrete in a plastic state (soft) and irregular loads applied during concrete placement, the building itself has been reinforced.

DSCN21002.jpg

Those yellow things are called Multiprops (jacks, props, shore posts) and they are horizontally connected into towers with MRK braces. This picture from 57 to 59 shows a shoring pattern that is maintained for 17 floors below level 61. Most of this shoring will remain in place until the top of the building has been completely loaded and the concrete has sufficiently cured.
When we talked about the water tank I didn’t talk much about the rebar that was used in the tank. Plenty best describes it, I’ve seen less steel in a bank vault.

Watertanktop.jpg

That is the top of the tank and all of the long bars you see are 35 mm in diameter or 35M if you are packing it around and tying it together. There was a lot of packing and tying going on.

1653.jpg

The 3 guys inside the beam are basically weaving 6 metre and 8 metre by 35 mm steel bars securing them with stirrups and U bars. It takes 6 steel men on 1 bar at times to properly assemble the reinforcing steel. We call them all steel men; male or female so don’t let that rile you up.

The Building Maintenance Unit also attaches to the 61 floor and now you will begin to see where all of that concrete is going in such a small floor area.

1648.jpg

That is one corner of the BMU base bolt assembly being welded in place.

1780.jpg

The BMU base bolts are seen intersecting the lower left corner (SE) of the tank top.

1902.jpg

2241.jpg

2514.jpg

2588.jpg

You can see how busy the Plumbers and Electricians have been too. Everything the trades have put into this has to be exact. There is no room to make a mistake as was evident by the parade of inspectors in recent days.

There are more pictures but 9 is all I dare try in 1 post.

Last edited:
Someone is going to have a nice living room. Also, way to zoom Udo. Very cool pictures!

Udo did some awesome stitch work from the pictures I took on the 57th floor. It's more likely the better photo is with those panos.

Last edited:
Udo, you rock. What camera and telephoto lens are you using? I'm picking up a lens to take shots like that tomorrow! I have a Canon Rebel XSi & I bought an additional 55-250mm lens but I sure don't get shots like that.

Thank you everyone. The pictures were taken with a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 camera that has a Leica 24x 25-600mm (equivalent to full frame SLR) lens with constant F2.8 across the zoom range. There are other "super zoom" cameras with much more impressive zoom capabilities. Nikon's Coolpix P510 has a 24-1000mm (equivalent) lens and Canon's Powershot SX50 HS tops even that with a 24-1200mm (equivalent) lens. The reason I chose the Lumix was the constant F2.8 maximum aperture. This extra brightness allows me to use faster shutter speeds and/or less ISO when taking telephotos. The disadvantage of all these "super zoom" cameras is of course the much smaller sensor compared to your DSLR.

Last edited:
We've never had such a well-documented construction project as this one. Skyjacked, your contributions are quite extraordinary. The shots that so many getting from the ground and nearby heights too, day and night, are fantastic. It's all appreciated. Thank you everyone!

Interchange, like everybody else, I enthusiastically agree with you about the value and interest of this excellent thread. In fact, I wonder if some of the key explanatory sections, plus photos, of course, could be extracted and combined into a separate thread on the growth of a building. I am sure I am not the only person who has learned a great deal about the craft and science of construction from Skyjacked and Udo. It would be a pity to have this material forgotten once the specific project was complete.

The new thread could be pinned for easy reference and newbies, or veterans who want to learn more, could be pointed in its direction.

Thanks in advance for considering this suggestion.

Agreed as well Skyjacked, these shots truly are "epic" and the term would not be misused I don't believe. I have borrowed one of your pics to post on facebook under your name if its ok (?)...I know my friends won't appreciate it as much as we all do, but it has to be shown regardless.

Back