Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I found another recent picture of Niagara Falls, a very different look.

DSCN1586crop.jpg

It's very visible under the right conditions. dt_toronto_geek can tell you it's not a speck. L Iower residents will have to look for it. (OT)

I just realized this weekend why I like this building so much. No balconies on the north side sticking out. Looks much nicer this way!

Help me out here people. This thread is about the building, not the view. A lot of you guys have game so bring it.

This morning.

03_12_12.jpg

Help me out here people. This thread is about the building, not the view. A lot of you guys have game so bring it.

If you insist :)
Here are a few shots I snapped tonight on my way to the UrbanToronto pub meet

bcqZp.jpg

46Hxh.jpg

HVF1I.jpg

Great shots someMidTowner. I don't recall seeing a shot from that angle which includes the front of the Sony Centre, very nice! It's interesting, from my POV the north curtainwall looks like it's about at the 1/4 mark, from these shots above it looks over half up. It's got to be an illusion with the curve on the top third of the building and that it sits much lower than where I am.

That's what I'm talking about sMT, pure art. Thank you. You even caught a little red ufo in that first picture.

That's what I'm talking about sMT, pure art. Thank you. You even caught a little red ufo in that first picture.

Thanks :) The curtain wall glass on the north side is very reflective at night. So much so that Scotia Plaza and Brookfield Place made guest appearances in that photo

It's interesting, from my POV the north curtainwall looks like it's about at the 1/4 mark, from these shots above it looks over half up. It's got to be an illusion with the curve on the top third of the building and that it sits much lower than where I am.

Today

Traverse

First Quarter Moon on its way down and L Tower man hoist on its way up crossing paths this morning:

Click on image if you want to zoom in.

Last edited:
Luffing Rope Replacement

The arrows point to the new luffing rope that was installed yesterday on top of the L Tower crane.

8252729268_0f573e4de7_b.jpg

8251659385_7a0365f370_b.jpg

This rope replacement apparently is a regular maintenance activity necessary as the wire rope is wearing out over time. Crane engineers have designed a safe procedure for this, but I still admire the people who had to do this tough job yesterday at a dizzying height on top of the tallest free standing crane in Canada and in cold and windy weather conditions.

The luffing rope replacement process was quite mind-boggling. First they lifted a reel of new rope on top of the L Tower and placed it as close as possible to the crane. Then they secured the boom with two assembly tie-ropes (already in place for this procedure) to the A-frame on the counterjib. This allowed them to take the weight off the luffing rope to detach its one end from the A-frame, attach the new rope (pulled up using synthetic rope) to the old one using a so-called Chinese finger trap and use the winch and the old rope to pull the new rope through the two sheave blocks (one on top of the A-frame, the other one at the end of the long luffing tie-ropes that are attached to the tip of the boom). Once through completely, they attached the one end of the new rope to the A-frame, disconnected the two ropes on the other end, uncoiled the old rope from the luffing winch and finally attached the new rope to the luffing winch. Once everything was in place again, the assembly tie-ropes were taken down and the luffing was tested a few times. I had no idea how this would work, but Skyjacked helped me understand this complex process beforehand. Watching it I must say it worked like a charm, done by true professionals. They did the job in less than half a day.

Below are two pictures SkyJacked provided to help me understand the Chinese Finger connection between old and new rope. In the first picture the hand signal is given for the winch to "boom up" and pull the new rope (which is connected to the old rope using the Chinese Finger trap) through the sheave blocks. In the second picture the new rope has been successfully pulled through all the way to the luffing winch.

8252279923_5af46a564a_c.jpg

8253322242_e5b118e505_c.jpg

Last edited:
dt_toronto_geek your vantage point is jaw dropping

Udo, I've said this before, but I feel that I must thank you and SkyJacked again for those wonderful and informative write ups that you have added to this thread. This one was as interesting as the one SkyJacked wrote about the water tank a few pages back. Thanks

Caltrane, I'm an avid follower of your blog. Your relentless photo updates are much appreciated.

In my opinion, these are the most well executed balconies in this building boom, and possible in the history of Toronto.

Last edited:
Some more shots from tonight: (I was testing high ISO on my new 5D with no tripod and am really impressed with the low light capabilities)

Zb3Cx.jpg

OaBex.jpg

ddIm3.jpg

T7zuT.jpg

Back