Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Beautiful. I wish EDS could get replaced by a suitably starchitect-worthy office building eventually.
AoD

I do and I don't. Although that spot is prime for a huge office building, I can't help but wanting to keep the classic flatiron shot in front of Brookfield Place..

img_47951.jpg

Properly designed there is no reason why a huge office building can't relate it. As it stands now, EDS rather uninspiring along Front.

AoD

Last edited:
If by properly designed you mean with more detail but same height and not 12 million storeys I agree. For now I can't really complain about EDS.

000:

EDS is a pretty long site - you can easily put a tower at eastern end while keeping a podium of a similar scale. Articulating the details of the tower properly will be important of course. In fact, it think it would look stunning with say, a 40s, which as a tower still allows for transition from Brookfield/BCE.

And let's not forget, there is still space at Brookfield/BCE for one significant office tower - so regardless of what one does with the EDS site, the existing vista won't be remotely final.

AoD

Last edited:
At least EDS has several restaurant patios along Front. Best to pass by that building right beside it, where the patios take up the best portion of your view of it.

I really was not sure what the references to EDS were, until the last post - so many shorthand abbreviations used on this site. 33 Yonge was never to my knowledge generally referred to as the 'EDS Building'. EDS did for some years have its corporate identity logo on the building, however EDS was purchased by HP several years ago, and the EDS signs disappeared completely from the building, to be replaced by the Altus logo.

The symmetry of 33 Yonge, and how it was designed as a background building to align with the flatiron - and thus extend the energy of the flatiron backwards across the vacant space of the park to vanishing points along Wellington and Front - is what makes it such a treasured building, surely? It is supremely selfless in how it defers to and enhances the flatiron. If the colour grey is the much-maligned workhorse that allows visually louder colour statements to take centre stage, then 33 Yonge is the "background building" equivalent. Bravo for 33 Yonge, say I!

Properly designed there is no reason why a huge office building can't relate it. As it stands now, EDS rather uninspiring along Front.

Whatever its merits above the first floor, at street level 33 Yonge is one of the best office buildings in the city. 5 excellent restaurant patios on Front and Yonge(though the restaurants themselves are a mixed bag, not the building's fault) and reasonably good retail spaces on Wellington and across from Berczy.

See the report I've posted one page back - there is a lighting plan in the works - you might want to ask Pam McConnell's office or SLNA for more info re: implementation

AoD

The symmetry of 33 Yonge, and how it was designed as a background building to align with the flatiron - and thus extend the energy of the flatiron backwards across the vacant space of the park to vanishing points along Wellington and Front - is what makes it such a treasured building, surely? It is supremely selfless in how it defers to and enhances the flatiron. If the colour grey is the much-maligned workhorse that allows visually louder colour statements to take centre stage, then 33 Yonge is the "background building" equivalent. Bravo for 33 Yonge, say I!

Surely you're being facetious, right? I think that's giving 33 Yonge too much credit; to be honest, it looks like it wasn't designed with anything in mind.

Back