Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

I'm a little confused.

http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Financial-Close-RER-Kipling-Bus-Terminal/

The RFP was just awarded, but construction is starting so soon? Major construction and road closures next week. WSP Canada is likely the civil designer. Is there a preliminary design?

https://beta.gotransit.com/en/the-future-go/improvements/kipling
If you look at the plan for the whole area, Subway Cr has to be close for the west side and the removal of the parking lot north of the new terminal. Then a new entrance has to be built off Dundas at Accorn Ave, along with a rebuilt the current parking lot that is to be extended north to Dundas. The current driveway to the TTC kiss and ride will be close along with the current parking for it.

A new tunnel has to be built from the new hub to TTC Kiss & Ride first. No idea if any plans are in place to allow TTC to go underground to take the line west at a future date either to Cloverdale or the new yard that will have to go under the hub

TTC is planing on adding a 3rd trail track north of the current 2.

No idea if any plans are in place to allow TTC to go underground to take the line west at a future date either to Cloverdale or the new yard that will have to go under the hub

TTC is planing on adding a 3rd trail track north of the current 2.
If the line can't go west underground it can't go to Obico, surely?? So... they better have a plan?

A third track for train storage seems nominally possible - just push the terminus of the existing track on the Subway Crescent side 150ft+ south cutting into what is now the car park, put a switch in and put a new 500ft track beside it - but if that main track has to be on a downgrade to ultimately get down far enough to curve under the GO tracks to Obico before the structures further southwest, does that even work? I would have thought terminal tracks on a downgrade would be a bad plan?

If the line can't go west underground it can't go to Obico, surely?? So... they better have a plan?

A third track for train storage seems nominally possible - just push the terminus of the existing track on the Subway Crescent side 150ft+ south cutting into what is now the car park, put a switch in and put a new 500ft track beside it - but if that main track has to be on a downgrade to ultimately get down far enough to curve under the GO tracks to Obico before the structures further southwest, does that even work? I would have thought terminal tracks on a downgrade would be a bad plan?
There is enough room in the current ROW for the trail track to add a 3rd track without any impact of the current driveway for the Kiss & Ride.

One hope there is a plan to allow a tunnel under the hub to allow TTC line to go west and to Obico. Then, there maybe a plan in place that will see the hub relocated to Cloverdale Gateway Hub under the Big Move Plan down the road that will allow TTC to go west after the line is built to Obico.

The new 3rd trail track would have a better radius to Obico than the current 2.

Can't go north like you want without moving a hydro tower, TTC sub station and the new tunnel from the hub to the Kiss & Ride to allow riders to get to TTC station.

News Release

Ontario Begins Construction on Major New Transit Hub in Toronto
April 13, 2018

Improved Kipling Station Will Make Taking Transit Easier for Commuters and Families
Ontario is making it easier for commuters and families to get around the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) by building a new bus terminal and renovating Kipling GO Station to connect subway, regional rail and inter-regional bus services in a major new transit hub.

Peter Milczyn, MPP for Etobicoke-Lakeshore, Yvan Baker, MPP for Etobicoke Centre, Bonnie Crombie, Mayor of Mississauga, Josh Colle, Chair of the TTC, and Greg Percy, Chief Operating Officer, Metrolinx, were at the site of the new bus terminal at Kipling GO Station today to break ground on the new transit hub.

The hub will include new and improved pedestrian, bicycle and vehicle connections, and integrate subway, GO train, and local and regional bus services, including GO, TTC, and MiWay services, into a single mobility hub in Toronto's west end.

Ontario is also making transit more affordable for commuters and families by introducing more integration between transit fares. The province has already cut the cost of commuting by $1.50 for PRESTO users transferring between TTC and GO Transit or the UP Express. Beginning in early 2019, Ontario will reduce the cost of GO Transit trips to just $3 for trips under 10 kilometres anywhere on the GO network, as well as all GO and UP Express trips within the City of Toronto. Proceeds from Ontario's carbon market will also provide fare integration discounts of up to $1.50 per ride for anyone who travels between the York, Durham, Brampton and Mississauga transit networks and the TTC, saving regular commuters up to $720 every year.

Ontario's plan to support care, create opportunity and make life more affordable during this period of rapid economic change plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and 65 or over, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.

Let me summarize...

Improved Kipling Station Will Make Taking Transit Easier for Commuters and Families

Ontario is making it easier for commuters and families to get around the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) by building a new bus terminal and renovating Kipling GO Station to connect subway, regional rail and inter-regional bus services in a major new transit hub.

Liberal, Liberal, ex-Liberal, son of a Liberal, and Liberal appointee were at the site of the new bus terminal at Kipling GO Station today to break ground on the new transit hub.

The hub will include new and improved pedestrian, bicycle and vehicle connections, and integrate subway, GO train, and local and regional bus services, including GO, TTC, and MiWay services, into a single mobility hub in Toronto's west end.

Blatant electioneering budget giveaways. Attempt at a Carbon Tax rationale.

Other spending promises that will never happen.

Let me summarize...

Let me summarize. Work begins on new transit hub. They are spending to improve transit! What's to hate (blatant electioneering budget give-aways aside)?

I love how for every press release, I know the impact that the RFQ/preferred bidder selection/RFP/etc for some infrastructure project will have on families without having to read beyond the title.

Is it a pro-family GO station parking lot or an anti-family GO station parking lot? I can sleep easy knowing that it's not the second kind, thanks to the tireless efforts of the Metrolinx communication team.

I love how for every press release, I know the impact that the RFQ/preferred bidder selection/RFP/etc for some infrastructure project will have on families without having to read beyond the title.

Is it a pro-family GO station parking lot or an anti-family GO station parking lot? I can sleep easy knowing that it's not the second kind, thanks to the tireless efforts of the Metrolinx communication team.

Hey, the focus groups say it works wonders. And I'm sure this parking lot will strengthen the middle class too.

They could've built this a bit closer to the 427. Obviously that would have cost more, but still. On the other hand, building it at Kipling means that it serves as a nice anchor for Etobicoke City Centre.
Long-term it makes far more sense to extend the subway to Cloverdale rather than build out this bus terminal, but in reality this terminal is needed as soon as possible since the Islington bus bays are literally crumbling apart. Now let's note that the day Dundas gets built out with condos lining that street all over the place, Kipling Station and Dundas St will both be a chaos filled area lined up with buses all the way to the 427. The best part about the whole situation is that a B-D extension isn't even being considered from now all the way through to 2040.

On a side note, i'm curious how devastated Del Duca was that he wasn't allowed to attend this photo-op.

A few more pictures of the transit hub on its architect Strasman's website. Sorry, it wouldn't let me download the pictures to post here.
I got you covered:
Dimensioned_Aerial-CAM01-ENT-B-FINAL.jpg
Dimensioned_-Aerial-MAIN-CAM01-FINAL.jpg
Dimensioned_Aerial-MAIN-CAM02-FINAL.jpg
Dimensioned_Bus-Terminal-EXT-CAM04-FINAL.jpg
Dimensioned_-Bus-Terminal-EXT-CAM-SND-WALL-N-FINAL.jpg
Dimensioned_PPUDO-INT-CAM02-FINAL.jpg
DimensionedBus-Terminal-INT-CAM03-FINAL.jpg
imensioned_Bus-Terminal-EXT-CAM02-FINAL.jpg

Attachments

• Dimensioned_Aerial-CAM01-ENT-B-FINAL.jpg
    Dimensioned_Aerial-CAM01-ENT-B-FINAL.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 580
  • Dimensioned_-Aerial-MAIN-CAM01-FINAL.jpg
    Dimensioned_-Aerial-MAIN-CAM01-FINAL.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 594
  • Dimensioned_Aerial-MAIN-CAM02-FINAL.jpg
    Dimensioned_Aerial-MAIN-CAM02-FINAL.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 540
  • Dimensioned_Bus-Terminal-EXT-CAM04-FINAL.jpg
    Dimensioned_Bus-Terminal-EXT-CAM04-FINAL.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 543
  • Dimensioned_-Bus-Terminal-EXT-CAM-SND-WALL-N-FINAL.jpg
    Dimensioned_-Bus-Terminal-EXT-CAM-SND-WALL-N-FINAL.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 467
  • Dimensioned_PPUDO-INT-CAM02-FINAL.jpg
    Dimensioned_PPUDO-INT-CAM02-FINAL.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 574
  • DimensionedBus-Terminal-INT-CAM03-FINAL.jpg
    DimensionedBus-Terminal-INT-CAM03-FINAL.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 627
  • imensioned_Bus-Terminal-EXT-CAM02-FINAL.jpg
    imensioned_Bus-Terminal-EXT-CAM02-FINAL.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
^ You beat me to it. Use screen-capture if copying is blocked, but be sure to post the attribution with the pics.
You can get the source of the pictures if you use Inspect Element to find the specific url of the picture. It also helps since the directory of the pictures aren't private (which is rare), so if you get the source of one picture, you have it for all of them.

I reuploaded the pictures with their original name to UT, is that what you meant by attribution?

Back