Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Development of an Inter-Regional Transit Terminal at the Kipling Subway Station

Corporate Report dated June 1, 2007 from the Commissioner of Transportation and Works with respect to the development of an Inter-Regional Transit Terminal at the Kipling Subway Station.

RECOMMENDATION
1. That a capital project be established for the Kipling Subway Inter-Regional Transit Terminal (PN 07-243) with a gross and net budget of $5,500,000.

2. That $5,500,000 be allocated from the Gas Tax (Federal) Reserve Fund account (#35182) to the Kipling Subway Inter-Regional Transit Terminal (PN 07-243) to fund the City of Mississauga’s share of the construction cost of the Kipling Inter- Regional Transit Terminal, and that the necessary by-law be enacted.

3. That a by-law be enacted to authorize the Commissioner of Transportation and Works and Clerk to enter into an agreement with GO Transit and TTC for the design and construction of the Kipling Inter-Regional Transit Terminal with City of Mississauga funding not to exceed $5,500,000, in a form satisfactory to Legal Services.

4. That the Commissioner of Transportation and Works be authorized to enter into negotiations with GO Transit to develop a draft cost sharing agreement for the maintenance and operating costs for the of the Kipling Inter-Regional Transit Terminal and that the agreement be presented to General Committee for approval at a later date.

5. That a copy of the report from the Commissioner of Transportation and Works dated June 1, 2007, related to the development of an Inter-Regional Transit Terminal at Kipling Subway Station be forwarded to the Ministry of General Committee - 3 - June 13, 2007 (3.) Transportation, the City of Toronto, the Greater Toronto transportation Authority, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) and GO Transit.

RECOMMEND APPROVAL

Dave

Um that's good! Right? $5 million was what Mississauga was planning to spend on the Kipling Terminal anyway I believe.

It's in the wrong place. It'll be the quickest thing to build that will get the buses away from Islington station (so that the land is freed up for SNC Lavalin's new local HQs), but it would make much more sense to extend the subway west to the 427 (at least) and get Mississauga & Airport buses on to subways faster, and off of Etobicoke roads.

It's in the wrong place. It'll be the quickest thing to build that will get the buses away from Islington station (so that the land is freed up for SNC Lavalin's new local HQs), but it would make much more sense to extend the subway west to the 427 (at least) and get Mississauga & Airport buses on to subways faster, and off of Etobicoke roads.

Of course the subway should be extended west. It's just a matter of how far west. Virtually all Mississaugans would love to have the subway extended to MCC. I think MCC is a natural place to end it.

I'm only musing about a quick, cheap, short term fix for the west end of the Bloor-Danforth line. Of course it would be incredibly helpful to extend the subway to MCC, but it would also be very expensive, and will take a long time.

I just wish we weren't spending money building a bus terminal at Kipling, when a relatively cheap and quick extension to 427 would make for a big boost in transit efficiency.

If the B-D is ever extended into Mississauga, a mega-terminal at Kipling will be a white elephant, like say the oversized terminal at Wilson. A terminal at 427 would probably have more lasting utility for regional and intercity buses.

I like the idea of the 427 terminal too. If Presto ever goes beyond the hyperbole and becomes more than just having multiple separate fares on one card, then having local MT buses replace TTC 50 would be even easier. The service on Bloor 49 is better, I see less a need to integrate MT 3 with it.

Ont. to reveal multimillion-dollar plan to redevelop Kipling Station
Last Updated: Monday, August 13, 2007 | 11:19 AM ET
CBC News
Toronto's Kipling Station will be turned into a major transit hub in a multimillion-dollar redevelopment, the Ontario government is expected to announce Monday.

CBC News has learned that Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield and Environment Minister Laurel Broten are set to announce around 1 p.m. ET that the western-most subway station on the Bloor-Danforth line will undergo a massive overhaul.

The new transit hub will include an inter-regional bus terminal to move commuters more quickly and conveniently between Mississauga Transit and GO buses to connecting TTC subway and GO Transit trains. It will also include more passenger pickup and dropoff locations.

"A new Kipling station will mean better transit for families in Etobicoke and Mississauga," a government source told CBC News.

The province and GO Transit are investing $30 million over three years to redevelop and build the new transit terminal, sources say. Mississauga is contributing $5.5 million to the project.

Construction is expected to begin next year with a completion date set for 2010.

The station will be fully accessible for people with disabilities and LEED certified as a green building. It will be built with renewable and low-emission construction materials.

from the Star

Kipling to be western transit hub

Aug 13, 2007 03:45 PM
Tamara Cherry
Staff Reporter

Commuters coming into Toronto from west of the city will have an easier time getting around with the construction of a transit hub at Kipling station, transportation authorities announced today.

Construction of the $30.5 million interregional terminal will begin next year with completion slated for 2010.

Currently the main transfer point between Mississauga Transit and the TTC is at Islingon, whereas the main TTC/GO Transit transfer point is at Kipling.

The new hub will replace congestion felt at Islington subway station, where the bulk of Mississauga commuters currently access GO Transit via the TTC subway to Kipling, said GO Transit chairman Peter Smith.

With Mississauga Transit bringing riders to Kipling station, commuters will be able to access GO Transit directly, rather than hopping on a TTC train from Islington station.

The environmentally friendly building will be wheelchair accessible, said Ontario’s Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield.

“We want this terminal to be a people place,†said Cansfield. “The bottom line is getting people out of their car and onto public transit.â€

Mississauga mayor Hazel McCallion said the hub is essential in ensuring “there are no roadblocks†in commuters’ way.

“The future is rosy, very rosy for public transit in the greater Toronto area,†McCallion said.

The CBC reported on the 6 pm news that Mississauga plans for a light rail line from Kipling station to run on Dundas.

Also, there was talk of an LRT to the airport from Kipling station.

^ I certainly wouldn't put much credibility in the first of those statements. Miss. has other priorities, notably the busway roughly paralleling Hwy. 403, and the Hurontario line. Both of these are major projects. I haven't heard serious discussion about any kind of line along Dundas Street. Sounds like someone's wishful thinking.

^ I certainly wouldn't put much credibility in the first of those statements. Miss. has other priorities, notably the busway roughly paralleling Hwy. 403, and the Hurontario line. Both of these are major projects. I haven't heard serious discussion about any kind of line along Dundas Street. Sounds like someone's wishful thinking.

The combined Peel Region presentation at the past GTTA meeting talked about the Dundas line. The first phase would be from Kipling to Hurontario, and it would eventually go to UTM and South Common... But at this point, it's a wish list from the planning department - nothing more than a line drawn on a map.

Does anyone know about the progress (planning) of the new office building at islington station (SNC...)?

Actually, the Dundas LRT line from Hurontario to Kipling got funding alredy in the Move Ontario 2020 plan. But ya, of three main projects, I think it'd likely be the last to go through. I wonder if the new terminal will include provisions for it or not, but considering the fact that 2020 was announced so late, I doubt it.

Btw, are there any renderings of the new terminal or is it a little premature?

I remember seeing some floating around the internet when the Pape redesign was announced. Check Spacing.ca... I think that's where I saw one of Kipling.

Back