Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

The work that Queens Quay Architects & Zeidler did in remodelling the entrance is right on par with the architectural prowess of Dundas Square buildings.

Good example of the Road to Hell being paved with good intentions. They built out to the street hoping to create a more 'urban' intersection and ended up creating that hideous interior space. The old atrium was more appropriate for the spot: a maybe-not-grand but comfortable entrance to the Eaton Centre that made you feel like you were arriving. There's so much they could have done here and instead it's one of the city's biggest architectural disasters.

"Good" intentions? I don't think their intent was to create a good/memorable urban experience as much as maximizing retail and outdoor ad space. Certainly someone with good intentions would have hired quality architects for the job instead of some second-rate firm with a record of uninspiring architecture.

AoD

Aesthetics aside, the pedestrian flow around and through the current entrance is also terrible. I don't know what it was like previously.

Aesthetics aside, the pedestrian flow around and through the current entrance is also terrible. I don't know what it was like previously.

two people asked me where the entrance was this week so far.
today I saw a woman in front of the former Sears entrance near Yonge/Dundas looking very confused, then she asked someone for directions, most likely looking for the retail at Eaton Centre.
I hope the Nordstrom could manage to configure this place so that people can move from Queen to Dundas inside the mall even when it is not open.

I don't understand why they haven't shown or described what their plans are. We know we're getting Nordstrom, but how is it being incorporated, and where are the renders?

If one looks at Nordstrom's other stores (including the remake of the Vancouver Sears), it's not going to have any wow factor at all. Lots of department chains around the world use architecture to lure customers. Nordstrom neglects architecture altogether.

Now they opened the boarded entrance (which they sealed a few weeks ago) for people to see inside but not enter...

unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,447
I saw on the Eaton Centre website that the passageway will reopen sometime in October.

I saw on the Eaton Centre website that the passageway will reopen sometime in October.

Nice to know. It should definitely be open during Nov-March so that people won't have to go outside to get to the shops.

Nice to know. It should definitely be open during Nov-March so that people won't have to go outside to get to the shops.
You don't have to go outside even with the passage closed - you just go down to the lower levels.

But yes, the passage would be somewhat more convenient.

The steel from that overhang is now completely removed. Passage should reopen sooner than later.

I wonder how they're getting it out of the building. Obviously, they're not taking it out through the front doors.

The TD atms at the corner there are also gone permanently.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5G 1Z3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 232389 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Oct 3, 2014

Project: Retail Store Re-Roofing/Re-Cladding

Description: Proposal for re-cladding of existing facade to suite with new tenant.

Now it's starting to get serious. Pardon the quality - early morning, coffee in hand!

EATON CENTRE 102114.JPG

Attachments

• EATON CENTRE 102114.JPG
    EATON CENTRE 102114.JPG
    321.5 KB · Views: 1,833
I am very curious as to what they are going to do. I do not mind the tiles and think that they ruined an otherwise decent design with the Sears/Eatons renovation. They have a modern aesthetic to work with and I would not be surprised if they kept some of the tiling (which it looks like they are doing). Whoever finds and posts a rendering, will have my admiration forever.

It says Nordstrom will open "Fall 2016". Is it supposed to take this long? I am sad to see such a large department store to be empty for almost 3 years.

Anyone else notice that they replaced the revolving doors on the corner? Now they just have this single door inset into the old circular door frame, its weird.

Back