Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

That would be two new locations and a relocation. With per square foot sales that lead the industry, it's not really that surprising… and for a company that is willing to wait for just the right space, they are now seeing options opening up in all three of those areas.

How uncharacteristic is the level of secrecy in the retail industry? Could it not be another store? I have a hard time believing that Apple is looking at three new locations in Toronto.

I don't have a hard time believing it. There is clearly a demand for more Apple in Toronto; have you been to the Eaton Centre location in the past year?!

One week wait for a Genius Bar appointment.

I don't have a hard time believing it. There is clearly a demand for more Apple in Toronto; have you been to the Eaton Centre location in the past year?!

One week wait for a Genius Bar appointment.

I am also surprised by the small presence of Apple in downtown Toronto. We can easily accommodate two: one at Eaton Centre and one in Yorkville or Queen West. Not sure about Union station as it doesn't strike me as a retail hub. The Eaton centre location should be twice the current size.

Two in the suburbs are enough (Fairview Mall in the east and Yorkdale in the west).

I am also surprised by the small presence of Apple in downtown Toronto. We can easily accommodate two: one at Eaton Centre and one in Yorkville or Queen West. Not sure about Union station as it doesn't strike me as a retail hub. The Eaton centre location should be twice the current size.

Two in the suburbs are enough (Fairview Mall in the east and Yorkdale in the west).

There is one at Sherway Garden as well, and more in the rest of the GTA. Downtown is definitely underserviced and need to be rectified.

AoD

There is one at Sherway Garden as well, and more in the rest of the GTA. Downtown is definitely underserviced and need to be rectified.

AoD

you are right! For some reason I thought Sherway Garden is in Mississauga (almost though)!

you are right! For some reason I thought Sherway Garden is in Mississauga (almost though)!

Personally, I just don't get the appeal of actually shopping at an Apple store - it's noisy and overan by stylista technodummies.

AoD

Last edited:
Personally, I just don't get the appeal of actually shopping at an Apple store - it's noisy and overan with by stylista technodummies.

AoD

I walk past the Apple store in Eaton centre at least twice every day, and I think the less than ideal appeal is mostly due to the lack of space. It is almost always crowded, sometimes as bad as a southbound Yonge subway at 8:30 am.

Plus there is no beauty in the design of the store (exterior and interior). Pretty bareback kind of layout. But it is Apple, and they can get away with it. Most of the clothing stores try to make the setting as nice as possible, while Apple is not so different from a Walmart or Canadian Tire.

Not sure about Union station as it doesn't strike me as a retail hub.

There is an Apple store in Grand Central Terminal in NYC. And Union is convenient for those who live/work in Southcore/Harbourfront and the Financial District, as well as commuters going to/from work. A weekday-oriented store, perhaps.

FYI there are already way more that 2 in the "suburbs"; Fairview, Yorkdale, Markville, Sherway, Mapleview, Square One, and Upper Canada Mall.

Last edited:
There is an Apple store in Grand Central Terminal in NYC. And Union is convenient for those who live/work in Southcore/Harbourfront and the Financial District, as well as commuters going to/from work. A weekday-oriented store, perhaps.

I have been to the Grand Central a few times and it has a lot of retail, including a Banana Republic, Tumi, MAC cosmetics, as well as several restaurants, so an Apple fits.
http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/pdfs/directoryMap.pdf

Union Station however is not the same. It is nothing but a transit hub. No one will think "let's go to Union Station and do some shopping".

I have been to the Grand Central a few times and it has a lot of retail, including a Banana Republic, Tumi, MAC cosmetics, as well as several restaurants, so an Apple fits.
http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/pdfs/directoryMap.pdf

Union Station however is not the same. It is nothing but a transit hub. No one will think "let's go to Union Station and do some shopping".

Current state that is correct. However, it is obviously changing with the redevelopment of Union Station to include much more retail.

Current state that is correct. However, it is obviously changing with the redevelopment of Union Station to include much more retail.

I certainly hope so! With so much office and condo supply nearby, Union station should act more like a European/Japanese style train station, which means a retail hub as well with a good number of stores and restaurants nearby, not just a typical boring North American transportation centre for people to get in and out of the city.

Personally, I just don't get the appeal of actually shopping at an Apple store - it's noisy and overun by stylista technodummies.

AoD

Thanks for that.

Thanks for that.

Haha, I would think you don't belong to that categorization (and I think you know what I meant by that subgroup identified). On a practical note, I highly doubt I am their target demographic - the whole point of an Apple store is to serve as a stage for the stars (their product) and the crowds are the supporting cast.

AoD

Last edited:

Back