Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

So, no sidewalk decor of any sort, with this makeover. Nothing. This is a soul-sapping result - a nail in the coffin for lower Yonge St.

I think it's time for the 'bitch-slap' award, forget the pug awards. Anyone involved in the Yonge-Dundas re-do over the last 20 years is nominated. The 10 Dundas E. project (aka "Metropolis"), Yonge-Dundas Sq. itself with its austere architecture, the thingy east of Y/D Square with the ductwork sticking out of the roof .. westward to the combined Canadian Tire/Ryerson facility, and then this blasted Nordstrom heap on the corner, which took a bad thing and made it even worse. What the heck is the matter with the administration of this city? They've allowed a rejuvenation effort to proceed in a hard-edged, callous sort of way. (Well, at least there is a garden patch further west along Dundas. How did that happen?).

It's all make-a-buck, no trees softening the streetscape, no attractive lamps, no cool furniture. Cheap developer mentality run amok. While other areas of downtown are being done up nicely, Yonge-Dundas looks like crap. This is completely disgusting.

So, no sidewalk decor of any sort, with this makeover. Nothing. This is a soul-sapping result - a nail in the coffin for lower Yonge St.

I think it's time for the 'bitch-slap' award, forget the pug awards. Anyone involved in the Yonge-Dundas re-do over the last 20 years is nominated. The 10 Dundas E. project (aka "Metropolis"), Yonge-Dundas Sq. itself with its austere architecture, the thingy east of Y/D Square with the ductwork sticking out of the roof .. westward to the combined Canadian Tire/Ryerson facility, and then this blasted Nordstrom heap on the corner, which took a bad thing and made it even worse. What the heck is the matter with the administration of this city? They've allowed a rejuvenation effort to proceed in a hard-edged, callous sort of way. (Well, at least there is a garden patch further west along Dundas. How did that happen?).

It's all make-a-buck, no trees softening the streetscape, no attractive lamps, no cool furniture. Cheap developer mentality run amok. While other areas of downtown are being done up nicely, Yonge-Dundas looks like crap. This is completely disgusting.

Not to mention the minor disaster that is the ex-Empress Hotel - who needs to expropriate an entire city block when you can demolish by neglect and replace it all with a classy flea market rounded by broken concrete half-mended with asphalt?

AoD

I agree that the architecture at this corner is not good. But in all fairness this corner is about retail. No one can say that this corner has not accomplished that, it is always bustling, and a destination. The semiotics (signs) accomplish their objectives. And though 10 Dundas is blah on the outside all of those escalators and the views up/ down the full height of that atrium is pretty impressive

I agree that the architecture at this corner is not good. But in all fairness this corner is about retail. No one can say that this corner has not accomplished that, it is always bustling, and a destination. The semiotics (signs) accomplish their objectives. And though 10 Dundas is blah on the outside all of those escalators and the views up/ down the full height of that atrium is pretty impressive

Except that good architecture and energetic retail isn't mutually exclusive - and the current setup isn't exactly doing all that well anyways (like 10 Dundas). High quality public realm draws people in - the current state of affairs gives people the impression "this is it"? That's not going to keep people from coming back unless they have no choice.

AoD

There's not going to be anymore investment into the sidewalks and street furniture of the area until the City agrees to narrow Yonge Street. The improvements that are happening in other areas are because the BIAs are putting up substantial cash, but why would the Downtown Yonge BIA do that at the moment? If they spent a pile on the public realm now, it would be a complete disincentive to widen the sidewalks, etc., for another generation.

Hopefully we will hear more soon about a renewed push to get Yonge Street more pedestrianized and that it will meet with success at City Hall, and then feel free to dream big!

Well if that's your idea of what a retail environment should be like, then so be it. I don't think I'll enjoy shopping among the eyesores.

I agree with Interchange42 above re. the need for Yonge Street public realm improvements. They're essential.

I figured out who the mystery retailer is going to be as signage is now going up.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,566
Only to think to ourselves (those of us who were kids), in disappointed silence, "oh...clothes..."
Hah--exactly what I was going to say: usually (and I was a kid), this came from a distant aunt and uncle, it was a sweater or, if we're really going back, sweat pants.

Alright, alright, I know, back on topic.

Back