Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

It would be nice if the sidewalk on Yonge was something other than cement.

What? What are you talking about.
We love our cement. We want nothing but cement on each and every of our public space. Nothing else. Actually we don't know anything other than cement.

Did they really maximize square footage though? I'm not sure they gained any additional retail space with the changes.

Compare this picture (note how far the ground floor storefronts extend out relative to the stairs or elevator being built for the parking garage above)
eaton-centre-5-jpg.75602

to this
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6530...OsFk5vYDjIiJOAiZGQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

and it would appear they have extended the mall out onto the sidewalk quite a bit.

I don't think they gained a lot - in the order the 50K sq. ft (for $40M) I think given the nature of what it is - but the impact to the generosity of the public realm is fairly disproportionate.

I will have to dig up that old issue of Azure about the project. Apparently the project was by Murphy Hilgers Architects - which got absorbed into Stantec. Just read a fairly positive article by Hume in the Star dated back to 1999 - and it's kind of offball in hindsight.

AoD

Last edited:
What? What are you talking about.
We love our cement. We want nothing but cement on each and every of our public space. Nothing else. Actually we don't know anything other than cement.
Wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly the case.

Watch the King Street-Mall years from now keep its ugly cement sidewalk and asphalt road.

If I'm reading this correctly, the 4 signs will be replaced by two large LED screens, each about 90 feet tall.

I think the 4 will actually be replaced w only 2, each ~27.4m tall, which is pretty impressive.

What is happening to that wall that is adjacent to the media tower? Is it being converted to an LED wall too?

I think the 4 will actually be replaced w only 2, each ~27.4m tall, which is pretty impressive.

What is happening to that wall that is adjacent to the media tower? Is it being converted to an LED wall too?

I had a close up look today. The mess of steel on the former SEARS wall is just temporary scaffolding. They're building framing for a wall with a large rectangle inset at the top, looks to be the depth of an LED display.

SQOWR2q.jpg

I still have a very hard time believing that they haven't found a tenant for this prime real estate or that the tenant is as secretive as Apple. Other retailers would jump at the first opportunity to start gloating that they're opening a store at Yonge-Dundas square

I don't think they gained a lot - in the order the 50K sq. ft (for $40M) I think given the nature of what it is - but the impact to the generosity of the public realm is fairly disproportionate.

I will have to dig up that old issue of Azure about the project. Apparently the project was by Murphy Hilgers Architects - which got absorbed into Stantec. Just read a fairly positive article by Hume in the Star dated back to 1999 - and it's kind of offball in hindsight.

AoD

It would be nice if they had kept the sidewalk as wide there as it is now/was along Nordstroms/Sears/Eatons. Would make avoiding the Black History Month guys a bit easier.

I imagine it's going to be something fast fashion related - a full size TopShop or similar with a screen like that. It would make sense to group H&M, Uniqlo, and something similar together.

Otherwise - secrets can also be beneficial if it surprises your competitors - it makes catching up much harder to do. I think Apple, Tesla, and Ikea are all pretty cagey about new store plans. They can't be the only ones.

Anybody hear anything about Uniqlo? When they plan to open? I have not seen much in regards to this, and personally I couldn't care less about Nordstrom.
I am much more excited about uniqlo, both for shopping as well as their amazing visual approach. They are all about bold rainbow colours. Nordstrom... Looks like a soccer mom's kitchen makeover fantasy. (Which is better than Sears so I'm fine with that).

Anybody hear anything about Uniqlo? When they plan to open? I have not seen much in regards to this, and personally I couldn't care less about Nordstrom.
I am much more excited about uniqlo, both for shopping as well as their amazing visual approach. They are all about bold rainbow colours. Nordstrom... Looks like a soccer mom's kitchen makeover fantasy. (Which is better than Sears so I'm fine with that).

Having just experienced UNIQLO for the first time in HK, I'm looking forward as well. No major updates since the initial "Fall 2016" (for both locations) but looks like the Yorkdale location will be mid-October.

EDIT: Oh, even more up-to-date info just beat my post, thanks.

Back