News   Jul 15, 2024
 489     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 646     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 582     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

That looks nice, and can probably only be done with railways, that generally do not have utilities in their ROW. A street crossing overhead has storm sewer at a minimum, and often many other utilities under the street.

That looks nice, and can probably only be done with railways, that generally do not have utilities in their ROW. A street crossing overhead has storm sewer at a minimum, and often many other utilities under the street.

Where Shon's photo was taken from is a street crossing overhead and you can see another (major) street crossing overhead in the background.

For the station site itself, Shon suggested this approach in the Eglinton Square triangle, where there isn't a street overhead (just some grass and a few trees).

I'm glad Shon's brought this up. I've been advocating using the Rietlandpark stop as a model for the Victoria Park stop for years now. One short tunnelled section could avoid busy intersections at Vic Park, Eglinton Square/O'Connor, and Pharmacy and there's a great space available to build an wide open below-grade stop.

I'm glad Shon's brought this up. I've been advocating using the Rietlandpark stop as a model for the Victoria Park stop for years now. One short tunnelled section could avoid busy intersections at Vic Park, Eglinton Square/O'Connor, and Pharmacy and there's a great space available to build an wide open below-grade stop.

I'm pretty sure you're the one that told me to check out Rietlandpark! It's a great, relatively simple model to speed up surface LRT at critical locations.

I'm pretty sure you're the one that told me to check out Rietlandpark! It's a great, relatively simple model to speed up surface LRT at critical locations.

Yeah, I'm not sure who else would tell you to do that. :)

It's not even an idea that could work in many places on the Transit City network. But it would work really well at Vic Park where 1. the curve in Eglinton and 2. the free unused land in the Eg Square triangle would make it really feasible.

There is definitely room for Eglinton West station to have washrooms when the Crosstown line opens. Right now, on Line 1, there are no washrooms within the fare-paid zone between Yorkdale and Wellesley stations inclusive.

If 2 hour fares happen, then you can come out of the subway, use the bathroom or do an errand or whatever, then get back on without paying again.

Victoria Park will prove to be an important stop, and there are great redevelopment opportunities here. But washrooms aren't needed here. In fact, I think the one subway station that could really use public washrooms is St. George.

But I would have liked to see something like this in the Eglinton/Vic Park/Eglinton Square triangle:

Rietlandpark Tram Stop, Amsterdam

It would avoid two major traffic signals and add a bit more "RT" to LRT in this area.

I don't disagree with the idea, but what's the cost going to be? Could it be built without hugely expanding the current budget?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There is nothing stopping it from being converted to LRT in the future. Steve Mahoney even campaigned with conversion to LRT in his transit platform. There are a few sections that would need to be reworked, and the stations would need some upgrading, but there is no reason why the transit way cannot become LRT in the future. (Unless GO's need for the transit way prevents the city from converting it)

the transitway wasn't designed for conversion to LRT. I talked to the lead project manager (I work for the city), and he said there's no plans for conversion and he laughed when I brought up Mahoney's comment.

the transitway wasn't designed for conversion to LRT. I talked to the lead project manager (I work for the city), and he said there's no plans for conversion and he laughed when I brought up Mahoney's comment.

Streets aren't generally designed for LRT or streetcars either. It doesn't mean that they can't be retrofitted.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Streets aren't generally designed for LRT or streetcars either. It doesn't mean that they can't be retrofitted.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thank you... what the hell is this talk about "conversion to LRT" not being possible.

Its %*&$ing pavement in an ROW... of course it can be converted to LRT.

What, is there hot lava under the asphalt that makes it impossible?

Back