News   Jul 23, 2024
 501     2 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 434     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 471     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Basically it is impossible to predict ridership very accurately, it is just that the projections were obviously done with assumptions that make the plan proposed by the politicians look good. So I presume that the projections for Eglinton LRT assume very little or no population growth along Eglinton. This might be realistic if (a) the province abolishes the Greenbelt and growth moves to low density suburbs (b) the province abolishes the OMB and it becomes excessively difficult to get approval for condos along Eglinton (c) there is a recession like there was in the early 1990s (d) the federal government makes it harder to immigrate to Canada. This probably isn't realistic if there is a booming economy, the OMB allows developers to get zoning approval for numerous 20 storey condos all along Eglinton, and the province keeps the Greenbelt.

I know, I was just making the point. Ultimately I'm saying these places are not appealing at all for business no matter what. I think I was getting to the point you just made, eventually.

Actually vacancy rates are low in North York Centre, so I don't think this is necessarily true. Vacancy rates are much higher in Scarborough Centre and Mississauga Centre. If it becomes difficult to get buildings approved downtown (due to shortage of parking lots where tall buildings are allowed and where there are no heritage buildings) then it might come back. There must be a reason why a huge office development is proposed near the DVP/Gardiner interchange.

If the ridership is double or triple the projections in 2031 or later, they can always add a 3rd car to the trains increasing train capacity by 50%, and run very frequent service within the tunnel.

Not grade separating the section between Don Mills and Laird makes this useless. This section will have to be rebuilt if short turn service is ever needed.

Actually vacancy rates are low in North York Centre, so I don't think this is necessarily true. Vacancy rates are much higher in Scarborough Centre and Mississauga Centre. If it becomes difficult to get buildings approved downtown (due to shortage of parking lots where tall buildings are allowed and where there are no heritage buildings) then it might come back. There must be a reason why a huge office development is proposed near the DVP/Gardiner interchange.

I said no new developments - it isn't "necessarily true", it is true, period. Huge office development proposed near downtown (not just "DVP/Gardiner" interchange), proximate to highly desirable neighbourhoods (Riverdale, Leslieville) and future development areas (Portlands, WDL) is contextually hugely different from NYCC and other sub-centres.

AoD

Last edited:
Not grade separating the section between Don Mills and Laird makes this useless. This section will have to be rebuilt if short turn service is ever needed.

Why? Will 95% of the ridership be between Don Mills and Laird station? Yeah 150,000 people a day travel between Ontario Science Centre or the super market and Canadian Tire. The one traffic light at Leslie, home of a car dealership and abandoned hotel, will ruin the whole line.

There will be tons of ridership on the currently underground section. Much of the ridership now is between Laird and Yonge, and West of Yonge of course is one of the most popular routes in the city.

That's stagnation. Just because vacancy is low does not mean the area is in high demand.

Why? Will 95% of the ridership be between Don Mills and Laird station? Yeah 150,000 people a day travel between Ontario Science Centre or the super market and Canadian Tire. The one traffic light at Leslie, home of a car dealership and abandoned hotel, will ruin the whole line.

There will be tons of ridership on the currently underground section. Much of the ridership now is between Laird and Yonge, and West of Yonge of course is one of the most popular routes in the city.
Peak ridership for the whole line is not near 10000 riders though. There should not be a stop at Laird at all.

To be fair I think that the projections for the Vaughan subway extension are BS in the opposite direction. In other words ridership will be much lower than projected. That is because the Vaughan Centre development will obviously flop. People do not want to live near giant CN railway yards.
To which projections do you refer to. The most recent one I recall north of Steeles was the 2005? study that will was assuming it would be LRT ... which I think was about 2,000 riders at the peak hour.

You think it will be much less than 2,000 per hour, or are you referring to a different projection that I don't recall?

Whoa Whoa, I though the Laird stop was complaints by people in the condos north of Eglinton. I don't remember anyone in Leaside complaining about Laird.

You must be talking about Leslie...

Anyways the fact is we will have a major transit expansion with the Eglinton line with 10km of tunnels and 10km surface ROW and our RT map will look get a long orange line added.

People who claim that the one traffic light at Leslie "ruins the whole line" are being over-dramatic in my opinion, but whatever we'll see in 6-7 years.

You don't understand ehlow. This will be the EGLINTON DISASTER. MARK MY WORDS. A DISASTER I TELL YOU, A DISASTER! A DISASTER of such great scale that it will make the St. Clair DISASTER of 2010 look like the work of angels. Oh the agony. The pain! The suffering!

I honestly think there will be more complains about Eglinton construction coming from outside of Midtown than within it. It will be people from other areas of the city complaining they face traffic on Eglinton.

Which I won't mind, they shouldn't be treating Eglinton as a highway anyway. :)

You don't understand ehlow. This will be the EGLINTON DISASTER. MARK MY WORDS. A DISASTER I TELL YOU, A DISASTER! A DISASTER of such great scale that it will make the St. Clair DISASTER of 2010 look like the work of angels. Oh the agony. The pain! The suffering!

What about the station construction on Keele north of Finch, is that a disaster? Its for the Finch West Subway station. Oh wait!! Subway? Oh, for a subway it isn't a disaster because it is a subway, if it was for a station on a LRT then its a disaster. Is that right?

KeeleFinchCons.jpg

Aerial-Photograph-April-29-2013-Finch-West-Station-looking-north.jpg

People who claim that the one traffic light at Leslie "ruins the whole line" are being over-dramatic in my opinion, but whatever we'll see in 6-7 years.

Of course, one traffic light will not ruin the line. After all, subway tunnels have traffic signals, and occasionally those signals break, causing significant delays. Nobody says that subway signals ruin subway lines.

But the concern is that the street-median section between the Laird portal and Don Mills portal will preclude running additional trains between Yonge and Don Mills, to deal with riders transferring from Lawrence East, Don Mills, and 100 Flemmington buses.

It is not end of the world; in the worst case, TTC will resume running 54 Lawrence East buses to Yonge instead of terminating them at Don Mills. But that would look rather silly, given that those 2.5 km between the two portals could be grade-separated for little or no extra cost.

Back