News   Jun 28, 2024
 3K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 612     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

We should have just dug a proper 28 km subway entirely below grade from Renforth to Kennedy and using new buys of the same Toronto Rockets we use on the Sheppard and Yonge–University Lines, or whatever trains will be bought for the 26 km Bloor-Danforth line.

If we had started a boring machine at Renforth in 2011 and stayed below ground the entire distance, minus bridge underpasses, how long would it need to get to Kennedy? I believe such machines run at about 10-15 meters per day. It's 28,000 meters as the crow flies from Renforth to Kennedy, so that's 2,800 days, or about eight years, assuming we don't run a second machine from Kennedy going westward.
I don't disagree. I personally think the fact like 80% of the corridor is grade separated with a spur as LRT in the east makes the LRT advantage moot. Unfortunately, the decision is made and at least we'll get something that's better than a bus and at least can achieve some decent reliability with the grade separation.

You cant just think about bare tunnels here, the longer the line, the more rails, the more stations, the more electrical work.

I think I remember the stat as an underground station like queen/spadina nowadays is in the realm of 300-500 million for a single station

Theres like 15 stops in scarborough. Thats like an extra 5-7 billion. Thats very underestimated too
Maybe our station don’t need to be palaces. Look at St. Patrick station, it’s just some stairs at the roadside.
subway-5122-01.jpg

Yes, we’ll need an elevator somewhere to meet modern accessibility rules, but still, we can keep it simple.

Why?

The original plan didn't go anywhere easy of Allen Road.
Precisely. It could have been extended later on. Going forward transit lines should be done in phases. The enormous size of this project is leading to a lot of issues.

Maybe our station don’t need to be palaces. Look at St. Patrick station, it’s just some stairs at the roadside.
subway-5122-01.jpg

Yes, we’ll need an elevator somewhere to meet modern accessibility rules, but still, we can keep it simple.
So...cut and cover? Yea im sure that would be popular in...*checks notes* scarborough 6 lane stroads in 2015

So...cut and cover? Yea im sure that would be popular in...*checks notes* scarborough 6 lane stroads in 2015
Since when has Toronto Council GAF what Scarberians wanted? This was a chance to force change, get rid of the stroads, add bike lanes on both sides.

Precisely. It could have been extended later on. Going forward transit lines should be done in phases. The enormous size of this project is leading to a lot of issues.
This project is in phases. Phase 2 gets it to Renforth. Phase 3 to the airport.

I've seen nothing to indicate that size is a significant factor in the commissioning delays.

Are smaller stations only possible with cut and cover?

Most stations are built using cut and cover tech. The TBMs will tunnel through the station area and they will then dig down the full size of the station box. Building smaller stations means you're just backfilling more soil. The bigger problem was for TYSSE that had gargantuan structures above ground leading to higher costs.

Crosstown kinda fixed that by needing smaller stations and having smaller stations buildings.

Ontario Line changes everything by needing keyhole shafts at specific locations and the actual station boxes are mined horizontally from these shafts. Specifically the downtown stations are built using this method. The problem with OL is that they have to go down 35 metres in order to build the station boxes.

So... Scarborough is too good for grade integrated transit, and also for cut and cover? Does no one else get the feeling that these people are asking for entirely too much?

Also the deep tube station shown in the post you replied to is not cut and cover.

A quick look at the drawing that was sent, plus actual visits to St. Patrick Station will show that it was not in fact built with Cut and Cover.

Back