News   Jun 26, 2024
 233     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I think the goal would be for people to cycle within their community.
To where though? I used to live in the area and if anyone’s travelling in the area it’s almost always to a big box store (not bringing a Walmart haul on a bike) to the movies or the bluffs (again not great options) it took me like 30 mins to bike to Kingston road from the bluffs

Just a few screenshots of the refurbished Kodak building that will be a community space!

IMG_3043.png

IMG_3042.png
IMG_3041.png
IMG_3040.png
IMG_3039.png

To where though? I used to live in the area and if anyone’s travelling in the area it’s almost always to a big box store (not bringing a Walmart haul on a bike) to the movies or the bluffs (again not great options) it took me like 30 mins to bike to Kingston road from the bluffs
The whole area will change.

We should have just dug a proper 28 km subway entirely below grade from Renforth to Kennedy and using new buys of the same Toronto Rockets we use on the Sheppard and Yonge–University Lines, or whatever trains will be bought for the 26 km Bloor-Danforth line.

If we had started a boring machine at Renforth in 2011 and stayed below ground the entire distance, minus bridge underpasses, how long would it need to get to Kennedy? I believe such machines run at about 10-15 meters per day. It's 28,000 meters as the crow flies from Renforth to Kennedy, so that's 2,800 days, or about eight years, assuming we don't run a second machine from Kennedy going westward.
What would that have done? More tunnels and bigger stations would not have solved the poor management and design decisions, and the outsourcing of all the knowledge and management experience. If it had been left as an in house TTC project, as part of an ongoing transit construction office that included other projects like the Spadina extension, DRL, and the other LRT lines, then we would have been much better off, we would have been riding the first phase in 2015.

Clearly, it's not a rhetorical dismissal, because there's a whole paragraph of text after the line you quoted that you cut out.

The problem here is not the mode. It's Metrolinx.
In a perfect world, the TTC would have been given the money to construct a subway along Eglinton.

If there's nowhere to cycle to then there's nowhere to walk to either, yet we have still built sidewalks.

sidewalks are for walking to the bus stop, at least in my mind. That's why some suburbs (that didn't have any transit service) didn't have sidewalks
Yeah - and they are truly s***** places to walk around when you have young children.

“Stay on the sidewalk everywhere else but on these random streets, where you have to walk on the road. And no - you can’t run around, because drivers aren’t expecting toddlers to be roaming in the streets.”

I truly, truly hate them.

Yeah - and they are truly s***** places to walk around when you have young children.

“Stay on the sidewalk everywhere else but on these random streets, where you have to walk on the road. And no - you can’t run around, because drivers aren’t expecting toddlers to be roaming in the streets.”

I truly, truly hate them.
I don’t mind so much, it’s nice to not need to plow the sidewalk either. Not everyone has kids

What do you think will be different? Maybe I’m biased but I feel like most people like the setup enough how it is?
If done right the Golden Mile area will be a community unto itself, so bike path users are traveling around the community rather than commuting to jobs downtown.

I don’t mind so much, it’s nice to not need to plow the sidewalk either. Not everyone has kids
I mean - I get that, and that’s why I didn’t make an blanket statement, and my initial sentence was “ they are truly s***** places to walk around when you have young children.”

I’m sure they are totally fine places if you hate plowing sidewalks and/or don’t have kids.

Back