Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Will this be a Toronto first to have floors occupied while a building is still under construction? I can't even think of an example where an existing tower had an extension put on while the floors below were in use.

No. This will not be Toronto first.

This is common practice. In July 2006, when I moved into a lower floor in RoCP1, upper floors were being constructed. From my bedroom window I could see panels being hauled to higher floors.

As long as a unit is 'inhabitable' -- that is, heating, plumbing etc is working --, a builder has the right to ask a purchaser to move in.

Plans are to deliver 2 apartments per week to the purchasers.

There are 931 units in this building. At 2 units per week, that's only 466 weeks, or 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks.

Maybe they meant 2 floors per week?

What about elevators? When people are occupying floor 20 and they are still constructing floor 25, how do they handle the elevators? Do they just but a piece of plastic sheeting over the hole? :)

Not all of the elevators go all the way up, so there could be functioning elevators inside a building that's still under construction. And they can generally install the elevator doors on each floor well before the work inside the shaft is underway.

Not all of the elevators go all the way up, so there could be functioning elevators inside a building that's still under construction. And they can generally install the elevator doors on each floor well before the work inside the shaft is underway.

Understood. But lets say you have occupied the 20th floor and the bank of elevators that services that floor will service all the way to the 40th floor, won't they have to keep moving the mechanics at the top of the elevator upward each time they occupy a new floor?

There are 931 units in this building. At 2 units per week, that's only 466 weeks, or 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks.

Maybe they meant 2 floors per week?

Most likely yes. 2 floors per week. It could be that R/E agent misunderstood what was said or he misspoke to me.

whatdya mean by "completed?".. poured?.. i was kinda hoping we'd be at level 50 by the end of next year... oh well,.. and what does it mean by "balance" of the floors?..

is completion of this one 2013 or 2014?

R.E. Agents are kinda sketchy on detail; that's to say they don't ever pay attention to it.
Don't listen to Realtors, listen to developers - THEY know the score! R.E. Agents do whatever they need to in order to make $. Just sayin'..

Understood. But lets say you have occupied the 20th floor and the bank of elevators that services that floor will service all the way to the 40th floor, won't they have to keep moving the mechanics at the top of the elevator upward each time they occupy a new floor?

Good point. I'm curious too about how they circumvent this issue with the elevators. Maybe in this scenario they would have to build up to the 40th floor before allowing occupancy for residents between 1-40th floors?

Secondly, it appears that the occupancy phase and associated occupancy fee/phantom mortgage would be worse for those living at the base of the tower given the fact that canderel appears to be staggering the occupancy dates for almost a year. Silly question but would you be able to decline from occupying the unit until later?

Looking west from Church. About 4-6 weeks it should eclipse The Liberties and start taking over the sky from this angle.

auran2.jpg

Secondly, it appears that the occupancy phase and associated occupancy fee/phantom mortgage would be worse for those living at the base of the tower given the fact that canderel appears to be staggering the occupancy dates for almost a year. Silly question but would you be able to decline from occupying the unit until later?

As long as a unit is 'habitable' -- that is heating,plumbing is working -- you can not decline to occupy your unit. Read the fine print of your agreement.

I, and others as well, paid 1 year's phantom mortgage at RoCP1.

i feel like i'm the only one who hasn't seen the glass in person... i have no idea why

beautiful pics BTW, Aura is gonna change the entire city/view from many areas. so many streets are gonna feel different with this monster overhead.

Back