Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

So this is what's considered "Landmark Architecture "? Our standards are seriously low. Note to CF, look around!!!

I laughed when I saw that as well. While all the office towers in Southcore have been built to high standards, none have produced a memorable design.
I don't hate the look of 16 York, but it's a rectangle all too familiar on Bremner.

So this is what's considered "Landmark Architecture "? Our standards are seriously low. Note to CF, look around!!!
It true! It a real problem here in Toronto.
Unfortunately, the architecture is not important in our society.
We only build building without style because it more economical.
The government and clients doesn't care too about architecture excellence.

I laughed when I saw that as well. While all the office towers in Southcore have been built to high standards, none have produced a memorable design.
I don't hate the look of 16 York, but it's a rectangle all too familiar on Bremner.

Hyperbole is the hallmark of property marketing in Toronto (condo and office commercial). This could very be a well executed glass box - a landmark amongst landmarks! Now, let's see you if you can find it...you know, that glass tower near the ACC? Yes, that one...

AoD

No one is really fooled by it but, there is an archetype that desperately wants it to be true and they will gladly try and convince themselves by convincing others who gives them an ear.

I would like to see more hyperbole style architecture in Toronto.
The only nice office tower in Toronto is Ey tower.
So a tower like Union center or 160 front will be welcomed.

As an observer these buildings may not inspire; however, shouldn't buildings be for the clients first? I'm not going to proclaim it a fundamental law of the universe but I have personally noticed that well known buildings with exceptional architecture, by known architects tend to have real problems retaining and attracting clients, and are particularly difficult to rent out or be adapted to re-use for future clients. This is not a knock on inspiring architecture but it is something to think about if we are knocking bread-and-butter architecture.

As an observer these buildings may not inspire; however, shouldn't buildings be for the clients first? I'm not going to proclaim it a fundamental law of the universe but I have personally noticed that well known buildings with exceptional architecture, by known architects tend to have real problems retaining and attracting clients, and are particularly difficult to rent out or be adapted to re-use for future clients. This is not a knock on inspiring architecture but it is something to think about if we are knocking bread-and-butter architecture.

I don't think anyone is suggesting groundbreaking architecture here - but some diversity in terms of materials and form/massing would do well.

And besides, bread and butter is not "landmark", which is what the marketing claimed it to be.

AoD

It's not great for the lake view of the skyline but I really don't mind the blockish look of the office towers along Bremner. Some different materials would be great though.

Bay Adelaide Centre was probably the best location for some post postmodernism with a grandiose entry plaza with fountains, sculptures and, a winter garden. Y'know, something to lift forumers' spirits.

Last edited:
There are architectural gestures that can be employed to give a building a distinctive presence without going full-blown Dubai or Pudong, etc. Here, aA is going with the mid-building volume shift to accomplish that, and it's a small enough gesture that it won't burden the building with the retaining clients problem. I'm not sure it's a big enough gesture to attract them in the first place, however: it's a bit too dull maybe.

The lack of tenants so far is not proof that design anemia here is keeping them at bay though: Toronto has many proposed office buildings competing for tenants, and there are too many variables to declare one to be the reason why a particular tower is still looking for lessors.

Still, I wish the design gesture at 16 York was related to Ïce's taller east tower: the two are quite close together, and I'd rather see a notch of some kind taken out of 16 York which 1) increases the separation distance between the two buildings, and 2) gives 16 York some architectural distinction (more than the current design gives it, without making it look like the building was actually designed for Doha).

If that means replacing the removed square footage with another couple of floors, so be it: these office towers along Bremner are all too similar in height.

I don't even have a problem with the height - taken together it creates a certain urban coherence at York/Bremner. The form on the other than is as pedestrian as it can get - something like EY tower would go a long way to break the monotony. Also - the architecture of the district is lacking in "solidity" - something the Financial District itself never experienced (wall to ceiling curtain wall making up the entire facade has never been deployed an masse, except for recent builds).

AoD

I hope the rumours are true that The Well has a tenant ready to sign. These are the types of building that are both distinct and offer multi-floor tenants pretty much what they want. It's a good direction for the city.

Back