Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

See UrbanOptic's post from early Nov. He/she has been a great source of info as it pertains to this project and is far more in the know than the average UT member.

Is the design being reconsidered? Or is that just the hope of members on UT?

As per Southcore's post above re: UrbanOptic, I'd consider it more than mere hope, but we have not heard anything official.

Either way, I'm not sure it really needs to be. I think the renders loook good, and it fits in nicely with what's in this area.

That will be different for everyone of course, and personally I welcome a reconsideration, mostly because I want to see the office tower with a greater separation distance to the east Ïce tower, and secondarily because I'd rather see something more distinctive here. The aA plan is handsome as (pretty much) always, but it's not especially memorable—in a spot that I consider high-profile and therefore deserving of something a little bolder. I would particularly like to see an office tower here that is designed to enhance views from York Street of the Ïce tower tops, as opposed to blocking those views. Those towers have become architectural landmarks in the area and they should be showcased, not hidden.

January 20, 2016
1.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,660
Thanks for that. Really puts everything in the area in perspective. Would be nice if Infinity was one block East, and Ice and this block were one block West, thus hiding infinity.

Does anyone know of any sites or ways to compare Toronto's recent office growth with other similar cities in N. America?

its fairly standard amount of new space for a market that isn't in recession. The US went through 5 years of recession, and thus didn't build much office space until recently. Because Canada wasn't hit as hard in the recession, Toronto has built more space since 2009 than most American cities, but it has similar levels of new space as a percentage of the total market to most American cities coming online today.

Is this building going to look similar to the two other buildings across the street? Is the same developer building this structure?

…and in the dataBase file attached at the top of the page. @cd concept, you can often find the answers you're looking for in the dataBase file: just check to see if there is one linked near the top of the page on any particular thread.

Why didn't they just build the underground levels(parking) while they were building Ice? They could've rented out the parking until they were ready to build the office tower

look at the picture of the surface lot. Its not exactly full, I doubt there would be demand for 4 or 5 levels of underground parking.

its fairly standard amount of new space for a market that isn't in recession. The US went through 5 years of recession, and thus didn't build much office space until recently. Because Canada wasn't hit as hard in the recession, Toronto has built more space since 2009 than most American cities, but it has similar levels of new space as a percentage of the total market to most American cities coming online today.

Competition is fierce in the US for both developers and municipal governments. It is not uncommon to see new construction within metro areas with vacancies approaching 20%.

Never know but, I don't see the rush to get the site developed. CF can sit on this for decades waiting for that payout that is four to fives that of a condo. Ice already paid for it. I can't see 15 floors of office under a condo tower doing as well either.

Never know but, I don't see the rush to get the site developed. CF can sit on this for decades waiting for that payout that is four to fives that of a condo. Ice already paid for it. I can't see 15 floors of office under a condo tower doing as well either.

what sot of use would yield a payout that is "four to fives that of a condo" exactly?

Back