News   Apr 26, 2024
 381     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I could be mistaken but they seem to be measuring Spadina station on the Bloor-Danforth line for the new subway cars. There's chalk outlines in the center where the support colums are and papers tape to the wall saying "Car A (23,190 mm)" i cant remember the exact measurement, but it was written like that.

That measurement fits whats on the info released so far on these cars, so I suspect the same as you.

Regarding he photo above, I'm guessing that is the mock-up they are on?

Mock-up? No, that's the real deal.

It's a mock-up. Just look below where the wheels should be.

Bombardier_Toronto_Rocket_train_front.jpg

Does anyone know when delivery is supposed to be? It says "late 2009" that seems to be soon.

One date i came across was late August 2009. However the Wilson yard maintenance building have to be expanded to hold the new trains before they can come into service. At the moment there at the stage of putting up the frame work for the new buildings, but its anyone's guess if there going to finish on time. That's the major hold up at this point.

Some addition mock-up images of the new Subway cars from Ryan Flores on Flicker

2722534782_eee998485b.jpg

2721710147_ef2c9b80c3_o.jpg

Its different that the first mock ups ive seen. This one seems to use the screen to not only show what station is next but a image of it as well. Too bad its the wrong station in the photo.:rolleyes:
2722535624_3cfeb3027c.jpg

2722537292_34e8b257ca.jpg

set-72157606481164578

What a fantastic good news story. We're getting much-needed new subway cars and we're helping thousands of our fellow Ontarians keep their jobs during a recession.

What a fantastic good news story. We're getting much-needed new subway cars and we're helping thousands of our fellow Ontarians keep their jobs during a recession.

Too bad most people who comment on news websites seem to disagree:rolleyes:. (aka the current streetcar replacement)

A screen for new flashier advertisements?

In the computer renderings the screen shows "System Message" not next station, however they seem to have dumb down other displays that would have shown arrows pointing towars the doors opening at what station. that why this has taken me by surprise. However i wouldn't be surprised if your right about "flashier advertisements"

Last edited:
Id like to see the format from the current TV's in the stations. Advertising up top and stops/service announcements on the red band below. Uniformity in this case is good.

Id like to see the format from the current TV's in the stations. Advertising up top and stops/service announcements on the red band below. Uniformity in this case is good.

I always hated those CP24 Subway T.V. Especially with the "Next Train in XX minutes" they should have upgraded and used the old signs that said "Next train" minutes or delayed messages on them instead.

Aah you should've put a warning on the first picture! It scared the crap out of me :eek:

The new subway cars look nice though. I can't wait till they start service!

I have a bit of a question though, that's only kinda half related to the new cars. Since the new cars will be able to use automatic train control, I imagine platform screen doors can't be far off. I was taking a look at pictures of different subways around the world, and I noticed that the ones with platform screen doors seemed to have very different designs. It looked like a few of them seemed to have platform screen doors built into the stations, while others looked like they were quickly installed after the platform had already been built. Is this because some were actually built into the station while others were installed afterwards or are they just different styles of doors/screens?

I guess that if they were built into the stations, it might be kind of hopeless to ask because from the looks of things we're not going to be getting any new subway lines. However, I expect new lines like *crosses fingers* Eglinton, DRL/Don Mills, Sheppard and B-D to have the cool integrated-looking PSDs. Of course, if there was any new lines or extensions, awesome looking platform screen doors will be the least of my enjoyment :p

Last edited:
Aah you should've put a warning on the first picture! It scared the crap out of me :eek:

The new subway cars look nice though. I can't wait till they start service!

I have a bit of a question though, that's only kinda half related to the new cars. Since the new cars will be able to use automatic train control, I imagine platform screen doors can't be far off. I was taking a look at pictures of different subways around the world, and I noticed that the ones with platform screen doors seemed to have very different designs. It looked like a few of them seemed to have platform screen doors built into the stations, while others looked like they were quickly installed after the platform had already been built. Is this because some were actually built into the station while others were installed afterwards or are they just different styles of doors/screens?

Not sure what you mean, but I'll try. Many cities with screen doors put them in afterwards (because the ATC necessary for the doors is a relatively new invention). When installed properly, these doors can easily look like they were 'always there' even when not. This can easily be seen in Hong Kong where doors were installed later in the older lines.

Meanwhile some lines have it built in from the start, but still, subway stations are subway stations. The design of the station may be 'newer' because it IS newer (screen doors or not) but I don't think you really need to alter the design of a station to fit in doors because the platform widths and tracks are basically the same anyway.

Oh okay. I guess the more you make it look like it was there from the start, the longer it takes to install though. And yes, you answered my question totally.

Montreal has had ATC for almost 35 years now ... and no plans to install platform doors yet. At that rate, we could easily be looking at 2050 before platform doors are in place.

Back