News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 436     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Sweet! I can't wait to use the new trains.

What are those other bi-level trains shown in the video? They're blue, white and red.

Those are bilevels and, from the look of the livery, they're being built for Trinity Railway Express, the commuter service in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Say... doesn't that look like OUR new subway train?

IMG_0385.jpg

Actually, it's from Beijing. From the Overhead Wire website.

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

Say, why is the rest of world using GREEN for their exit signs, while Ontario uses RED? Doesn't RED mean STOP? And GREEN mean GO? I do think the TTC uses green at the turnstiles for exit, opposite to Ontario standards for exit.

something about the colour red cannot be seen by a person with a rather "wide spread" eye function disability.

don't qoute me though. I've only vaguely heard about this.

Plus, North America have planty of its own things that does not align with the rest of the world. The pattern of pedestrian crosswalks for example. Toronto has only recently adopted the international standard, the rest of the New World is still stuck in between the two very thin lines.

Say, why is the rest of world using GREEN for their exit signs, while Ontario uses RED? Doesn't RED mean STOP? And GREEN mean GO? I do think the TTC uses green at the turnstiles for exit, opposite to Ontario standards for exit.

The green exit icon with the Chinese character and the English word 'EXIT' below (3rd photo in the linked page) was borrowed from Hong Kong's MTR. Interestingly, since pretty much every Chinese subway system (with the exception of the original Beijing subway, which predates the MTR) has styled its signage after the MTR, that green icon can be seen in almost every Chinese subway station.

874367934_9e558a1a38_o.jpg

The green exit icon with the Chinese character and the English word 'EXIT' below (3rd photo in the linked page) was borrowed from Hong Kong's MTR. Interestingly, since pretty much every Chinese subway system (with the exception of the original Beijing subway, which predates the MTR) has styled its signage after the MTR, that green icon can be seen in almost every Chinese subway station.

must be ego boosting...

if it works it works. And when it comes to signs, if it works then everybody should use it.

The Ontario Fire Code should be updated as far as emergency exit signs go. We should be migrating to the standard of green coloured signs since we are trained to move on green (fire burns red, red means stop, green means go). In addition we should adopt the person running out the door symbol which has also been adopted in many places.

Since the first delivery of the 39 six-car trainsets are to arrive in Toronto by 2009 (Hey! That's this year!), here's some information from Bombardier:

Operator: Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)
Carbody Material: Stainless steel
Length Over Couplers: 23,190 mm (A car)
"""""""""""""""""""": 22,860 mm (B & C car)
Width Over Side Sheets: 2,620 mm
Maximum Design Speed: 88 km/h
Seated Passengers: 229 (A car)
""""""""""""""""": 319 (B & C car)

Back