News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I wonder if the TTC is going to go for the best suited tram for Toronto or the cheapest bid?
Just looking back at the cheapest bid of accordian buses from some eastern european country that the TTC purchased years ago, these buses had an early life due to many cracks on the chassis and high maintenance fees.

Last edited:
I wonder if the TTC is going to go for the best suited tram for Toronto or the cheapest bid?
Just looking back at the cheapest bid of accordian buses from some eastern european country that the TTC purchased years ago, these buses had an early life due to many cracks on the chassis and high maintenance fees.
Given the revised process lengthy all-party technical discussions *before* requesting quotes, I would think that all of the vendors will be submitting vehicle designs that will be roughly identical in terms of suitability.

Bombardier unveils Indian-built metro (subway) car

Bombardier unveils Indian-built metro (subway) car

From Railway Gazette:

tn_in-delhi-metro-first-india-car-bombardier.jpg

INDIA: The Chief Minister of Gujarat and the Managing Director of Delhi Metro Rail Corp were among the 250 guests who celebrated the roll out of the first Movia metro car to be built in India on June 5. Bombardier Transportation has invested €33m constructing a factory at Savli in the Vadodara district of Gujarat. It was inaugurated last November, and Bombardier says it is the first such plant in India to be wholly-owned by a global foreign company. It is based on the Görlitz plant in eastern Germany, and has modern facilities including robotic spot-welding. 'Bombardier Transportation has done commendable work by rolling out its first train from India within eight months after the establishment of its factory here', said Dr E Sreedharan, Managing Director of DMRC. 'Bombardier's Savli factory is a big step in achieving self-reliance and indigenisation of metro coaches in the country.' Bombardier has received orders for a total of 3 550 Movia cars worldwide, including 424 for the second phase of the Delhi metro. The first 36 of the Delhi cars are being built in Germany, the rest at Savli. 'Today, the Movia becomes an Indian vehicle, ready to serve the Indian market and those in the surrounding area', said Stephane Rambaud Measson, President of the Passengers Division at Bombardier Transportation. 'Following the success of the Delhi Metro Phase 2 Project, Bombardier is actively pursuing other metro projects in this region, and the Savli site will serve these future orders as well.

Here's a picture I found of the front of the Toronto car.

Does anyone know when delivery is supposed to be? It says "late 2009" that seems to be soon.

Bombardier_Toronto_Rocket_train_front.jpg

I believe the first cars are going to appear in the fall on the YUS. Driverless operation on the YUS is like 2016 or something, I dunno.

But is that picture the actual subway car? These things look like they're going to be awesome!

The staff at the Doors Open Greenwood event said delivery of the first test train was pushed back to September, so they probably wouldn't be in revenue service til early next year.

But is that picture the actual subway car? These things look like they're going to be awesome!

Yes. I've also ridden the Movias in Shenzhen (built in Changchun by a joint-venture) and Hong Kong. Toronto is getting the basic same thing (there are always differences, like width, length and features).

Yes. I've also ridden the Movias in Shenzhen (built in Changchun by a joint-venture) and Hong Kong. Toronto is getting the basic same thing (there are always differences, like width, length and features).

Drivetrain and controls will probably be similar. But Toronto's will be wider, at 3.2 meters in width. Unless i'm wrong Shenzhen have A trains, which are 3 meters.

But I say it's about time that North America adpoted these types of trains. The current configurations in Toronto are a hugely waste of money. Really no point to have operator cabs in every single car if they're going to be permanently locked in trains. Now what's more of a waste of money will be if the T1s we currently have are able to be freely configured into trains of different length, which I hope it's not. Because that's a fuction that Toronto would have used at most twice, one of them being testing.

Last edited:
I still think that the Toronto version looks much better. The front is more slanted, and the headlights look fierce =). They keep on claiming they're coming in 2009, but yeah, that will more likely be next year.

Last edited:

Hong Kong's MTR has no Movias (yet - they have ordered some from Bombardier/Changchun Car Company). However the K-Stock trains produced by Korea's ROTEM bear striking similarities to the new Toronto trains, down to the red anti-microbial strips to be applied to the poles.

omg it's really beautiful.. like a sports car of subway trains.. gorgeous~ Can't wait~ aaaaaa :p

I could be mistaken but they seem to be measuring Spadina station on the Bloor-Danforth line for the new subway cars. There's chalk outlines in the center where the support colums are and papers tape to the wall saying "Car A (23,190 mm)" i cant remember the exact measurement, but it was written like that.

Back