102     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Steve Munro did a post on this a while ago

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=816

According to him they have ordered 60 trains to replace the H cars, but the TTC will need more in order to get the significant increases in capacity they have promised.

Oh, there is more than one set. I only knew about the first 234 cars. Perhaps the others are options which have not received funding yet?

No insult

And I guess what I posted was just another runaway rumour? I don't mean to start anything, but I find the above statement just a little bit offensive to someone who is trying to provide information as well.

There was no reference to your post. Thanks to Swarley and Enviro for their correct surmises.

It was a gentle shot as some others, but overwhelmingly a compliment to DRUM whose scope of knowledge in the transit field is remarkable.

Oh, there is more than one set. I only knew about the first 234 cars. Perhaps the others are options which have not received funding yet?

That's what I'm wondering too. Also, if there's more than one set, why is Steve getting his knickers in a knot? Couldn't subsequent orders be increased to sort out capacity issues?

There was no reference to your post. Thanks to Swarley and Enviro for their correct surmises.

It was a gentle shot as some others, but overwhelmingly a compliment to DRUM whose scope of knowledge in the transit field is remarkable.

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Somewhat related to the new cars which I don't believe has been mentioned:

An unnamed company has expressed interest in purchasing the H5 and H6 stock for a new transit system. Nothing definate yet, but just interest.

An unnamed company has expressed interest in purchasing the H5 and H6 stock for a new transit system. Nothing definate yet, but just interest.
New transit system? We should give Ottawa a discount to try to entice them to get rid of those silly talents and make a route that actually goes through downtown :D

Odds are they're either going overseas like the PCCs did or they're going to the bottom of some lake or bay as an artificial reef.

Surely they'd need to be re-gauged if they were being sent somewhere else? That is, unless the Nairobi Metro is really keen on interoperability with Transit City?

The Talents in Ottawa are far from silly. They resulted in a five-mile, interim rapid transit route in no time flat for the cost of one mile of LRT. Ottawa does have a plan for a route through downtown which will cost about half what the Eglinton route will, and carry twice as many riders.

It only seems to be known that there is interest in the H5 and H6 stock. I don't think anymore details will be known until this is a finalized deal. If it's a new system they will be for, perhaps they will build with TTC's gauge.

The Halton County Radial Railway already has a couple that were originally built in 1961 (5300-5301), as well as a couple of originals from 1953 (5098-5099).

Maybe a couple of the old H5 or H6 maybe sent there. No re-gauging required, however, conversion to overhead wire operation would be required.
subway-5504-03.gif

A. Badaraco said:
It only seems to be known that there is interest in the H5 and H6 stock. I don't think anymore details will be known until this is a finalized deal. If it's a new system they will be for, perhaps they will build with TTC's gauge.
I would be really sad if a city built a new transit line to TTC gauge just because they were buying our old subways. It's really not that hard at all to change the wheel gauge.

CapitalSeven said:
The Talents in Ottawa are far from silly. They resulted in a five-mile, interim rapid transit route in no time flat for the cost of one mile of LRT. Ottawa does have a plan for a route through downtown which will cost about half what the Eglinton route will, and carry twice as many riders.
I don't see why subway wouldn't work in Ottawa. Actually, I think it could work very well. Also, building a subway line would leave the O-Train to become more of a regional route that could go to Gatineau and the Airport, instead of becoming the metro.

Last edited:
I passed by the Bombardier plant, and snapped a few photos of the new subway cars. Unfortunately there still under tarps, I'm assuming to avoid any graffiti or what not.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

If it's a new system they will be for, perhaps they will build with TTC's gauge.
Or perhaps they will simply spend a few minutes fixing the gauge for whatever the system it's going too. Seems really minor compared to the overhaul they'd do for start-up.

TTC ordered 39 trains. 49 Trains are currently scheduled for Yonge and you can assume some spares will be required for breakdowns, etc.

So, we have NOT ordered enough to replace all T1s on YUS.

Decreasing headway via ATC requires significantly more trains than we currently run today. (More trains, same track). Assume 1/3rd increase + spares + new sets for extensions.

ATC is more likely to give us the same number of trains as today but with the addition of the 7th car. I.e. we use it for stopping.

This would allow for mixed sets. Adding ATC to the T1s would be pretty trivial (compared to rewiring the tunnels/computer systems/dispatch) too.

With the first 234 cars displacing H4 and H5 cars, does that mean there'll still be H6 trains on YUS?

Back