News   Jul 15, 2024
 127     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Or perhaps they will simply spend a few minutes fixing the gauge for whatever the system it's going too. Seems really minor compared to the overhaul they'd do for start-up.

I would be really sad if a city built a new transit line to TTC gauge just because they were buying our old subways. It's really not that hard at all to change the wheel gauge.
Thanks to both for the correction. I wasn't sure about the work involved.

With the first 234 cars displacing H4 and H5 cars, does that mean there'll still be H6 trains on YUS?

When the new trains arrive, the H6 stock will remain on the Bloor-Danforth Line where they are running now.

I would be really sad if a city built a new transit line to TTC gauge just because they were buying our old subways. It's really not that hard at all to change the wheel gauge.

Why would it be sad? If it's so easy to modify gauge, then the choice of gauge would be inconsequential. (unless this city already existing metro lines, that is).

H4s, H5s, H6s etc.

Most of the H4s are already gone.

These are the last cars with the bench style seats, orange and beige, with faux wood and no A/C.

You see them once and a while, I'm not sure how many sets they have left, but I'd be very surprised if it was more than 8 (48 cars).

Everything else is H5 and H6 (both have AC)

H5: originally orange and brown seats, (now recovered in the same red as T-series)

H6: originally a lighter orange and beige seats ( now recovered in red)

You can still tell the 2 apart, other than by number, by the colour of the paint job on the inside of the doors

Someone will correct if I'm wrong, but I understood the new Rocket cars were designed to eliminate the H4s, H5s, H6s from service. As they specifically said when they announced the purchase that EVERY train would be accessible (wide doors and wheelchair lock-ups)

I imagine a couple might be saved as spares.

H5's are numbered 5670-5807, for a total 138
H6's are numbered 5810-5935, for a total 126

That's a total of 264, minus what ever has been lost due to Russel Hill or any other accidents/unusual early damage

So 234 would replace the vast majority (depending on how many H4s are actually left)

^^ Though it's worth remembering that the new automated trains will be running at almost twice the frequency. Therefore, almost twice the amount of trains will be needed for the YUS, probably twice once you account in the Spadina and Yonge extensions. I think this order is just for the YUS, and wouldn't be able to accommodate the B-D.

I would hope that they updated all the trains though. I don't think it makes much sense for the YUS to have sleek, shiny new cars while B-D and Sheppard have hand-me-downs.

Also is the disappointment of not even seeing any new lines in those calculations. If Eglinton and the DRL were built and Sheppard was extended, they'd probably want to save the H5 and H6's to get those lines running quickly. Eventually, the H5 and H6's would get phased out entirely, but having them to get running quickly would be convenient.

So I guess T1s will be augmenting the 234 TRs?
It looks that way. As some have pointed out the 234 TR stock wouldn't be enough to cover what is needed on the YUS line.

Someone will correct if I'm wrong, but I understood the new Rocket cars were designed to eliminate the H4s, H5s, H6s from service. As they specifically said when they announced the purchase that EVERY train would be accessible (wide doors and wheelchair lock-ups)

I imagine a couple might be saved as spares.

H5's are numbered 5670-5807, for a total 138
H6's are numbered 5810-5935, for a total 126

That's a total of 264, minus what ever has been lost due to Russel Hill or any other accidents/unusual early damage

So 234 would replace the vast majority (depending on how many H4s are actually left)
Some (maybe all) of the H6 stock received an overhaul and wheelchair spaces, so I imagine they will still be around.

Last edited:
(depending on how many H4s are actually left)
44 according the most recent service summary.

Seems bizarre to be replacing H6's ... some are only 20-years old. Given most systems keep cars going for 40-50 years, seems rather early to be getting rid of them. With 180 H4's and H5's to replace, surely the remaining 54 cars (9 trains) will merely provide enough sets for the Spadina extension.

^^ Unless the Spadina extension is a totally new line, it'll have to run on the new Cars/trains, won't it? If the plan is to get the YUS automated by 2016 or whatever, it won't work having non-automateable trains running on a portion of the route. I think the current cars they're getting will be just, just enough for the Yonge and Spadina extensions.

So the main question..

When are the new trains coming onto the system...

So from the capital budget just released, it appears the H6 cars will actually be retired by the end of 2012 - TTC added on 126 cars to the initial 234 car order of TRs. Apparently this is more cost effective than extending their life... but I think this is predicated on the supposed much improved reliability of the new cars.

Source: http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...Supplementary_Reports/2010_Capital_Budget.pdf page 30

About time - with the H6 gone the entire system will have wide door subway cars only, which is going to be great for rush hour boarding.

AoD

I think its a sensible idea to have the H6's retired; but the real reason, it should pointed out is that the T1s are not set up for ATC.

When Y-U-S goes all ATC in 2015 or so; the would have to refit the ATC technology onto the existing rolling stock, as there were not enough 'Rocket Cars' ordered to fill Y-U-S demand.

Quite rightly someone asked if the amount of money was going to be worth it.

Also

The TTC is on a binge of trying to cut down on specialized repairs bays, tool sets, and spare parts for all classes of rolling stock.

You will note this for streetcars (reason for accelerated ALRV retirement) and for buses (retirement list in the capital budget).

This move will essentially reduce subway rolling stock to 2 classes, T-series and Rocket Cars.

Offical word is that the first new trains should be arriving THIS MONTH (october). nearing the half-way point in the month.. let's all keep our eyes peeled! I've been passing greenwood and wilson regularly, but I haven't seen anything yet.. I'm super excited!!

I expect delivery will be taken at greenwood, as the delivery will almost certainly be by train, and greenwood is where these deliveries happen..

I wonder if even before they enter service, they might park a train at davisville at the extra platform for a public 'open house' so-to-speak...

Back