News   Jul 15, 2024
 282     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 429     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

[video=youtube_share;kBZzofmxqbU]http://youtu.be/kBZzofmxqbU[/video]

I was really excited when I heard these door chimes I few months ago. I don't understand why the TTC didn't continue to use them. They were far better than the two other implementations. The chime sound was less annoying than the chimes they use now (I describe the current implementation as a "piercing" sound, if that makes any sense) and playing the chime while the announcements play is a smart thing to do.

Last edited:
Don't even get me started on the TR announcements. I think they sound awful - too computerized. I don't understand why they couldn't have hired a voice actor to do each one like in London on NYC. There aren't THAT many stations that it would take too long to record them. I don't understand the laziness now when they had those women record every single bus and streetcar stop years back.

They already have voice recordings for all the stops, they are used on the other subway trains. Beyond me why they did not just stick with what they already use.

Hmm. I distinctly recall the message playing after the doors have closed completely on my first few rides and being very confused about it as it seemed like a "get on the train now" type of message; worked out the above scenario due to that. It wouldn't be the first time my memory was wrong though.

"Doors are closing" would be a shorter message for an indication that the doors are closing and is used in a few different cities.

It's a bit like asking the author of a book "did you mean <really long thing> when you said the curtains where blue?". No, they meant the curtains were blue. I doubt an abundance of thought went into the message that is played.
[video=youtube_share;m18Qhy1EdLk]http://youtu.be/m18Qhy1EdLk[/video]

Take a look at 1:58. The doors don't begin closing until after the message has played.

They already have voice recordings for all the stops, they are used on the other subway trains. Beyond me why they did not just stick with what they already use.

It's probably for the best. If they didn't I guarantee you that the announcements for the Bloor-Danforth east of Kennedy, Spadina Subway north of Downsview, Yonge Subway north of Finch, Relief Line, Eglinton Crosstown, Finch West LRT and Sheppard East LRT would have mismatched voice actors.

This is what the top looks like:

QxxL5bd.jpg

MARK: Interesting roof picture of the TR cars...The fluted area of the roof reminds me of the LIRR/MNCR Bombardier-built M7 MU fleet...
They both also have the "arrow notches" on their roofs along with easily accessible air conditioning units and fans...

I am not a fan of the TR design - especially those front ends...The boxy outsides take getting used to - I feel that they would have looked
better with fluting of their stainless steel but I do like the interiors - the red and gray colors look good - and with these cars being articulated
the "continuous" interiors make them very interesting...

I would have liked to see the TTC look into a car design like the Washington Metro's new 7000 Series cars...They are also stainless steel (a first
for Metro) and have nicely designed interiors...I like their front ends but I feel that it needs something better then black to be more visible...

For more information see: www.schuminweb.com/2014/01/12/the-future-is-riding-on-metro/

LI MIKE

MARK: Interesting roof picture of the TR cars...The fluted area of the roof reminds me of the LIRR/MNCR Bombardier-built M7 MU fleet...
They both also have the "arrow notches" on their roofs along with easily accessible air conditioning units and fans...

I am not a fan of the TR design - especially those front ends...The boxy outsides take getting used to - I feel that they would have looked
better with fluting of their stainless steel but I do like the interiors - the red and gray colors look good - and with these cars being articulated
the "continuous" interiors make them very interesting...

I would have liked to see the TTC look into a car design like the Washington Metro's new 7000 Series cars...They are also stainless steel (a first
for Metro) and have nicely designed interiors...I like their front ends but I feel that it needs something better then black to be more visible...

For more information see: www.schuminweb.com/2014/01/12/the-future-is-riding-on-metro/

LI MIKE

I don't know if you've seen the TRs (in person) yet but the front ends are really more angled than boxy, like a high-speed train might have.

The continuous interior is really handy if you previously needed to get on an H6 at a certain car in order to be lined up with a particular platform exit - now you can just get on anywhere and walk to that point. For example, when I board a southbound Yonge line, being at the back means I get to be right at the stairs to change lines at St George.

WMATA's 7000 series actually seems boxier (more squared-off) at the front, judging by those photos. I like the interiors - I'm guessing they won't be carpeted like the existing Metro vehicles (seems nice, but impractical).

Don't even get me started on the TR announcements. I think they sound awful - too computerized. I don't understand why they couldn't have hired a voice actor to do each one like in London on NYC. There aren't THAT many stations that it would take too long to record them. I don't understand the laziness now when they had those women record every single bus and streetcar stop years back.

TTC is nothing...you want robotic, try viva/yrt and experience Crystal's binary voice....especially in the vivanext stretch where before every stretch she makes the same speech about safety. at least the timing is correct so that passengers hear everything before it stops, unlike most TRs where the announcement on door safety is made as the doors are almost finished closing.......

I spotted a door failure on one of our TRs the other day.

[video=youtube;vzFob7pq-Lg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzFob7pq-Lg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I was traveling southbound on the University Subway. The door opened normally when we arrived at Union Station. I'm not sure if it functioned normally after then. The next centre platform station was Eglinton and I wasn't travelling that far.

LOL I like how the first guy just gave up, but the 2nd person decided to just pull it open.

There were a few who did it.

One of the men sitting beside me sitting across from me was obviously quite excited to get his opportunity to have a go at the door. He was smiling at the doors the whole trip. When he got off the train he gave the it a confident push open :rolleyes:

Who really cares whether an announcement is done by a computer or a pre-recorded human? The same message is still conveyed clearly.

When are they implementing the improvements such as bars under the air conditioner, and chime speaker on the outside. I rode on it a few times.

Back