News   Jul 15, 2024
 102     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

When are they implementing the improvements such as bars under the air conditioner, and chime speaker on the outside. I rode on it a few times.

Under the ODA, all vehicles must have outside announcement advising rider the route number and direction it going to.

Can't speak for all the systems, but Burlington was the first to adopt this and Mississauga was done by the end of 2013. Every time the front door opens, the announcement is made.

I noticed on the Burlington buses, French is used as the rear doors open.

TTC has a plan in place and will be rolling buses out over time with new speakers at the doors. Both the new Streetcars and subway cars are coming with these speakers already built in. The system will be tie into the system for changing routes and directions.

Under the ODA, all vehicles must have outside announcement advising rider the route number and direction it going to.

Can't speak for all the systems, but Burlington was the first to adopt this and Mississauga was done by the end of 2013. Every time the front door opens, the announcement is made.

I noticed on the Burlington buses, French is used as the rear doors open.

TTC has a plan in place and will be rolling buses out over time with new speakers at the doors. Both the new Streetcars and subway cars are coming with these speakers already built in. The system will be tie into the system for changing routes and directions.

Miway wasn't done by the end of 2013. I use MiWay everyday, and I only started hearing announcements last month.

Not all buses are equipped yet either. 0522 on the 8 had no external announcements today.

Last edited:
I spotted a door failure on one of our TRs the other day.

[video=youtube;vzFob7pq-Lg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzFob7pq-Lg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I was traveling southbound on the University Subway. The door opened normally when we arrived at Union Station. I'm not sure if it functioned normally after then. The next centre platform station was Eglinton and I wasn't travelling that far.

I saw a different Toronto Rocket with the exact same problem at St. George Station last night. Earlier in the evening I was on another TR with a red tarp put over one of the doors. Presumably these doors were also experiencing mechanical issues. There's a small chance that this and the train I saw earlier in the evening may be the same transit, though I do not know why the TTC would remove the tarp if the doors still weren't working.

I'm hoping that I'm just running into these door troubles by chance and that this isn't the start of widespread mechanical issues with these doors.

I saw a different Toronto Rocket with the exact same problem at St. George Station last night. Earlier in the evening I was on another TR with a red tarp put over one of the doors. Presumably these doors were also experiencing mechanical issues. There's a small chance that this and the train I saw earlier in the evening may be the same transit, though I do not know why the TTC would remove the tarp if the doors still weren't working.

I'm hoping that I'm just running into these door troubles by chance and that this isn't the start of widespread mechanical issues with these doors.

Maybe you need to stop egging the trains, it messes with the door sensors :)

Last week Friday, when I was commuting on the BD, I was lucky enough to egg two H-series trains.

Maybe you need to stop egging the trains, it messes with the door sensors :)

Shh... that stays between us and the rest of UT.

Speaking of the door sensors, those things are very sensitive. I've seen a thick piece of paper (looked like a business card) stuck on the door tracks stop the doors from closing. A passenger had to remove the card for the door to close.

On the subway trains, when the crew knows about a problem with the doors, they put up a barrier. There are other doors available for the passengers to use (unless they are very stubborn and demand to still use that door).

[video=youtube_share;vzFob7pq-Lg]http://youtu.be/vzFob7pq-Lg[/video]

Since we are to be able to use all four doors (two wide and two narrow) of the new streetcars to enter and egress, the operator could use a barrier to block a malfunctioning door of the streetcar. The passengers (in theory) could use the other doors and still keep the streetcar in service until a mechanic can get to it and fix it. Has anyone seen that happen in other jurisdictions of the world?

I still never see the fix they were experimenting with where they add bars to hold onto below the air conditioners.

I'm rather glad that that particular setup hasn't been too widely implemented. As a tall person riding the trains with those always forced me to duck to fit underneath them :p

Back