News   Jul 16, 2024
 158     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 305     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Yeah the lamp posts are nasty. But this is Toronto remember? the poorest city on earth. We cant afford to fix those lights the city will go bankrupt.

Ganjavih, I think you may be the only one that cares dundas looks like crap so close to our main drag. And what a sad statement that is.

I agree with Ed. Bay and Dundas never looked this busy. As far as the state of the street is concerned I think it's only a matter of time before some rejuvenation project is launched to freshen things up a bit.

The rust on the lamposts looks awful - but I like the traditional TO curving arm.

Another thing that's characteristic about TO is that the traffic lights do not hang over the middle of the street - they are only placed to the sides.

I hate the way we keep sterilizing all of the life out of our streetscapes. I actually really like that stretch of Dundas. I like that the street poles are all rusty and askew, I like the wild tangle of wires, and I like the overload of signs. I know it isn't 'pretty', but it does seem very organic and alive to me.

Burgher,

I don't know. Banning postering could be cited as an example of sterilization but rusty bent light-posts are kind of just undesirable. They give the streetscape a type of character but so would a bunch of burned out old cars strewn across the streetscape.

I'm with ganjavih on this one, the rusting lamp posts are simply crap-looking. Just do a quick comparison between Dundas to Yonge, and one can see the difference between overhead wires and transformers, and none.

I agree that the old metal TTC poles have to go, and I would be very happy with nicer black poles holding up streetlamps and the streetcar wires. Spadina sure looks good despite the overhead wires for the streetcars. Look at the Junction - looks great.

That said, I will miss the wooden poles with the 1900s looking crossbeams and wire tangles. Doesn't mean I think they should go too, in most cases at least.

I'm with ganjavih on this one, the rusting lamp posts are simply crap-looking. Just do a quick comparison between Dundas to Yonge, and one can see the difference between overhead wires and transformers, and none.

If memory serves, downtown Yonge doesn't have street lamp posts. Street lights are mounted on the sides of buildings around the 2nd floor

That said, I will miss the wooden poles with the 1900s looking crossbeams and wire tangles. Doesn't mean I think they should go too, in most cases at least.

If one were able to remove the contemporary vehicles, there are parts of Bathurst that look so 1940's, or so.

One City Hall sure is a beauty. Goes to show that pre-cast does not necessarily mean crap. By the way, the most attractive side of the building is at the back facing City Hall. They use copper or something resembling copper. Also, have a look at the loading dock. The Opera House could have learned a thing or two from this building.

The Opera House building seems like the designers/builders whatever gave up half way on the thing. It looks good on 1 side out of 4. The other 3 sides are garbage and loading dock is a f#$king disaster.

I'm loving One City Hall too!!. Its sooo much better than the rendering.

"I hate the way we keep sterilizing all of the life out of our streetscapes. I actually really like that stretch of Dundas. I like that the street poles are all rusty and askew, I like the wild tangle of wires, and I like the overload of signs. I know it isn't 'pretty', but it does seem very organic and alive to me."

I guess 'beauty' is in the eye of the beholder. Still, there is plenty of 'organic' Toronto to enjoy, so it would be nice to see at least the major arteries of the downtown core spruced up a bit, leaving the local organic character to the nabes.

I still like that green curtain wall next door to 1CH. Chargex sign and all

They were puting the Venting Ducts on the "outside" of Metropolis late last nite.

Back