News   Jul 15, 2024
 759     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 914     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 637     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
The Christmas tree in the square looks really good this year.

^ I agree. It's nice that they're distinguishing themselves from the Nathan Philips Square Christmas tree.

I think eventually, when YDS comes into it's own (it's getting there), we'll see some more original ideas and more usage of the square during the winter. Here's hoping that they clear the entire square of snow this year (not just cut paths through it).

The Bay put up some x-mas lights tonight that look like advertising signs. They cover the 4th and 5th floors and face Yonge with some wrapped along Richmond and Queen. Looks pretty good.

Dundas Square (street) should be closed down permanently. However, although the alley that faces on to it has access from Shuter street behind Pantages, it's a one way alley and has to have an end where delivery vehicles can exit.

That's a cool idea.... close Dundas from Bay to Church, widening the sidewalks out so that only the streetcars can get through there. Perhaps widen the sidewalks on Yonge to cut it down to two lanes in the area too...

Use the extra sidewalk space for trees, patios, places for vendors, and you'll have an even better public square!

JOeyCuppa, I don't think you're getting the idea we're talking about and the idea of the square itself.

We're talking about the small street just south of the square, that goes along the Hard Rock Café.

Also, Yonge + Dundas is one of the busiest intersections in Toronto and the square is taking advantage of that. Lots of pedestrian and vehicular traffic creates the buzz that's the key to YD Square's existence.

Although Dundas itself is not particularly heavy trafficed, part of the reason pulling people into the square is more difficult then say the former triangle of side-walk on the South-West corner of the intersection which is a more natural gathering space.

The shed over the parking lot, will that be the movie theatre and lecture halls? Either way this thing is ridiculously huge. It seems massive in size even though the Atirium accross the street is bigger, however its presence is just not the same as this.

3 Malls at one intersection, that must be some kind of world record or something. (depending on what your definition of a Mall "is")

caltrane - I think you'd be hard pressed to define a world record for this intersection, let alone what a 'mall' is. Sure it's an intensely commercial area, but you would find a number of spots in big cities world-wide that would have comparable sites, some in downtowns, some in suburban areas.

I say assign each of the 1213 current registered members of this forum one city to research for commercial concentrations, and then report back here by Dec 31 or get booted from UT.

I'll take Charlottetown, PE.

After extensively researching the commercial concentrations of Charlottetown, including the surrounding suburbs of Cornwall, Stratford and the relatively recently annexed East Royalty, I can report that there are no sites in the Prince Edward Island capital region that rival the Eaton Centre/Atrium on Bay/Metropolis complex for gross floor area, number of businesses, rapid transit access, or total annual visits.

Wow, took all of 5 minutes to search that eh. Don't strain yourself too much now.

I just checked Sudbury, ON.

Just one crappy mall downtown (, a big-box centre to the east, a larger mall surrounded by big boxes to the northeast, and another crappy mall to the south (Southridge).

Seriously, I think Montreal still gives us healthy competition even with Eaton Centre/Metropolis/Atrium, with Simon's/Place Montreal Trust, Ailes/Centre Eaton, Cours Mont-Royal, Place de la Cathedrale/La Baie and Place Ville-Marie shopping all next to each other and connected by tunnels and all open evenings and weekends.

And no Sears.

PATH is as big as any mall in the country and its connected. Montreal doesn't stand a chance.

"I think Montreal still gives us healthy competition even with Eaton Centre/Metropolis/Atrium, with Simon's/Place Montreal Trust, Ailes/Centre Eaton, Cours Mont-Royal, Place de la Cathedrale/La Baie and Place Ville-Marie shopping all next to each other and connected by tunnels and all open evenings and weekends."

Agreed- some would say it is a superior underground network when it comes to downtown shopping. Montreal's is very extensive, very accessible and, as mentioned, open all day every day.

PATH is bigger and more extensive and all conencts to each other (compared to the gaps in the RESO network). But PATH often feels like walking through a Flintstones cartoon with the repeating background - Grand and Toy, Starbucks, Shoppers Drug Mart, repeat.

But the complexes I mentioned are all attached to each other, are multi-level and have a wide variety of shops. It is an amazing retail concentration.

Back