189     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

The Met + Encore at The Met (Edilcan, 43 + 33s, P+S) COMPLETE

April 4th Update

I don't think this has been documented.
If you walk through the drop-off area between the two towers, continue towards the town-homes and you'll be met by a charming walk-way through to Granby Street. It's a wonderful shortcut from Carlton to Granby Street.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

On the Granby Street side now, facing north

Directly east of The Met/Encore is a 5-storey office building at 27 Carlton St., probably built in the '60's. It was rather unremarkable and becoming something of an eyesore. The last six months has seen a facelift, which is nearly complete.

Last edited:
Most of the retail in the complex is still empty :(

All there is now is a TD.

West of The Met/Encore is a 5-storey office building at 27 Carlton St., probably built in the '60's. It was rather unremarkable and becoming something of an eyesore. The last six months has seen a facelift, which is nearly complete.

In a way, I prefer it "as-was", or more of a restoration than facelift approach, mostly because anonymous 50s/60s office buildings are coming into their own...

O/T for one sec., this is the only "before" photo I could find of 27 Carlton. It's not great but it gives a bit of an idea of what it used to look like.

27Carlton_2006.jpg

Just gave me an idea: What if Toronto developers were allowed to build over alley ways, as long as long passages like these with some retail were allowed? Think of all those alleys behind decrepit Yonge St for example, then imagine covered lanes with art and cafes.... The future under Mayor U_D.:)

To pick up on adma's point, it might have been better if they'd left this superficial facelift permanently frozen at the mid-way point of construction - with that half-finished cornice - a symbolic tribute to the futile attempts to "bury" practical Modernism with a succession of fashionable stylings.

Directly east of The Met/Encore is a 5-storey office building at 27 Carlton St., probably built in the '60's. It was rather unremarkable and becoming something of an eyesore. The last six months has seen a facelift, which is nearly complete.

Actually, it's complete. That's the way the cornice is supposed to look. I know. I don't get it either.

To pick up on adma's point, it might have been better if they'd left this superficial facelift permanently frozen at the mid-way point of construction - with that half-finished cornice - a symbolic tribute to the futile attempts to "bury" practical Modernism with a succession of fashionable stylings.
In fact, that's exactly what they've done. That half-finished cornice is actually finished half-finished.

Last edited:
In a way, I prefer it "as-was", or more of a restoration than facelift approach, mostly because anonymous 50s/60s office buildings are coming into their own...

Should not have tried to update this structure.

One of the things I like most about The Met and Encore is how the podium section is the exact same height as its neighbour. The two buildings played perfectly together because their styles and form came from dramatically different eras but were able to co-exist perfectly despite themselves.

Rooftop Lighting @ The Met

While enjoying the PRIDE festivities on Church Street on this pleasant evening ... I noticed the rooftop lighting feature atop the Met Condominiums (phase 1) ... approporiately located at the top of the round-shaped balconies fronting Carlton Street ... didn't realise this lighting was part of the plans ... I am certainly happy to see this detail

IMG_3954.jpg

Ultimately, leaving it at the midway point seems to evoke the fact that many postmodern architects were quite fine with practical Modernism, but also bored of the aesthetic.

As a side note... a Cora's is opening on the ground floor of this building in the very near future. No doubt it will be mobbed every weekend by hotel crowds. I suspect it will also mark the end of the nearby Golden Griddle, a space which could be used for a much better purpose.

How will this mark the end of the Golden Griddle? It's located two buildings east of The Met/Encore complex

Back