News   Jul 15, 2024
 129     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

The Met + Encore at The Met (Edilcan, 43 + 33s, P+S) COMPLETE

I've got to say, the street level on the south side of Carlton east of Yonge (Met,Encore,etc) is looking very attractive. And then you get to the Lexington - yikes, what an overpowering drab monster.

thread reopened ... woohoo ... thanks Ed007 for doing the honours !

Posts on the Buildings and Construction thread ...
a
Never realised until now the pretty lighting on the MET townhouses ...

September 10

2850161646_586f1e14f8_b.jpg

2850161656_ed195b6061_b.jpg

2850161662_6980043189_b.jpg

^I have to agree. Other than the terrace and the view, the finishes and overall feel of the hallway and unit was very mediocre. And it's hard to believe that this unit is a 3 bedroom unit. The bedrooms are laughable.

And another strange point:

This unit was supposed to be a 2 bedroom unit according to their website and original layout plan. Maybe the original buyer wanted to make it 3 bedrooms in the same square footage?

met4004.jpg

The exterior of the buildings are quite attractive and urban. However, the interior finishes to seem to be rather 'low-rent'. Quite surprising, considering that they are fairly recent builds. Torontonians are demanding a high level of quality these days, even for more modestly-priced units/projects.

The building on the corner of Carlton and Yonge is getting its window frames painted from the nice mint green/ copper look into a dark purple that mimics the MET towers next door. I am sorry, but what a mistake... the mint green coloured windows matched the building so well, and it looked just like a 90s Toronto equivalent of the MET complex. Now it looks terrible... :(

^^ That reno has been going on for many months, mostly on the southside. I think it is more than just a paint-job, but included new insolation. I actually think the black paint looks better than the previous colour but it is all personal judgement. Either way, this is one of the best corners in the city and the Met is a pretty stellar addition.

That little office building immediately East of Encore has also seen some renovations. I'm not sure what they're doing exactly, but it looks like the former Harvey's is getting quite a bit of attention right now.

The exterior of the buildings are quite attractive and urban. However, the interior finishes to seem to be rather 'low-rent'. Quite surprising, considering that they are fairly recent builds. Torontonians are demanding a high level of quality these days, even for more modestly-priced units/projects.

I couldn't agree more with the statment you made! Toronto has grown a love for condos and I would raise a familly in one (with the right unit) and I have grown really demanding of whats in the common areas and in the units I look at. I would say a high level of quality is more important then the archtecture to me!

I have a unit now that has nice finishes and the building has ok common areas. I have been shopping for a new unit and if I don't like what I see right away I tell my agent we need to leave.

Torontonians are demanding a high level of quality these days, even for more modestly-priced units/projects!!!!!!!!!

That little office building immediately East of Encore has also seen some renovations. I'm not sure what they're doing exactly, but it looks like the former Harvey's is getting quite a bit of attention right now.

Hope it isn't EIFSing up the facade...

As a resident of the first tower, I'd have to agree the interior hallway and elevator finishes are just OK, but at least the units themselves came standard with better finishes, and the amenities are well appointed. Love the look of the towers though; one of the reasons I chose a suite there.

from today's Star, part of an article on Public Art...do we have pics of the 40ft LED lit walkway?

edit: are those blue lights in the pic posted Sept 15 by Solaris the 'walkway'?

The Met Flow Blue

Unique. Spectacular. That's how developer G.P. Di Rocco describes the new artworks that enhance The Met, a condominium and townloft complex on Carlton St. and historical Granby St.

One of the installations, by artist Marlene Hilton Moore, involves an 40-foot, LED lit walkway that connects the condos at 21 Carlton with the Granby townlofts. Moore created a bas-relief of metal trees on the walls of the vaulted passage. The tree motif, inspired by the old trees on Granby, is repeated on decorative lazer-cut stainless steel fencing in front of the townlofts. Conceptual artist and lighting expert Adrian Göllner and Moore collaborated on the "moonglow" blue lighting that illuminates the portico-style walkway and the fence.

"Granby is a great street and we said let's do something that really benefits the neighbourhood," says Di Rocco, vice-president of Edilcan Development Corp. "Not only are the new portico and fences attractive, but the light increases safety at night."

Göllner also designed a light beacon for the circular top of one of the two condo towers (the west one, nearest Yonge St.) on Carlton. The Harbinger is outfitted with an anemometer that measures wind speed and the beacon changes colour depending on the velocity of the wind.

These dynamic pieces are the result of the City of Toronto's public art requirements.

Edilcan went to city hall asking for re-zoning (this condo project is on a former parking lot) and more density before building. In exchange, the developer pledged to provide art for the enjoyment of Torontonians.

In the end, Edilcan spent $880,000 on the three installations.

Last edited:
No, those pictures are showing the "decorative lazer-cut stainless steel fencing in front of the townlofts," which is also lit with blue LEDs from the sides. The walkway they're talking about is underneath the archway that connects Granby and Carlton, and it is kind of neat, but looks far better at night than it does during the day. The "trees" inside the walkway have been painted either blue or purple (pardon my colour blindness), and under the high-intensity blue LED lighting they have almost a ghostly sort of glow. If someone just sort of stumbled on the walkway unawares it would definitely leave an impression.

thx, whatever, I will have to check it out next time I am in the area...:)

Back