News   Apr 23, 2024
 287     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 871     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 488     0 

St Lawrence Market

That really is unfortunate. For the longest while I've been hoping that the Pizza Pizza building across from the Flatiron would be re-developed into something grander and more fitting to a mature urban environment. As it stands, I find that it looks awfully small-town and unsophisticated.

As a side note, I don't even know why Pizza Pizza is so popular. I honestly believe it to be the worst pizza I've ever had, but I guess you can't argue with success...

I was told by someone who worked there, that the old Pizza Pizza store, will become a new Pizza Pizza store. (just new owners) It seems Pizza Pizza is so popular, they need 2 of the restaurants in the same neighbourhood. (mostly delivery orders)
Ugh. Worst possible outcome. Well, maybe not worst, but bad.

The hoarding has come down on the LCBO store at Front & Market Streets. The sign says it will open in November. It looks pretty large inside.

The hoarding has come down on the LCBO store at Front & Market Streets. The sign says it will open in November. It looks pretty large inside.

Staff in the temporary location on Market say they think it will be open 'upstairs' by Monday 19th. It IS large as it is all of the former store plus the whole of the 2nd floor of the "new" building on Market Street (and their receiving etc remain downstairs in old building with new access from loading bay on The Esplanade.)

On Friday evening around 7pm, Jarvis was completely blocked off between Esplanade & Lakeshore. I figured it was related to the WATERFRONToronto work on the storm sewers, but later in the evening a bunch of trucks showed up with crane parts -- I'm assuming this is meant to be for work related to Market Wharf. The work began and continued all night - the noise was so loud (banging bolts into place with mallets, truck movements, etc) that it woke me up several times and I had to go find ear plugs. Now, this morning it turns out that there was a water main break beneath Jarvis around 6am, which forced them to stop the crane erection, and they're now in the process of moving away all of the crane parts, presumably to try another day. I'm assuming the water main break was due to the weight of the crane above, but that's purely speculation.

I have a few concerns about this whole thing:

- Who permitted 24 hour work to proceed, with obvious disruption to surrounding residents?
- Why was no notification posted on the street or in my building?
- Shouldn't they have known there was a water main beneath the crane and calculate the loads correctly?
- How long was this work scheduled to take, and how long will the street be blocked?

Did anyone else in the hood nearby see any notification of this? If this work was, indeed, for Market Wharf phase 2, then that's even less understandable, considering I'm in Market Wharf phase 1.

I'm also quite annoyed with WATERFRONToronto's recent handling of the storm sewer work, since this week they figured it would be perfectly fine to park a noisy generator running 24/7 underneath my bedroom window, and there was no notification of this, either. After contacting WT I was told this would be for three weeks.

It's entirely possible I was just out of the loop with all of this work. I've contacted 311, and will be contacting Pam McConnell's office and the SLNA to see if they had any information. And, to be clear, I have no problem with the work proceeding, but notification to affected residents is absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
According to the signs posted at the bus stops the street is to be closed for 48 hours to dismantle the crane on Market Wharf phase 2. No sign of any notice of the closure on the City 'road closures' website and if people in Market Wharf1 did not hear about it in advance I doubt anyone did. http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/road_info/pdf/toronto_road_restrictions.pdf
The watermain seems to have been repaired so I assume the crane dismantling will be proceeding soon.

The generator that is connected to the sewer work at Lower Jarvis and Wilton (for the dewatering) and it has been in this area for about 3 months and it was announced by WT when they started the work in that location. Of course they repeatedly said it would be there for 'three weeks' but these never seem to end. I talked to the guys last week and they say they hope to be finished in 'the next two weeks" but we shall see!

When will WT fix up the Esplande (i.e. all the brick / trees they ripped up) ! I emailed them twice now with no response ... seems like they're way behind the schedule.

When will WT fix up the Esplande (i.e. all the brick / trees they ripped up) ! I emailed them twice now with no response ... seems like they're way behind the schedule.

The restoration of The Esplanade was first supposed to occur in spring 2012 but WT ran into underground problems and was then supposed to be done in fall 2012 (right now) but Toronto Hydro were not prepared to do their rewiring for the streetlights so it is, again, postponed. The local BIA (who are putting $$ into the restoration to create better tree pits, better lights etc), the neighbourhood association (SLNA) and, of course the local merchants and residents are VERY fed up with all this. WT are completing (?) the work on the sewer project at Lower Jarvis and Wilton Streets and appear to have lost interest in communicating with residents (the 'construction liaison committee has not met for about 4 months) and it has recently been announced that the City are taking over the restoration from WT with the plan of starting it in late March 2013 (The bars want their patios open for St Patrick's Day). The plans - prepared by the City - are all settled (and it will, eventually look far better), the $$ are apparently there but until Hydro makes their holes and puts up the new lights there's not much point starting.

The restoration of The Esplanade was first supposed to occur in spring 2012 but WT ran into underground problems and was then supposed to be done in fall 2012 (right now) but Toronto Hydro were not prepared to do their rewiring for the streetlights so it is, again, postponed. The local BIA (who are putting $$ into the restoration to create better tree pits, better lights etc), the neighbourhood association (SLNA) and, of course the local merchants and residents are VERY fed up with all this. WT are completing (?) the work on the sewer project at Lower Jarvis and Wilton Streets and appear to have lost interest in communicating with residents (the 'construction liaison committee has not met for about 4 months) and it has recently been announced that the City are taking over the restoration from WT with the plan of starting it in late March 2013 (The bars want their patios open for St Patrick's Day). The plans - prepared by the City - are all settled (and it will, eventually look far better), the $$ are apparently there but until Hydro makes their holes and puts up the new lights there's not much point starting.

Thanks for that ! So late march we can *hopefully* expect this to start, that's great news at the very least.

Back