News   May 01, 2024
 276     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.5K     0 

St Lawrence Market

I referred to the existing pedestrian mall on Market Street. Unless I've completely mixed up the names of the streets, my understanding that this currently is the section of Market Street between King and Front, just to the west of the North Market and St. Lawrence Hall. If this isn't Market Street what street is it?

As DSC notes, that's Market Lane Park. We're referring to the development on Market Lane between Front and The Esplanade right next to the South Market.

During the winter that stretch seems desolate ... a rare piece of downtown where no one is around you when you walk down it. And judging from the snow heaped up in the middle of street, no one lingers.

What has happened in summers past?

Hopefully the new North Market will result in more action. I always thought this park could use an upgrade. Outside of some vendors on some days, there isn't that much appealing about it and I have often thought it could use a bit of cleaning. Lots of potential there.

As DSC notes, that's Market Lane Park. We're referring to the development on Market Lane between Front and The Esplanade right next to the South Market.
Yes, I'm aware that you are discussing the block between Front and Esplanade. Which is why I mentioned the existing pedestrian mall on the next block to the north, which really is very uninviting and underused (at least in the winter).

If this is what pedestrianizing roads gets us, I'll take the roads!

I don't see a thread for this, so I'll put it here. This is a video of the Old Fisherman's Market, across from St. Lawrence Market. It's be redeveloped into restaurants and stores.
[video]http://youtu.be/0ys8nj1vylM[/video]

St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association

The St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association, which represents residents of the area from Yonge Street to Parliament Street and Queen Street to the rail tracks, has a Development Committee. This Committee reviews all major development projects in our area and works with City planners and politicians, developers and the neighbourhood to improve projects. Some details of the Committee's activities and the Guidelines that are followed are at: http://www.slna.ca/slna-development.html More general information on the SLNA is at www.slna.ca

The SLNA would like to hear from people who might be interested in joining the Development Committee. If you live in the St Lawrence Neighbourhood area and if are interested in improving our City in general and our neighbourhood in particular you can contact president@slna.ca The Committee usually meets monthly, in the afternoon, and conducts additional business by e-mail.

Hmm ... only those that live in the area? What of those that work in the area.

Why not ask the President? It is a residents association but probably best to have a wide choice of expertise. As far as I know all current members of this Committee are residents.

Last edited:
Ah - that's interesting. The Corktown one next door is explicitly "residents and businesses". I'm surprised that this varies from area to area!

Ah - that's interesting. The Corktown one next door is explicitly "residents and businesses". I'm surprised that this varies from area to area!

The SLNA, which is about to celebrate its 30th anniversary, has a BIA (the St Lawrence Market BIA) in the area and I assume this is why there are two groups - who cooperate and talk quite often. There is no BIA in Corktown. The SLNA area has always been from Yonge to Parliament and Queen to the tracks while the BIA was formerly only in the area around the Market; they recently (2010) expanded to cover almost exactly the same area as the SLNA (only a block at Yonge and Queen is different as that is in the Downtown Yonge BIA. BIAs are far richer than neighbourhood associations as they can get City matching funds and their dues are collected through their property taxes. Details at: http://www.toronto.ca/bia/about.htm

Last edited:
At the September 2010 meeting of the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association the City Planner in charge of the area (Willie Macrae) made a presentation on many of the developments in the area (The Planning Process and an Update on King-Parliament Projects.) His slides are now accessible from the front page of www.slna.ca

So let's talk about Occupy Toronto.

For the past two weeks, I've noticed a ton of tents amassing at St. James Park, right outside the Financial District. While I support everyone's right to protest, does anyone else think it's becoming kind of a nuisance?

Don't get me wrong—I am sure there are lots of informed citizens in the group who have a concrete idea of what they want to reform. But for every person like this, there are also protesters who undermine the effort by scrawling stupid signs and acting confrontationally.

I mean, I can understand someone, say, wanting limits on the amount of funds lobbyists can give to government members, but what do you make of someone who simply wants to end "economic inequality?" Most people are going to accept this inequality as a fact of life, and the whole idea of the 1% has been parodied so much online that I'm starting to question whether it's changing any minds.

So many things are starting to undermine the message of the protesters. As one blogger put it, "I can envision the protesters on the street chanting, while the investment bankers, who work incredibly long hours look down upon the protesters like they are aliens from another planet, because they don’t value the almighty dollar." How exactly do you criticize a group of people who apply an obviously strong work ethic to make their money?

Anyway, I'm not saying I don't support the protest, but I wish it was more organized. Thoughts?

What do I make of someone who wants to end economic inequality? I think they are bold enough to look to a better future. There were many not long ago who thought it absurd to think of a world without racial inequality. You might think that investment bankers work long and hard hours, but does that mean that many of those outside that sanctified socio-economic stream should live in poverty or be homeless?

So let's talk about Occupy Toronto.

Is this thread really the right place for Occupy TO talk? While the camp happens to be located near the SLM it's not really about something that's specific to the area, and since the Occupy movement is contentious the actual neighbourhood-related discussions here could be overwhelmed by it.

Maybe this isn't the "right" thread either, but some of us have been posting related photos and opinions over on the "Occupy Toronto Market Exchange" photo thread: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18051-Occupy-Toronto-Market-Exchange?p=567145#post567145

Last edited:
Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1T9

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 301174 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Oct 28, 2011

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: Convenience address is 73A Front St E. PPR application to convert 2 existing restaurant under 30 seats to one restaurant greater than 30 seats and add new mezzanine. Jack Astors.

"Convenience address is 73A Front St E."
QUOTE androiduk

There goes Tim Horton's & Wendy's.

Regards,
J T

Back