News   Jul 12, 2024
 799     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 727     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 305     0 

St Lawrence Market

The Amish Furniture Store on Parliament at King is moving to the ex-kitchen equipment store on the south side of King Street just west of Sherbourne - probably a better location as it is in the heart of 'the furniture district".

"The Amish Furniture Store on Parliament at King is moving to the ex-kitchen equipment store on the south side of King Street just west of Sherbourne "
QUOTE DSC.

The parking lot to the west of the above, once contained two trees that Howard, a partner in The Underground Railroad Restaurant, and I planted

after a Dionne Warwick concert. The easterly tree was removed some years ago to allow for more convenient parking.

Regards,
J T

Hi all - the 8-80 Cities report on Berczy Park is now available: http://www.8-80cities.org/images/tools-community-reports-articles/berczy-park-report.pdf

Some interesting recommendations here, including pedestrianizing Scott St, introducing food options, and better programming for the space.

The report is excellent. We're lucking to have 8-80 Cities working on Berczy Park. They have an impressive understanding and appreciation for what works in terms of public space design. That they connect the design, programming, and maintenance of public spaces with the health and general well-being of city residents is not a complex idea, but it's brilliant and compelling. The shabby park with some trees and decaying benches doesn't encourage many people to get active or to go out and relax. If anyone opens the report finds it too long, it's worth just skimming it.

Last edited:
Everyone wants to get a "kick at the $$$$$$$ can".

Closing Front Street E - insane.

Closing Scott Street - insane.

Wellington Street E - two way - insane.

Just keep the park clean & tidy every day with a proper work crew, keep the dogs out, provide proper cover where the grassed areas are balding & erode onto

the sidewalks, and get rid of the panhandlers & freeloaders.

Happy Birthday!

Regards,
J T

(My fee will be forwarded at month's end.)

Actually I do agree with JT in this instance - I think the vision of the park is a bit too overprogrammed for my taste. Upgrading the hard and softscaping? Sure, but do we really need to turn it say into yet another park with yet another waterplay area?

AoD

In Hong Kong I've seen parks that have a full-time caretaker - the same person every day who is responsible for overseeing maintenance, and takes care of cleaning up litter, etc. Even for small parks that are no bigger than Berczy. Maybe they do this in all parks, and I'm not sure how this system works, but all of the parks I saw on the island and in Kowloon are in excellent condition.

A system like that for a park such as this would go a long way, however I'm sure there's no funding for this sort of maintenance program.

In Hong Kong I've seen parks that have a full-time caretaker - the same person every day who is responsible for overseeing maintenance, and takes care of cleaning up litter, etc. Even for small parks that are no bigger than Berczy. Maybe they do this in all parks, and I'm not sure how this system works, but all of the parks I saw on the island and in Kowloon are in excellent condition.

A system like that for a park such as this would go a long way, however I'm sure there's no funding for this sort of maintenance program.

Kew Gardens in the Beach actually has a "park-keeper's house" - not, of course, used as such now. I am not sure if other Toronto parks once had such arrangements but, useful though it would be, it is doubtless "gravy"!

"In Hong Kong I've seen parks that have a full-time caretaker - the same person every day who is responsible for overseeing maintenance, and takes care of cleaning up litter "
QUOTE: chriskayTO.

The area BIA has their own employee who waters the plants that hang from the light standards, though the addition of another to look after the park would not sit well with the City Unions.

Regards,
J T

We have few downtown parks, so why not do something special with Berczy Park like 8-80 Cities proposes? The status quo is a somewhat attractive but dull park that doesn't seem to encourage many activities from taking place there.

Back