News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

St Lawrence Market

But the construction hasn't harmed Neo, so far as I can see, and they were perched right on the edge of the hole for a year or two. I think the contrast with Neo reveals why Oliva didn't succeed. I visited Oliva a few times and wanted them to succeed but I was mostly disappointed. The coffee was average and I was always served in to-go cups, even when I was staying: I don't like drinking out of cardboard if I don't have to, and it feels wasteful and out of sync with the times.

The decor was high quality but strangely cold and sterile, with hard surfaces and oversized furniture that reminded me of a cafe at a train station. Finally, the food, which is what I though was going to be their niche, also wasn't very interesting: usually just a handful of sandwiches and wraps in a mostly empty fridge next to some soda and water bottles. There's a shortage of good non-chain lunch spots in the area so I feel like this opportunity was wasted. Someone needs to step in and become Toronto's Pret-a-Manger.

Coffee shops in walking-distance like Neo, Rooster, Black Canary, Arvo, Fahrenheit, Poet Cafe, St. Lawrence Cafe, and two Balzacs all have better coffee and a more welcoming atmosphere, in my opinion. And all of them are perpetually busy.
I really could not have put it better myself! The problem with Neo is that it is TOO popular (or too filled with people on tablets!). I have almost given up even trying to go there - though their food is WONDERFUL and the staff very pleasant.

But the construction hasn't harmed Neo, so far as I can see, and they were perched right on the edge of the hole for a year or two. I think the contrast with Neo reveals why Oliva didn't succeed. I visited Oliva a few times and wanted them to succeed but I was mostly disappointed. The coffee was average and I was always served in to-go cups, even when I was staying: I don't like drinking out of cardboard if I don't have to, and it feels wasteful and out of sync with the times.

The decor was high quality but strangely cold and sterile, with hard surfaces and oversized furniture that reminded me of a cafe at a train station. Finally, the food, which is what I though was going to be their niche, also wasn't very interesting: usually just a handful of sandwiches and wraps in a mostly empty fridge next to some soda and water bottles. There's a shortage of good non-chain lunch spots in the area so I feel like this opportunity was wasted. Someone needs to step in and become Toronto's Pret-a-Manger.

Coffee shops in walking-distance like Neo, Rooster, Black Canary, Arvo, Fahrenheit, Poet Cafe, St. Lawrence Cafe, and two Balzacs all have better coffee and a more welcoming atmosphere, in my opinion. And all of them are perpetually busy.
I really could not have put it better myself! The problem with Neo is that it is TOO popular (or too filled with people on tablets!). I have almost given up even trying to go there - though their food is WONDERFUL and the staff very pleasant.

Funny, I'm the same way! I used to go regularly now I only visit once in a while because I know that getting a table will be difficult, and even getting a drink to go will mean a wait. I'm happy for their success, very nice people and incredible quality. They have a second location at Bay and College but I've yet to visit.

Funny, I'm the same way! I used to go regularly now I only visit once in a while because I know that getting a table will be difficult, and even getting a drink to go will mean a wait. I'm happy for their success, very nice people and incredible quality. They have a second location at Bay and College but I've yet to visit.
The Neo @ Bay & College looks quite like the original one (same food and some of the same staff too) - I have only been twice and it was not quite as packed - though seems to be doing well so it won't be long before it too gets too crowded.

I strongly recommend Tandem Coffee if you find Neo too busy and you're willing to venture 10 minutes east into Corktown.

From the City:

In collaboration with our colleagues at Toronto Public Health and other City partners, the St. Lawrence Market is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) situation.

While further risk assessments regarding public gatherings is being undertaken, as advised by the Medical Officer of Heath, the Market has decided to exercise an abundance of caution and postpone the launch of the new Hours of Operation Pilot Project and all related activities and events. A change in hours will be deferred to a later date and launch events will be rescheduled.

At this time merchants should pause the distribution of marketing materials related to the hours of operation pilot project until further notice.

The St. Lawrence Market continues to operate businesses as usual and is open to the public for the current hours of operation.

From the City:

In collaboration with our colleagues at Toronto Public Health and other City partners, the St. Lawrence Market is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) situation.

While further risk assessments regarding public gatherings is being undertaken, as advised by the Medical Officer of Heath, the Market has decided to exercise an abundance of caution and postpone the launch of the new Hours of Operation Pilot Project and all related activities and events. A change in hours will be deferred to a later date and launch events will be rescheduled.

At this time merchants should pause the distribution of marketing materials related to the hours of operation pilot project until further notice.

The St. Lawrence Market continues to operate businesses as usual and is open to the public for the current hours of operation.

That makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever.

It would logically follow that longer hours will more evenly distribute customer load, particularly in the near-term (non-tourist season) and that longer hours therefore reduce risks associated with crowd density.

Sigh.

That makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever.

It would logically follow that longer hours will more evenly distribute customer load, particularly in the near-term (non-tourist season) and that longer hours therefore reduce risks associated with crowd density.

Sigh.

Only logical guess I have here is that they decided the job fair to hire people for the extended hour trial was not a good idea as it would be a a few hundred people in one place and so the vendors don't actually have enough people to staff the extra hours.

I was at the market just now. The farmers market in the tent was busy, with lots of sold out tables by the time I left, around 10:30. The main building is busy, but not any more than usual, with most retailers having decent stock still. Short line for the bagel stand.

Maybe the extended hours being cut back was intended to better test the pilot of longer hours in regular conditions. Maybe vendors were worried what traffic would be like.

I was at the market just now. The farmers market in the tent was busy, with lots of sold out tables by the time I left, around 10:30. The main building is busy, but not any more than usual, with most retailers having decent stock still. Short line for the bagel stand.

Maybe the extended hours being cut back was intended to better test the pilot of longer hours in regular conditions. Maybe vendors were worried what traffic would be like.
The reason for the postponement of the start of the extended hours was NOT because of the actual hours; it was because they had been planning "events" on Sunday 15th (tomorrow) that would have (they hoped) attracted extra people to Market and this would have gone against the Medical Officer of Health's ban on City events with more than 250 people. (That said, I really see no reason why the hours were not extended and any celebration rescheduled but we have managed without extended hours for 200+ years and can doubtless cope a few months more. BTW, from my observations (and what merchants told me) , the Market was very quiet at the end of last week.

I was there at 11:45 and the bagel lineup was back to normal (long). I guess it was all timing.

In the basement, the salsa chips were sold out and the bread sold out as per usual. They will probable sell out the bread on Sunday too. Let’s open next Sunday! Spread out the crowd. I sure hope the extended hours work for them.

Mercatto on Wellington:
We were the first table at 6pm. When we left at 7pm there were 3 other tables. Assuming only locals. The staff out numbered the customers. Great service and pizza!

I wonder how many locals were at the market.

Personally I am avoiding the market.

It is really the only place I can get an Eye Round Roast but I am avoiding all crowds wherever possible. I like St Lawrence but until this blows over I would prefer if they shut down temporarily. It is a great place to go normally but during a pandemic it is risky to keep open.

That's like asking grocery stores to shut down though; doesn't really make sense to me to shut it down. I could maybe see frowning on people buying food and sitting to eat there; but are they shutting down food courts in the malls?

That's like asking grocery stores to shut down though; doesn't really make sense to me to shut it down. I could maybe see frowning on people buying food and sitting to eat there; but are they shutting down food courts in the malls?

The problem is that St Lawrence is a tourist attraction. It's in all the tourist maps, hop on/off buses stop there, etc. People go there for more than just groceries.

The same can't be said for Metro or No Frills.

They could do what they have done in Italy, i.e. only allow a certain number of people in at a time. So effectively make it for grocery shopping rather than a tourist destination

Back