News   Apr 26, 2024
 446     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 

St Lawrence Market

Personally I am avoiding the market.

It is really the only place I can get an Eye Round Roast but I am avoiding all crowds wherever possible. I like St Lawrence but until this blows over I would prefer if they shut down temporarily. It is a great place to go normally but during a pandemic it is risky to keep open.
In the past week the regular grocery stores were FAR more crowded than the St Lawrence Market so I am not sure you are thinking this through. The fewer places selling food that remain open the more crowded those that are open will be.

Update on the heritage lighting of St James Cathedral: " Our lighting project should have been completed. Unfortunately it’s been a series of delays but we managed to install all the post lighting just before the imposed government restrictions .

We probably have a few weeks work left for project completion. Optimistically hoping we are done this summer."

Update on the heritage lighting of St James Cathedral: " Our lighting project should have been completed. Unfortunately it’s been a series of delays but we managed to install all the post lighting just before the imposed government restrictions .

We probably have a few weeks work left for project completion. Optimistically hoping we are done this summer."
They were working on the clock today to get the bells working again - it rang at noon, and then again at one, and then went silent again.

Must be coming up on five years now the retail space at the south-west corner of King and George has been vacant since Starbucks moved out. I wonder now if it will be boarded up for another five years. It seems ridiculous something so central and accessible to thousands of residents could be vacant for so long.

Must be coming up on five years now the retail space at the south-west corner of King and George has been vacant since Starbucks moved out. I wonder now if it will be boarded up for another five years. It seems ridiculous something so central and accessible to thousands of residents could be vacant for so long.
The (unknown) owner fixed the building up in the last few years (there had been a fire which was why Starbucks moved) and last year repaired/repainted exterior. CBRE have it listed for rent (large poster in window) but I suspect that if it has not rented before covid it will not do so now.

@DSC have you seen what's coming to Council...........?

Let me know if you see anything amiss is paragraph 2.............something could be going in the wrong direction............ahem.
Yes, I looked at this earlier today and I THINK they mean the north lane (not south) > I have advised the Councillor's Office

Transportation Services staff have advised that in order to implement the required Accessible Pedestrian Signals (APS) at the intersection and provide efficient movement of pedestrians, cyclists and motorists, that the south curb lane for westbound traffic which currently functions as a through/left turn lane needs to be designated as a left-turn only lane. I have contacted Wong-Tam's office and our BIA.

UPDATE: I have now looked again at the motion and the plan and now think the motion is correct. They are dealing with the westbound lanes of Front Street EAST of Church (@ Hot House). It is true that the south curb lane (next to the median) currently allows south-bound left turns and going straight through. The creation of a bump-out on Wellington at the Flatiron (west of Church) will mean traffic can no longer go straight through from that lane so their recommendation is correct. However, Wong-Tam's office are having Transportation check the motion so it will do what they and we all want. Of course, what is really needed is for them to actually start work on the re-building of Wellington!

Last edited:
Yes, I looked at this earlier today and I THINK they mean the north lane (not south) > I have advised the Councillor's Office

Transportation Services staff have advised that in order to implement the required Accessible Pedestrian Signals (APS) at the intersection and provide efficient movement of pedestrians, cyclists and motorists, that the south curb lane for westbound traffic which currently functions as a through/left turn lane needs to be designated as a left-turn only lane. I have contacted Wong-Tam's office and our BIA.

I've read this and the PDF and I can't see what is wrong with that.

EDIT: Oh I see the original comment referred to this
eastbound and westbound traffic diverge around the Flat Iron building with eastbound traffic continuing along Wellington Street and westbound traffic on Front Street.
That's backwards.

The curb lane reference on Front Street is correct because of the boulevard in the middle of the street. Both directions have two curb lanes each.

Last edited:

UPDATE: I have now looked again at the motion and the plan and now think the motion is correct. They are dealing with the westbound lanes of Front Street EAST of Church (@ Hot House). It is true that the south curb lane (next to the median) currently allows south-bound left turns and going straight through. The creation of a bump-out on Wellington at the Flatiron (west of Church) will mean traffic can no longer go straight through from that lane so their recommendation is correct. However, Wong-Tam's office are having Transportation check the motion so it will do what they and we all want. Of course, what is really needed is for them to actually start work on the re-building of Wellington!

@Jonny5 caught it...........if traffic is EB on Wellington @ Front........that would be a problem!

Reactions: DSC
The Second Cup at Front East & Church has closed:

A corporate owned store and it's not paying rent? The chain is probably heading for bankruptcy. I see the Second Cup stock price is down 50% from February, though even back then the whole chain was valued at only $40M dollars. Now it's valued under $20M and the trend is distinctly to zero.

Back