News   Mar 28, 2024
 621     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 899     0 

St Lawrence Market

David Crombie Park Revitalization Design - Kick-off Event
Tue Nov 20th 7:00pm - 8:30pm

North Tent (temporary Farmers Market), 125 The Esplanade, Toronto

Join us for a lively conversation on “Park + City Making”, exploring David Crombie Park’s past and future with lessons learned and opportunities for revitalization, moderated by author and former CBC broadcaster, Jane Farrow. The conversation, with a panel of three inspiring experts, will include questions and comments from the floor.

https://tockify.com/st.lawrence.na/detail/25/1542758400000

I've been wondering for many months why they changed the TTC/Taxi only black diamond centre lanes on King Street East from Sherbourne to Parliament from 7-9 AM/4-6 PM to 7-10 AM/3-7 PM without changing the parking restrictions (which allow for parking from 9 AM to 4 PM and after 6 PM). Looking in Google Streetview they changed the black diamond signs before May 2016 - over 2.5 years ago!

This means that from 9 AM to 10 AM, 3 PM to 4 PM, and 6 PM to 7 PM, it's not legal for regular cars and trucks to drive on King East! Which surely isn't the intent. :)

I just noticed in the recent (February 2018) Streetview imagery you can actually see both signs clearly in one shot!

I've been meaning to call 3-1-1 about this for months (apparently 30 of them!) - and I've finally done so.

1542214852581.png

1542214914543.png

The HOV lanes have no effect in any realistic way whatsoever, there's a reason it's gone unnoticed.
They are even more pointless now, as the pilot from Jarvis westward, has significantly reduced traffic from Parliament to Jarvis as well. It's MUCH easier to cross King mid-block now - even at rush hour. And part of the reason, I've waited years to say anything!

But I can't believe that they recently moved the HOV signs (it's right outside the Globe building now - previously it was closer to Princess) and reinstalled them, still with the conflicting timings!

The Modern Weave showroom closed about a year ago. It's a large, expensive space. The new Globe & Mail building still has a few storefronts waiting to be leased as well

The Modern Weave showroom closed about a year ago. It's a large, expensive space. The new Globe & Mail building still has a few storefronts waiting to be leased as well
They are working on the former Modern Weave place this week so it looks as though it has been rented. The ex-Starbucks @ George is more worrying as this is a historic (listed) row and they are not doing anything with it. Initially the story was that the fire restoration was bogged down in insurance claims as Starbucks was blamed for the fire and then they found that at some point several main beams had been cut so they (and roof) needed to be replaced (which they were.) As the building was certainly repaired enoiugh to make it weather proof it is odd they did not finish it off and re-opened it.

Strong rumours that a development proposal is in the works for the Esso station, the 'music practicing building' adjacent and the (recently opened) Tim Hortons @ Front & Sherbourne. As noted a few weeks ago, there was lots of soil drilling going on at the Esso so this seems quite possible.

There is a proposal for a new dental office at the corner of the Esplanade and Princess St, in the corner unit formerly home to Coffee Time and a short-lived Caribbean restaurant.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations
TORONTO ON M5A 4M8
Ward 13: Toronto Centre
Application#: 18 264813 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date: Dec 5, 2018
Project: Medical/Dental Office
Work: Interior Alterations
Description: Proposal for a new tenant fit out for a dental office

Well that's disappointing. Seems like we have more dentist offices than even laundromats and bank branches in this neighbourhood.

Well that's disappointing. Seems like we have more dentist offices than even laundromats and bank branches in this neighbourhood.

Well, I agree it's not particularly exciting, but it's a good sign to see practical amenities like these being provided for the thousands of people who have moved into the area in recent years and will continue to do so. That particular unit has some sort of issue that prohibits commercial kitchen exhaust systems from being installed so it could not be another restaurant, at least not one that actually cooked food on site. This is probably a reasonable tenant in the end.

There are no dentists south of Front east of Jarvis so it makes some sense and certainly better than the Coffee Time that was there until quite recently!

Back