News   Apr 25, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 974     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

St Lawrence Market

One could argue that aside from starchitect projects like a few parks designed by Cormier, Toronto is simply incapable of producing a decently designed, well built and properly maintained public realm. These few blocks of Wellington are a particularly sad example, but mostly we just can’t get our act together, and there are always a lot of perfectly valid reasons why it’s impossible. Maybe we should just give up on attempting major streetscape projects? We grind through a lot of money trying, and it often goes badly. If it goes at all. Or maybe give Waterfront Toronto oversight of the public realm in a somewhat expanded area? Dying trees aside, they don’t seem as clueless as the City. If my suggestion makes people sad then perhaps the alternative is to focus on completely reorganizing the way we plan, build and maintain our streetscapes, because insanity is surely doing the same thing over and over in the vain hope of achieving different results.

One could argue that aside from starchitect projects like a few parks designed by Cormier, Toronto is simply incapable of producing a decently designed, well built and properly maintained public realm. These few blocks of Wellington are a particularly sad example, but mostly we just can’t get our act together, and there are always a lot of perfectly valid reasons why it’s impossible. Maybe we should just give up on attempting major streetscape projects? We grind through a lot of money trying, and it often goes badly. If it goes at all. Or maybe give Waterfront Toronto oversight of the public realm in a somewhat expanded area? Dying trees aside, they don’t seem as clueless as the City. If my suggestion makes people sad then perhaps the alternative is to focus on completely reorganizing the way we plan, build and maintain our streetscapes, because insanity is surely doing the same thing over and over in the vain hope of achieving different results.

I've pointed out many successful streetscape projects in the City before and won't repeat the whole list.

There are too many failures though.

There are common elements to the failures.

The department most often responsible for the failure is Parks, Forestry and Recreation.

Partly, it is that they are stretched thin.

But there is also something of a can't do culture that has seeped into that department.

They don't take outside criticism well (other depts do take it better).

They don't sweat the details as well as they might.

In conjunction with Transportation which is another problem plagued department there are a lack of good project management skills; and there is too much tolerance of mediocrity.

Both can do better.

The best projects have generally been achieved with outside influence.....St. George Street had U of T, and an outside donor (Judy Matthews), at the design stage, but U of T has also actively managed the streetscape since construction.

Some of the better development based projects have been approved by the City by it was the developers landscape team that came up with the right solutions (irrigation, right species choice, barriers to salt penetration etc.)

There is a need to clean a lot of dead-wood out of both departments and replace 'yes people' with people who know and care about their fields.

There is a need for more project management expertise.

There is also a need for more resources (staff and capital dollars)

Finally there is a need for department leaders who when they see things running off the rails intervene and put their foot down.

I'd be leery of starting yet another agency to get into the alphabet soup of managing Toronto's public realm. But I do wonder if we shouldn't consider it. I've often wondered if we might designate certain prominent roads
and have them overseen for design purposes by a PCC (Provincial Capital Commission) that might also oversee key public spaces.

The latter might also be alternatively overseen by Conservancies.

But I do worry that this is just another layer of complexity and cost as opposed to fixing what we have.

On public realm/parks maintenance the following changes are what I would recommend.

One, utilities should share common conduit or fibre in where that makes sense to reduce the frequency of road/sidewalk dig ups.

Two, garbage/litter removal should be daily in all Toronto parks.

Three, all parks where grass is to be maintained should have irrigation.

Four, all parks/streetscape must be subject to aggressive salt-reduction plans by considering snow-melt systems, and alternative treatments and applications.

Where salt use remains necessary, paths should all be designed to mitigate this by either either lipping/bordering edges to reduce salt being sprayed/drained into landscapes or be edged by salt-tolerant plant choices.

Five, the City needs to hire more damned plumbers, they are acutely short vs demand.

Six, the City needs more 'foremen' who have the handy fix-it skills and can respond quickly to minor damage to things.

Seven, the City needs replacement parts for everything, in every design, stored in parks yards.

There should be replacements for every bench, light fixture, light bulb, designed waste receptacle, flower pot. ie. fixes should not wait for special orders or budget approvals.

Eight, when ever a surface is dug up in the City, it must be replaced by the same or like by the contractor who digs it up. (no replacing brick or even concrete with asphalt)

That’s a great list of achievable objectives. Perhaps aside from replacing deadwood as in my limited public sector experience a provincial agency couldn’t even fire an employee who had been charged by the police with committing a crime against another employee. I assume Toronto is no different. I’m going to forward these suggestions to my councillor.

I wonder if the screw up on Wellington is so profound, even by Toronto standards, that it could be designated as a test case for your ideas, especially the creation of a conservancy for the streets around Berczy.

I'm increasingly convinced that the problem simply lies in Toronto's incompetent bureaucracy. Every single project that Transportation attempts to undertake take 3 times as long and i'm sure goes way over budget.

Jarvis Street was supposed to be fully rebuilt by october, they didn't even finish replacing the watermain until January, and will return in the spring to rebuild the street.

Wellington is well documented above.

The new courthouse building beside the market is famously taking an unbelievable amount of time. If that project were private sector, heads would have rolled years ago. Time is big money in construction, and a site sitting fallow for years is simply unacceptable. They are of course seeing fruit of this as they can't build it under the approved budget as they have taken years to get it out to tender and construction costs have risen considerably since.

The new pedestrian bridge into Liberty Village has taken roughly twice as long to construct as originally planned, originally scheduled to open in September 2017, and now pushing a late spring 2019 opening.

Every road reconstruction project seems to be constantly delayed by several years. Adelaide was supposed to get it's ancient decrepit streetcar tracks ripped out and see it repaved this summer, that has now been delayed until at least 2021.

It's really quite unbelievable that a) the media doesn't discuss it more and b) nobody higher up in the city has even so much as realized it's a problem.

From a high level glance, other municipalities appear to be much more competent in this matter. Road projects generally start on time and while they can experience longer construction timelines due to complications, typically are completed within a generally acceptable timeframe to the original plan.

If that project were private sector, heads would have rolled years ago
Why do people spout off this cheesy talking point. The "private sector" has massively botched projects and service deliveries every week in Canada and pretty much zero heads ever roll, if not even some mid-level executive gets promoted out of it for handling the situation 'so well'. Jarvis Street taking longer than expected? Every Canadian bank is currently sitting on 100 major projects that are months if not years behind schedule and over-budget. It's stunning people believe our large private corporations are in any way better. THEY ARE WORSE. MUCH WORSE.

Why do people spout off this cheesy talking point. The "private sector" has massively botched projects and service deliveries every week in Canada and pretty much zero heads ever roll, if not even some mid-level executive gets promoted out of it for handling the situation 'so well'. Jarvis Street taking longer than expected? Every Canadian bank is currently sitting on 100 major projects that are months if not years behind schedule and over-budget. It's stunning people believe our large private corporations are in any way better. THEY ARE WORSE. MUCH WORSE.
- I'd love to hear of a project run by a major private company that was delayed by about 3 years in the tender process. Please, enlighten me.

The tender process for the St Lawrence North building is taking about as long as most private project's take over their entire construction cycle.

I'm not oblivious to delays in private sector projects - it happens. Private side delays are typically discussed in months though, not years. Certainly not in orders of magnitude longer timelines above the original schedule.

In fairness, the problems with the North Market are in large measure because the private company which won the contract (Bondfield) found it could not raise the funds for their performance bond and the City could not sign a contract without one. Yes, this all took 6 months and the contract took ages to award (or not award) and the City was slow to re-publish the tender call but....

Apparently the new bids have now been opened, it will be Interesting to see how much more it will cost and how the City will deal with this as all possible value engineering has probably already been done!

Last edited:
The Lavazza Coffee Bar in the King Eddy (King & Leader Lane) has closed. Not surprised as they were somewhat scattered and seem to run out of cups or plates quite often. The sign says that the space is being renovated and 'another high-end coffee bar' will open in about 6 weeks.

Hiro Sushi gone. Copetin gone. Many more storefronts on King East have been boarded up for months or more than a whole year now like the old Starbucks at King and George or the rug/carpeting store across the street at the base of the condo. This area is in trouble. There's already a lot of evening deadspace on corners occupied by bank branches, high-end designer furniture stores that see a handful of customers per day, or the mass expanse of George Brown. It's sad even what little was vibrant outside of daylight is being sucked away from King East.

Hiro Sushi gone. Copetin gone. Many more storefronts on King East have been boarded up for months or more than a whole year now like the old Starbucks at King and George or the rug/carpeting store across the street at the base of the condo. This area is in trouble. There's already a lot of evening deadspace on corners occupied by bank branches, high-end designer furniture stores that see a handful of customers per day, or the mass expanse of George Brown. It's sad even what little was vibrant outside of daylight is being sucked away from King East.

Copetin is being replaced by this:

There is definitely a problem with retail vacancies across Toronto, mainly a side-effect of high rents caused by high real estate prices and building owners who would rather wait for a big chain than take a risk on a small business. But I don't think King East is affected any more than elsewhere.

As Northern Light pointed out, Copetin is already in the process of being replaced. There is also renovation work going on in the former carpeting store, which suggests it won't be vacant forever. Other new businesses have opened recently, including the Poet cafe and Pi Co at King and Church. A new Roti place is replacing the tired-looking Hot Spot cafe near Sherbourne. Hiro retired, I'm sure something new will take the space soon.

The Starbucks that was in the building that burned just moved a few blocks further east. The burned building remains vacant because I suspect a lot of expensive renovations will be required to make it usable again. The building adjacent to that, which most recently housed the briefly-lived coal fired pizza joint, is currently being converted to a Cora's breakfast joint.

King East has never been a night-life spot aside from the island that is Betty's. And honestly, like many people who live in the area, I'm okay with that. Condo buildings love having banks and swanky furniture stores on the ground floor: they are quiet businesses that close early and don't create smells, noise or hooting/peeing drunks. Anyone who lives in this area who wants to go out on the town is only a short TTC or Uber ride from all the excitement they want.

Things have actually improved since you previously brought this up:
  • The former Mordern Weave space is being renovated for a new tenant.
  • Indian Butter Chicken Roti just opened a new location at King & Frederick, across from George Brown.
  • The Copetin/Origin restaurant at King & Church was a high-risk chef-driven concept. It was never going to last long.
  • I can't remember if The Poet Cafe (173 King) opened before or after your last doom & gloom proclamation, but it's doing well, as is Neo coffee bar, which is getting all kinds of recognition for their desserts. Same goes for Roselle.
  • The extremely cool new playground at St James Park has opened and is already contributing to the vibrancy of the park.
  • Klaus is opening an expansion in 296 King St E, which was vacant for years. It almost became an Ikea concept store a few years ago, then a failed design company occupied it for a while. I think Brad Lamb bought the building with the intention of building a condo and was unsuccessful.
  • Former UpCountry location at King & Berkeley is being converted into office space for a new tenant (UpCountry didn't go out of business; the landlord wanted to change the building's purpose and didn't renew their lease).
  • The hilariously tacky furniture store that left 326 King is being replaced by some sort of training academy.
  • The building that housed Starbucks and an architect's office at King & George was badly damaged by fire a few years ago. It's one of the city's oldest buildings. I'm sure that's a contributing factor to its continued vacancy (plus, the landlord is probably some stubborn geezer). Anyway, Starbucks reopened at Sherbourne over a year ago.
A ton of new office space is in the pipeline between Berkeley and Princess St. as well, which will add to the variety of uses.

Honestly, not bad for a neighbourhood characterized by seniors, students and tourists.

Last edited:
King East is certainly less "busy' than King West but, as @grey notes, it is not dead. The new residential developments though, IMO, not all are really 'architecturally' appropriate to this historic neighbourhood) will bring in MANY new residents - (158 Front, 197 Front, the block on King between Princess and Ontario, the Staples site plus the additional offices beside the Globe & Mail building and at 25 Ontario are all 'moving along'. The smaller building at 65 George and the development on top of the Esso station are further out but will undoubtedly happen, in some form.

I've been living in the area since 2004 (Richmond and George, and now Church and Adelaide) and work just a few blocks away so I know and experience, personally, the changes in the neighnbourhood.

Hiro is retiring https://hirosushi.to/ Copetin is being replaced by an "offshoot of Vancouver-based pub Score on Davie" https://nowtoronto.com/food-and-drink/food/new-toronto-restaurants-march-5/ and https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2019/03/vancouver-pub-caesars-toronto-location/ And, much of what CityPainter and grey have mentioned above holds true. The stretch of the King East has always been a niche destination and on the quieter side https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...but-still-surprisingly-quiet/article20703897/ I purchased my pre-construction condo in 2001 (and moved in 2004) for the precise reason that King East is not abuzz with activity compared to other downtown neighbourhoods.

Back