News   Apr 24, 2024
 939     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

St Lawrence Market

I didn't know they were doing that. That makes for a more pleasant walk to Union, sticking to Esplanade, rather than Front. Now if only they add one at Bay as well (though at least there's the overhead walkway along platform 3).

Starbucks (yes, another one!) and Freshii will be opening in the Globe and Mail building, at the northwest corner of Front and Berkeley.

Someone posted this image from 1989 advertising 222 The Esplanade (York Town on the Park) in the Vintage Toronto Facebook group, I thought I'd share it here.

1989.jpg

Attachments

• 1989.jpg
    1989.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 428
I understand that the proper heritage lighting of St James Cathedral is moving ahead well (a joint City and Church project) - it will apparently be done 'soon'. The City are also working on properly (heritage) lighting the South St Lawrence Market and the Young Peoples Theatre buildings, both of which are City owed.

Good to hear! But man, I'd love to see the Gooderham building get the proper heritage lighting it deserves. The half burnt out led's around the top look horrible, and it's probably the most photographed building in the city (CN Tower is not a building! :p).

"I'd love to see the Gooderham building get the proper heritage lighting it deserves."
slicecom

When first installed, neither the BIA nor the contractor, knew as to WHY or HOW, or even the COLOUR
to be properly presented; why differ now.

The above, referencing of the private buildings within the area, are on the S/S of Front St
between Scott and Church Streets, but not including the West most and East most properties.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Good to hear! But man, I'd love to see the Gooderham building get the proper heritage lighting it deserves. The half burnt out led's around the top look horrible, and it's probably the most photographed building in the city (CN Tower is not a building! :p).
The City (and the BIA) would love to see the Gooderham properly lit but the problem is that it is privately owned and the City (or BIA) cannot pay for doing so. The owner has to and s/he does not want to (at least HAS not wanted to). The City owns St Lawrence Hall, St Lawrence Market and the Young Peoples Theatre buildings so can pay for the work there (using heritage lighting funds collected through Section 37 funds) and the St James lighting is a joint effort with the Anglicans and the City part is connected to the lighting (and other) improvements to St James Park.

I hope this is better than the "extended" hours during Pan Am, when they basically left the doors unlocked an extra hour, but most of the vendors still shuttered at 5/6pm anyway.

While I assume the public space between the new North Market and Market Square will be improved as part of the rebuild, it's unfortunate that it's been left in such a neglected state during the tourist season. The planter would look better with nothing in it.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    912.7 KB · Views: 342
While I assume the public space between the new North Market and Market Square will be improved as part of the rebuild, it's unfortunate that it's been left in such a neglected state during the tourist season. The planter would look better with nothing in it.
Yes, it's a mess and the SLNA, BIA and the Councillor are 'on it'. The fountain cannot work as it got water from the demolished North Market but the raised bed was tidied up, a bit, a few days ago and there are hopes for more. Call 311!

Back