News   Apr 19, 2024
 58     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 411     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 642     1 

St Lawrence Market

The site of the former Hank's Restaurant on Church Street between Front and The Esplanade has just reopened (or is just about to reopen) as MEXICAN cantina
The Mexican place opened today. It was good. Soft opening but food and service were good.

The Burger King on Front St. remains closed - someone tweeted at Burger King Canada who indicated the following...

"The franchisee decided to close the restaurant and we are evaluating options for a potential re-opening"

So that's that for the moment.

"What's going on with the Burger King and Angelo's Coal Fired Pizza at Front and George? Closed for about 7 day, sign on pizza place says there was a flood but no sign of work or water or mess. Sign on BK says sorry for inconvenience but no reason. No response from phone calls or emails. Anyone know the real story? Angelos was a good addition to the neighborhood "

"The Burger King on Front St. remains closed - someone tweeted at Burger King Canada who indicated the following...
"The franchisee decided to close the restaurant and we are evaluating options for a potential re-opening"
So that's that for the moment.

SO, what is the story on Angelo's Coal Fired Pizza?
(See above.)

Regards,
J T

I ate at Angelo's once, and found it distinctly underwhelming, with relatively tasteless pizzas, ridiculously plain iceberg lettuce salads, and poor service.

I ate at Angelo's once, and found it distinctly underwhelming, with relatively tasteless pizzas, ridiculously plain iceberg lettuce salads, and poor service.

Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. Not bad, just nothing special at all. I cant believe so many pizza places keep doing the Neapolitan style thing in this town and not one has tried to do a Chicago style pizza! The last thing we need is more Neapolitan style pizza joints!

Double D's at Gerrard and Marjory just opened, and does Chicago-style deep dish. That combined with Descendant just down the street, and I'm getting ready to have a wardrobe that is entirely sweatpants-based.

Is this article accurate? I thought it was some sort of flood that also affected the neighbouring BK? It would be quite the coincidence for both to close (at relatively the same time).

I liked Angelo's, and there always seemed to be a number of people in it whenever I walked by despite it's location - agreed that it's not the best spot. I thought the pizza was tasty enough, but the price was too high for my wallet. But then I feel the same way about Harlem/George St. Diner/Les Petit Dejeuner/etc. and those places (especially the latter two) are pretty busy.

I'd love to see a good Pho restaurant down in that area. Pho places tend to be quite affordable meals - especially compared to ramen shops.

Is this article accurate? I thought it was some sort of flood that also affected the neighbouring BK? It would be quite the coincidence for both to close (at relatively the same time).

I liked Angelo's, and there always seemed to be a number of people in it whenever I walked by despite it's location - agreed that it's not the best spot. I thought the pizza was tasty enough, but the price was too high for my wallet. But then I feel the same way about Harlem/George St. Diner/Les Petit Dejeuner/etc. and those places (especially the latter two) are pretty busy.

I'd love to see a good Pho restaurant down in that area. Pho places tend to be quite affordable meals - especially compared to ramen shops.

The BlogTO article is not 100% accurate (e.g. the restaurant that Angello's replaced -Paganinni - had been there in one form or another for 20 years) BUT it is true that Angellos did NOT close because of a 'flood' and both it and Burger King closed due to lack of customers (or profits). Angellos got VERY mixed reviews and the BK was never crowded and did not open early on Saturday mornings (when the area is quite busy due to Market opening at 5am). The area can support a good range of places but there are already lots of pizza ones and opening a BK across the street from a busy McDonalds may not have been the best idea!

How about the b.good a couple of doors away? It seemed busy when I was in but that was a while ago.

Though it expanded into 'Downtown" the Bulletin started as the St Lawrence 'newspaper'. I suspect it is in its death throes and that the online only will not last but I guess we shall see. Print community papers everywhere are in trouble and most do not survive the move to online only:

The Bulletin goes electronic for 2017 & beyond
Posted by: Bulletin Editor in 'HOODS, 0RSS December 31, 2016 0 74 Views

Good riddance, 2016! You’ve been a tumultuous year, 2016, and since this New Year number ends in 7, we can hope it lives up to its reputation as a bearer of good luck.

For The Bulletin, November 2016 was the final month we printed a newspaper. From now on, The Bulletin remains “in The Cloud,” available here online at www.thebulletin.ca.

Thanks for posting that link.

Actually, online readership is up and has been up for some time. It's not on par with the truly huge readership that Urban Toronto sees, but we're happy with where we are at this point. And, like UT, we welcome contributions from community members. (I've got an opening for someone who wants to provide coverage of recent Order of Canada appointments. ;-) Let me know if you want to take it on.)

We are sad to have to suspend printing (for now?) but look forward to getting more out of daily news online than we could out of a monthly edition. We've had lots of calls from long-time loyal readers looking for the print edition. After 20 years of covering this beat, we appreciate the support.

Back