News   Mar 28, 2024
 165     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

St Lawrence Market

Starbucks at Front & Frederick is being replaced by Olivia Eats.

I think this is a good change. Oliva seems to be more than just a "coffee shop" with a pretty big emphasis on food. If the prices are reasonable (there are no prices on their online menus) then I think they can do very well selling breakfasts and lunches to office workers and students.

The Starbucks closure was apparently planned to happen, since there are two newer locations that have opened nearby (King and Sherbourne, Front and Berkeley) and the location on Front St near the St. Lawrence Market has been freshly renovated (for at least the third time I can recall...)

Last edited:
The food menu looks very plain, but I'm sure it will do well considering that Starbucks was fairly busy even with Neo just across the street.

Last edited:
I think this is a good change. Olivia seems to be more than just a "coffee shop" with a pretty big emphasis on food. If the prices are reasonable (there are no prices on their online menus) then I think they can do very well selling breakfasts and lunches to office workers and students.

The Starbucks closure was apparently planned to happen, since there are two newer locations that have opened nearby (King and Sherbourne, Front and Berkeley) and the location on Front St near the St. Lawrence Market has been freshly renovated (for at least the third time I can recall...)
It's actually OLIVA (not Olivia)

It's actually OLIVA (not Olivia)

Oops! Good catch.

On other news nearby, I noticed the 'for lease' signs on the former Burger King at 106 Front St E are gone, and there's a brand new building permit related to ""interior alterations to existing ground floor restaurant". So it seems it will be another restaurant, anyone have details?

Oops! Good catch.

On other news nearby, I noticed the 'for lease' signs on the former Burger King at 106 Front St E are gone, and there's a brand new building permit related to ""interior alterations to existing ground floor restaurant". So it seems it will be another restaurant, anyone have details?

Looks like it's going to be a fitness club, "F45 Fitness" according to the building permit. No more Whoppers. It's a sad day.

Looks like it's going to be a fitness club, "F45 Fitness" according to the building permit. No more Whoppers. It's a sad day.

I think the gym is going into the unit just behind, where the Upfront (and later Brush) sports bars used to be, no? This permit is from January:

Application: Building Additions/Alterations
Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#: 17 272702 BLD 00 BA
Issued Date: Jan 9, 2018
Project: Fitness Centre
Work: Interior Alterations
Description: Proposal for interior alteration to existing non-residential unit (unit 102) for new commercial school/recreation use (gym/fitness centre) - Tenant- F45 Training Related to 17 237473 ZPR​

But this new permit appeared today, just after the Burger King signs came down, and it seems to imply the location will remain a restaurant:

Application: Building Additions/Alterations
Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#: 18 124952 BLD 00 BA
Issued Date: Mar 16, 2018
Project: Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats
Work: Interior Alterations
Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing ground floor restaurant.​

It's a bit hard to tell since the permits don't always seem to list unit numbers, but I'm crossing my fingers that we're getting both a gym and a restaurant in that plaza. Now we just need someone to take over that failed pizza joint.... and the burnt-out Starbucks... but I ask too much.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/food-markets/

Top 10 Food Markets

St. Lawrence, Toronto, Canada
This farmers market emporium has operated since 1803, when it cohabited with Toronto’s city hall. Redeveloped between the 1970s and 1990s after long neglect, the area’s mix of homes and businesses showcases urban regeneration. More than 120 retailers dispense everything from seafood to coffee. Planning: The market is in Toronto’sold town; Saturday is market day.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/food-markets/

Top 10 Food Markets

St. Lawrence, Toronto, Canada
This farmers market emporium has operated since 1803, when it cohabited with Toronto’s city hall. Redeveloped between the 1970s and 1990s after long neglect, the area’s mix of homes and businesses showcases urban regeneration. More than 120 retailers dispense everything from seafood to coffee. Planning: The market is in Toronto’s old town; Saturday is market day.
They said this about 4 years ago and, though I love the St L Market, it is clearly ridiculous to put it in the world's top 10.

IF I remember correctly, that article is from 2011. It gets trotted out every now And again on sites like BlogTO.

Last edited:
" It gets trotted out every now And again on sites like BlogTO every so often."

I suppose, that Olde Tyme Continuity, is in all ways better than notimecontinuity.

Regards,
J T

Finally, the City have posted the tender to improve the lighting in and of the St Lawrence Market. If I understand right, this includes proper 'heritage lighting' of exterior.See https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/681C71A994266ECD852582560062F3E9?OpenDocument

Now, if only they could bully the merchants into sensible hours.

LOL

If the total hours stayed the same, but they closed Mon-Tues and opened Sundays.

and

Shifted Saturday hours 2 hours later.

That would be most welcome.

Back